Yamaha announce RXV667 and RXV767 AV receivers

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The £450 RXV667 and £600 RXV767 should be available in UK stores by the end of July.

Both receivers are equipped with HDMI 1.4a connections and can handle 3D video from Blu-ray straight out of the box. In addition, there are six HDMI inputs, one HDMI ouput on the RXV667 and two on the RXV767.

Power output is 7 x 90W RMS on the 667 and 7 x 95W RMS on the 767.

Both models get video upscaling to 1080p via a revamped video processor as well as a new GUI.

22682h.jpg

22682swatch.jpg

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?YAMAHA-RX-V767&item=4290ad39fdc5804adf3d84d0317ae51a

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?item=c6a846315d18893f33f4b1880de03715&rlog=nxtprv

Last edited:
Looks like the top half has been 'borrowed' from Pioneer and the new Sony range.

Borrowed? Does that mean that they'll have to give them back? :confused:

borrowerswastebin.jpg

Yamaha product designers awaiting trial for plagiarism

It looks as if the 667 sits slightly below last years 765 and the 767, slightly above the 765 (from what I recall of the initial prices of last years models at launch).

It would be nice to know how the rest of the range pans out in regards to the 1065 and 2065 replacments, not to mention the 3900.

I'm gearing up to a new purchase and like what Yamaha have so far announced, but the older models still look very appealing too, especially when the street price of an RXV2065 isn't that much more than what Yamaha are expecting to get for he RXV767. The 667 on he other hand does offer more value for money when compared to Yamaha's outgoing models.

I'm gearing up to a new purchase and like what Yamaha have so far announced, but the older models still look very appealing too, especially when the street price of an RXV2065 isn't that much more than what Yamaha are expecting to get for he RXV767. The 667 on he other hand does offer more value for money when compared to Yamaha's outgoing models.

I still think that £850-£900 for the RX-V3900 represents excellent value for money for an (almost) uber AVR.

I still think that £850-£900 for the RX-V3900 represents excellent value for money for an (almost) uber AVR.

Yes indeed. A little beyond what I was planning on spending though and I don't really have the space or the speakers to do the RXV3900 justice. If Yamaha launch a replacement for the RXV2065 then I'd probably consider that, but I'd also leave it until next year when the prices come down to nearer what the RXV2065 is currently being sold for.

Yes indeed. A little beyond what I was planning on spending though and I don't really have the space or the speakers to do the RXV3900 justice.

A prime example of perceptions being misleading here - I had you down as having a high end set-up. (Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying, i'm not being condescending or a braggat) :)

I know you've owned Yamahas amps before, so it's good to know you're coming back to the fold! :D :hiya:

A prime example of perceptions being misleading here - I had you down as having a high end set-up. (Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying, i'm not being condescending or a braggat) :)

Nah, bargain bucket job. I purposely avoided buying anything more than I actually needed at the time. ;)

I'd love a high end set up, but space doesn't allow for it so can't warrant the expenditure. I've reached a point in my life where I make do and don't grumble about not having the best of everything. I've had enough experience of audio to know that the price you pay doesn't directly equate to the quality of sound you get.

Current amp is a meagre Sony STRDG820 which is an excellent amp for the money I paid for it. I recently replaced an ageing pair of Acoustic Energy 109s with some Q Acoustics 2050s and a 2000c centre speaker, not because there was anything wrong with the AE speakers, but because it was't proving easy to find a matching centre for them. Surrounds are a pair of Yamaha NSE105s and I've a BK GeminiII sub. Other bits of kit includes a Sony Bravia KDL32V5500, Virgin V+, Yamaha CDX-880, PS3 Slim, Sony RDR-HXD870 and a SONY BDP-S370. I've also a Jamo MR centre and a Yamaha DSP-A595a connected to a Sony KDL26U2000 in another room which I now use the AE speakers with. There's my computer and various hard drives too. I've an iMac and about 4TBs of external storage all in all .

Nearly forgot to mention the Harmony 525 and the Harmony One. :D

Last edited:
It's all about the laws of diminishing returns!

