Yamaha AMP's - 630 vs 630SE vs RXV630

jonny m

Standard Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the above, RS are offering the 630 for £250, other dealers sell the 630SE for about £50 more, any benefit to getting the SE model??

Also are the RXV reciever models more tuned to music or it is just a extra radio tuner ??

Thanks in advance

John

RX-V630RDS is the tuner version may be listed as rxv630
DSP-AX630SE is the amp with no tuner may be listed as dsp630

You may see extra letters (i think ti) for silver (titanium)

Under the skin they're all the same except for the tuner & for £250 the dsp is a steal - even with the 640 about to be released.

Apart from 192/24 bit dacs + DTS Discrete 6.1/Neo:6 in the new 740/640 are there any other changes from the 630??

Im upgrading from a DSP A5 will I notice much difference??

Cheers
John

Hijacked,

Anyone know if the new series of Yammys will be available in Gold here?

Cheers and sorry for the Hijack,

Matthew

according to avland as usual Gold for some reason will not make it to these shores??

Anyone with any idea why anwers on a postcard please.....

John

jonny m - I went into RS to buy one and the one I got was the 630SE for that bargain £250 price. I think they sell the 630SE as standard. Also managed to get a Yamaha centre for £20 (the Yamaha NSC120), which is supposedly reduced from £150 according to their web site, and was priced around £60 in-store.. It was one of the usual "I don't think we've got those" responses initially, but I managed to get them to check if they had stock and prise one out of them. Very pleased with all of this - great price and they threw in some decent speaker cable too. The 630SE is great, although I must admit I'm a bit of a newbie, but did a lot of research on here and there seem to be a lot of people happy with it.

Thanks all,

Still undecided what to go for as I want a bit of an upgrade from the dsp a5 specifically better stereo as well as DPL II + component switching + 6 channels.

I think I'll try to see what the 640 will be like for stereo and make my decision on that.

MY budget is aroud £300 and I really want improved stereo, I don't know whether to just get the 630 and then a cambridge audio amp or a cheap nad. The other good stereo amp Marantz 5300@£400 is just too much for me to justify.

The thing is I just need abit better stereo performance that the dsp a5, if it was abit better then I would be happy with that. My kit is Phillips 963sa as the dvd/cd/sacd player and mission 773e speakers as my stereo pair, it was only after hooking up these 2 I realised the shortcommings of the a5.

In a quandry....:confused: :confused: :confused:

John

Marantz 5300 ....... £340 inc at Unbeatable

or how about the Marantz 4300

Just make sure if you do go for the Marantz, you get one without a delay problem.

I think I am going to get the Yam 630 + NAD 350 (rrp300) stereo amp total £400 at RS, as I don't think the 5300 is better for movies than the 630 and I don't think its better than the nad for stereo.

A one box solution does have some advantages though!!

What do you think???

Should I just get a marantz???

Cheers
John

I had a Marantz 5300, which sounded good for music and movies. After taking it back due to the delay problem, I have sinced listened to the Yam 630.

To my cloth ears the Yam 630 sounded similar if not slightly better for movies and there wasn't much in it with music. But this wasn't a side by side comparison.

Why not ask RS if you can buy and trial at home, I think they have a fourteen days return policy, or if you take out the extended warranty, you have a 30 day cooling off period. So if you're not happy, just return it for your cash back.

By the way do you know if the Yamahas from RS are UK models ?

If they aren't does it make any difference ?

I just bought a Yamaha DSP AX630 from RS today....and I LOVE it.

I can confirm that it is the UK/SE version, and I recommend it highly.

HTH
OB

Ordered the last 630 in unbeatables warehouse, they matched RS's price which was nice.

Tried my local RS but they didn't have any in stock.

Looking to be impressed from my dsp a5.

Cheers
John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom