1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha amps 6.1 plus effects at the same time ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave H, Dec 13, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi Iam thinking of upgrading my A1 to one of the new Yamaha amps but I don't think any of them do 6/7.1 plus front effects at the same time.
    is there anything in the pipeline soon or do I have to get a AZ1 instead ?

Dave.

2. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well working up from the A1, You have various models which all do 6.1 plus the front effects. These are the AX1, AX2, AZ1, AZ2 and of course the now flagship model the AZ9. I opted for the AZ1 which is a good piece of kit but it seemed to come and go quite quietly and is now very rarely advertised for sale as it's bigger brother the AZ9 is the one now on the market. No doubt if you look hard enough you could probably get hold of any one of the models I have mentioned?

Brad

3. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I was looking at some of the newer models but they don't seem to do 6/7.1 plus effects at the same time.

Dave.

4. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Are you talking about prescence speakers?

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm fairly sure the 1400 and 2400 (and the 1500 and 2500, too, I guess) allowed front presence and full 4 speaker rears simultaneously. It's the cheaper 750 model that only allows one or the other.

6. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    ... I have an Ax1 and it certainly does allow a centre rear and front effects together... no probs.

D

7. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are talking about receivers then I can honestly say that I don´t think that any of the receivers were equipped with "front presence speakers" but all amps working up from the DSPA3090 until the now DSPAZ9 do infact have this facility. As stated earlier I have the Z1 and there is a selector switch at the rear which allows you to enable/disable this feature. So if it´s amps that you are talking about I don´t know why you are saying the "Newer models", the newest models are the AZ1 and AZ9, so if you have spotted other models then it´s news to me. Have a look at the Yamaha website and see what is available for yourself?

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I am positive that the 1400 and 2400 receivers have the front presence channels. I'm fairly sure that the 1500 and 2500 will have them, too.

The amps that don't are the lower end models, like the 630, 640, etc..

The 750 has the presence channels, but it's optional in that the 6th and 7th amplified channels can be used as front presence, rather than rear effects (it also has spring clips for front presence, while the rear effects have binding posts, which I find very strange).

9. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I was thinking about the 1400 or the new 1500 but Iam sure that you can't have the front effect ( presence ) speakers and the rear center at the same time, which is no use to me.

Dave.

10. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Funny, I was sure that when I got my 750 that the 1400 and 2400 could have both (presence and rear effects) simultaneously, but having just looked at the manuals that's not the case. Looks like you're stuck with spending big for an AZ something. The AZ1 and 2 are probably dinosaurs in terms of technology now. I don't think they have overall audio delay, do they?

11. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as I said in my previous post, according to the yamaha website none of the receivers have presence channels. All of the amps from the 3090 up to the Z9 do. The AZ1 does have overall audio delay and I said the top of the ladder currently is the AZ9. If you go to the website and have a look at specs for each rx and amp you will see that there is dedicated power output specs for the presence channels on the amps but none are listed for the rx´rs. But if you say that presence channels on the rx´rs can be utilised vice the rear effects then that´s new to me

12. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 1500 and it does have front presence and rear center...and they work magically.

13. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a snip from page 12 of the RXV2500 manual.

"Surround back and presence speakers do not output sound
    simultaneously. You can set to prioritize either set of speakers in
    the Sound menu"

I read an excellent review of this Rx somewhere but I can no longer find the link.
    In it, the reviewer said that that the sound with the presence channel functioning was incredible and is achieved via the DSP modes, but 7.1 operation is not available in the DSP mode.

I am still at the planning stage with my home theatre and am undecided whether or not to include presence speakers. There still aren't that many movies that utilise DD EX and so I suppose DSP mode could be used for all of the others as the surround backs wouldn't be proerly utilised anyway.

Cheers, Beastie.

14. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys what I should have said was that the amps have a dedicated output for front presence channels whereas the rx'rs either have the choice for utilising extra rear effect channels or front presence channels not both at the same time.