I upgraded to the Yamaha I have now and Monitor Audios speakers from the same Sony STRDG820 and Tannoy F4s/FCs/F1s. I was happy with the performance but fell in to the upgrading trap. My only grumble with the sony was when decoding a 2.0 into 5.1 the centre speaker and rear speakers hissed quite a bit, but apart from that it was astonishing value for money.

It's reassuring that such a well respected member is disciplined and doesn't need to back up their knowledge with high gear - which back on topic, I think that the new range of Yamahas fit the bill.

Mmmmm food for thought there.

Just about to pull the trigger on a 765. Do I wait now and get a 667 ??

Reckon there will be bargain 765s around in the next month?

Mmmmm food for thought there.

Just about to pull the trigger on a 765. Do I wait now and get a 667 ??

Reckon there will be bargain 765s around in the next month?

Unless 3D TV is important to you, then the 765 may be the better option. Comparing initial release prices of the 765 and 667, the 765 is a slightly better amp.

The 667 will give you HDMI 1.4 which will give you complete choice of 3D BR players; the 765 will still work with 3D blueray players, but you'll have to buy a Panasonic one or any other model that has 2 HDMI outs -- one for audio and one for video.

The extra HDMI inputs on the new models are also a consideration.

I suspect the supply of 765s will dry up fairly soon.

Come on Yamaha and get the full range out. That way I can pick up a second hand 3900 or even Z7 at a more reasonable price :smashin:.

I still think Yamaha is missing a trick in not releasing an AV processor. They could take the Z7 and drop its power amp section and sell it for £1000. :thumbsup: I would definitely buy one second hand for £500 in a year or two :D.

I think a processor based on the Z7 would come out at more than £1k. Obviously you have the casing costs, the whole pre-amp section, remote and relevant circuitry, and I'm sure they wouldbe forward thinking enough to assume that an AV enthusiast would more than likely need more HDMI's - so an add on processor would have 8-10 HDMI's. I think it'd be closer to £1,500.....

Both models get video upscaling to 1080p via a revamped video processor as well as a new GUI.

This would have been useful a few years ago but I understand they have to keep costs down. On the other hand, anyone with analogue equipment will have to make do - are 6 HDMI really necessary?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the total of connections on the image (AV/component etc.)

Last edited:
are 6 HDMI really necessary?

All four on my 1900 are in use, so six is not a bad idea, though the one on the front has very limited use as it's not ideal for a permanent conncetion. So, there's really only five 'effective' HDMI ins.

All four on my 1900 are in use, so six is not a bad idea, though the one on the front has very limited use as it's not ideal for a permanent conncetion. So, there's really only five 'effective' HDMI ins.

One of the reasons for my purchase of my current amp was because of its 4 HDMI inputs (with audio). I too now find myself using all 4 inputs and still there are additional components Ithink I may want to add in the near to middling future. Five inputs to the rear is a nice touch, but not so sure about the need for an input on the front. Do you really need to hook up a HD camera to an AV amp when it's as easy to connect it directly to your display?

I like the possibility of 2 HDMI outputs on a cheaper amp. The 767 is the first AV amp to offer 2 outputs at this level and I'm wondering whether other manufacturers will follow in Yamaha's foot steps?

I have a really old Yamaha amp now DSP AX620 with no HDMI inputs or outputs :(.

Really looking forward to upgrading to either the RX-V667 or the RX-V767 with it's 2 HDMI outputs, ideal for when I get a projector.

any news on these - are they available yet? Thinking of the 767, as I've just bought a 3D TV,and need to output to my TV and projector. Currently have an unnecessarily complex setup of HDMI switches to accomplish it which could be replaced by the 767.

very interesting, I have recently purchased a Samsung 3D TV so am needing a 1.4 ready amp for my sources (at the moment unplugging and connecting on the fly in order to play 3D PS3 games and the imminent delivery of my 3D Blu Rays) how does this amp compare to my Onkyo 875, am a little concerned that I keep downgrading, I had a Denon KAVC-A1SE prior to this. Is there anything else on or coming soon, I was looking at the Onkyo 1008 as a replacement. Would the 767 be appropriate for for driving my THX Series 500 Speakers or am I loosing something significant?

Thanks for any help
Pete

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom