1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha amps DD sounds beter than dts?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by leedebs, May 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Had my Yamaha RX SL80 receiver for about a month or so now, really pleased with it.
    The amp I had before (Sony digital amp STR-KSL5) has now been moved to another room.
    On the Sony when you switched from DD & DTS (when the soundtrack allowed this) there was a definite increase in both volume & drive.
    Now when I do the same with the Yamaha there doesn't appear to be ANY difference whatsover, in fact DTS seems lower. I should add that switching to ES or EX on both soundtracks where available sounds :smashin: but still the same difference.
    Any thoughts?
    eg: Blade 2 is the most obvious one I can think of, extremely loud in DD-EX but DTS-ES sounds a bit lower, particularly speech, but also the bass.
    Do I need to change anything, have I set something up wrong?
    :lease:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It all depends on what effort they have put into a certain recording. Its true that dts has more bandwidth but if they don't choose to use it properly then thats another thing.

dts is usualy quieter than dd too, thats normal.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    the selling point of :dts: isnt supposed to be 'louder' than :DD: but that it creates a 'better' sound stage.

For the majority of films I would agree that DTS is better than DD but I do have a few films where I prefer the DD effects.

A lot comes down to personal taste, DTS and DD is simply 2 different companies way of doing the same thing - due to DTS being rarer and being able to use more bandwidth then people see it as better but it is only as good as what the sound engineers have done with it.

4. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I didn't mean that :dts: was meant to be louder, only that on my previous amp it sounded louder & slightly bassier? is that a word?
    As I said the Blade 2 soundtrack is supposed to be :thumbsup: in :dts: whereas the :dd: track is meant to be ok, the reverse is true on the Yammy........is this correct? Is this true of Yammy amps normally or just their latest amps?
    Any Yammy owners care to comment? Can someone try the Blade 2 tracks with the DTS-ES track & the DD-EX track & then in vanilla DD & DTS modes for me :lease: Thanks :D

5. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I always thought it was the other way round???? :(

6. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I own a Yamaha DSPAX750SE and the sound is much more atmospheric (is THAT a word??) when watching a film in DTS. To my ears it also sounds more dynamic in DTS Neo 6 than DD Pro Logic II. Maybe my ears are different to others though!

7. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    ok can u do me a favour then & have a listen to Blade 2 on yours.
    First select the DD-EX track & then the DTS-ES track......... :smashin:
    On my Yammy they sound virtually identical YET on the Sony amp the DTS track sounds a LOT louder & dynamic, would be interested to know if I have a problem with the amp or whether I just need to adjust something on one of the menus etc.
    Just tried Underworld & it's the same, I am pretty sure that the DTS track on this sounds incredbly louder on the Sony yet again on the Yammy BOTH tracks sound the same :(
    I guess it doesn't matter as long as nothing is "wrong" with me amp :lease:

8. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Have u noticed whether DTS is louder though?
    The reason I say louder is I remember when The fast & the Furious first came out on DVD everyone on here saying how LOUD the DTS track was........sure enough on my Sony amp it was.....don't get me wrong the DD sounds good, but defo not as loud........haven't tried this film yet on the Yammy......would be interested to know other peoples views on this :rolleyes:

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Sure your selecting dts from the dvd menu and not just clicking dts on your amp? as that wouldn't do anything. Maybe the yamaha doesn't have very good dts decoding or maybe better DD. Also remember the RX SL80 is a lifestyle product, what was the sony? was it a 'proper' full sized amp or a all in one/lifestyle product?

10. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yes I am selecting DTS, tried lots of DVD's yesterday.........all sound similar.
    Yes the Sony was a similar "lifestyle" product.
    Maybe the Yamaha shows up better the negligible difference between the 2 decoding methods eh? Seems Sony's DTS decoding is obviously more pronounced.
    Have searched this site & confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the amp.
    Thanks for your input.

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Blade 2 the Dolby and DTS tracks used the same mix its identical try The Haunting DTS which uses a different mix.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're just hearing what you're supposed to be hearing - no difference. (flame suit on - exit stage right...)

13. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I switched between the dts and dd on XXX and the dts is a lot louder on my sony amp not by a little bit but a lot,the bass in particular is more evident with the dts sound track.

14. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I thought that the DTS track on the Blade 2 DVD was meant to be flawed, certain that there was some mention that the bass was lacking on the dts track during the disco scene, very surprised if the mix is the same.
    Haven't tried the haunting dts but from memory the dd track is no slouch either.
    I personally think that the Sony I have seems tweaked for DTS, no problem........just saves me flicking soundtracks during films & asking the missus "does that sound better?" :boring: The yammie obviously decodes DD a lot better :smashin:

15. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hee hee :thumbsup: wonder if that starts up another dts fanboy thread? ;)

16. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have played the same clip using the decoder in my pioneer dvd player and the difference in the sound is the same ,this rules out the sony boosting the dts,its more than likely down to the disc.

17. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    well i always look for DTS as on my yamaha vs-10 the sound difference is outstanding...like comparing visual video to DVD.
    DD is shown as 5.1 whereas DTS is 6.1 maybe just the manufacturers playing games?
    However i have to select a DTS fix mode on the vs-10 which uses a different method than switching between the likes of dd 5.1 and virtual surround and the likes. it is almost a
    hidden feature as i did not discover it until i had read the instructions through a couple of times. i use a sony s725d which has a blue light to indicate dts is available and when this light is on the vs10 gives me a further option of dts, this sounds no different to the dd. however if i select dts 6.1 on the dvd menu i get no sound from the ts-10 until i press and hold down the input button (which incidently is how i select, tv, dvd or video mode)as opposed to the dsp button which selects the sound format usually. when both are switched to DTS the sound really comes alive, volume, bass and the sound spacing/dynamics are all far superior . The cd does have to be connected via a TOSLINK and is not available through the normal RCA connections.
    appreciation that this is a different model to yours but certainly worth having another read of the book of words maybe.
    Hope this helps. Ian
    ps the volume level is considerable, almost double and that is using blade 2 :smashin:

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I just listened to the opening 10 mins and the apartment/car scene of my region 3 import of Underworld in :dd: first and then :dts:.

IMHO the :dts: soundtrack is more open, dynamic and powerful than the :dd: version. The :dd: one just seems to lack drive :(