Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha Amp - cutting out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kained, Jun 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone experienced the simlar problems?

My RX-V520RDS cuts out even when driving my new speakers at modorate levels. (KEF Q5, KEF Q9c, LINN Unik Rears) all rated at 8ohmes.

Switching it back on tells me to check the wiring.

Ive checked the wireing and cannot find anyting wrong. I'ts all firmly connected and no, there arent any 'single' strands shorting it out.

What really bakes my noodle is that when the speakers were demo'd in the shop, they were demo'd on a similar yamaha amp (RX-V640RDS i think) and it cut out too!!

And whats even funnier... they swapped the demo amp for another exact model and that cut out too!!!

oh... all my speaker wire is good stuff too...

I never had a problem with my last set of speakers, Yamaha NS-10s and some crappy sony center and surrounds...

Am dumbfounded!

any advice in vaugley the right direction will be much appreciated

Thanks for reading...

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Yamaha unfortunately persist with the DIN method of rating amplifier output,which gives a somewhat inflated view of power compared to RMS ratings,and rate their 640RDS at 135W x 6 via the DIN method....this equates to somewhere about 80W RMS,and may explain why your receiver is shutting down....it may simply be running into it's protection circuitry trying to drive your speakers at anything more than moderate levels.

If it all works fine at low levels for extended periods,then it's very unlikely you have a short,as this would induce a shutdown very quickly.

Is the receiver hot when it shuts down?...and what speakers were you using previously?

If they were more sensitive,and/or an easier load,then your problem almost certainly lies with the amp being underpowered for the job.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Most odd, I had a yammy 630 running 4 * kef Q1 + Q9c & never had any trouble (I've always thought of Kefs being easy to drive), but it does sound as though the amp isn't up to the job if the same thing happened at your demo - Q5 may be the "problem".

I take it the speakers you demod are not the ones you have now, so that implies that it is a problem with the amp / speaker combo. All I can suggest is to borrow some Q1s and try those instead of the Q5s to see if it still happens. If it does try a Q1 instead of the 9c & then if it still does use the 1s as the surrounds.

Check all cables and switching on the back of the amp.

Thats all sorry

4. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys...

FYI: my old NS-10s are rated at 8ohms/120w, the old sony center was 8ohms/120w, the sony rears were 8ohms/80w
    (the ns10s were from my home studio and the sonys were from an old pro-logic system hence the upgrading)

I do have a PS2 sat on top of the amp and both underneath my TV in an AV bench but the amp doesnt seem to be running hot at all, which... is wierd.

The speakers demo'd were the same model but in a comparable set up. I unpacked spanking new Q5s etc.. at home but listened to a different set in a demo room in the shop.

I'll revisit all the cables, in fact am thinking of using plugs so that i can remove the questionable connection problem.

Which reminds me... the yammy 520 has 'latched' connections for the center and rears... could this be the problem? It seems a little inadiquate considering the quality of the rest of the gear.

Your thoughs?

Cheers...

5. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the impedance switch on 4ohms setting.
    A mate of mine has Q65's on a Yam RXV-520RDS and it cut out once when I gave it a pasting.
    The amp was v hot though. The amp was set to 8ohms (reduced current limiting). When I set it to 4ohms, the amp took longer to shut down when hammered :D

6. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wookie, i may try that... although it does sound a little unorthodox.

Ive been trying to read about the ohmage settings, most places say leave it at 8... but will give it a go.

Am gonna try bi-wiring and putting plugs on the speaker wire first though to see if that irons out any of the problems... (I cant see it make any different TBH, but its something i wanna do anyway.)

If i cant get my Yammy to perform at a decent output, would anyone recommend the Sony 1080 ????

I may just have to give up and flog the yammy.

7. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the Sony & Yams and get a NAD AV amp for the same money.
    A Nad will drive these speaks no problem as they are generally "High Current".

8. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Although others may disagree, it sounds like to me that a speaker or speakers in your system may have a problem, this will trip protection in amplifiers and in the light of you saying that even in demo there were protections problems over multiple amplifiers this would point to a dodgy speaker.

I would see if you can check your amplifier with different speakers to see if you can iliminate the problem.

9. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt that there is a problem with the speakers.
    These speakers are 8 ohm nominal, meaning that they could dip to 2.8ohms,3.2ohms etc.
    Run the speakers as "SMALL" or try the impedance switch set to 4ohms.
    I ran 4, 4ohm Celestion floorstanders and a 4ohm centre with a Yamaha DSP-AX620 for over a year with no probs.
    (They were set as "SMALL" and bass "SW")
    The impedance switch was left on the 8ohm setting & my sub took care of the hard work.
    :D

10. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    micb3rd - just to be clear. The speakers in the shop were the same model but infact were different speakers. I unpacked brand new ones once I was at home.

The only thing i can think is that the Linn Unik rears were the same ones... so maybe it has something to do with them.

11. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Different speakers from demo ok, good luck on finding the problem.

12. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats interesting wookie, i have SUB set to BOTH at the moment and my front are set are large.

I'll try switching the front to SMALL and bass to SW tonight.

I'll let you guys know how i got on later....

13. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QUOTE]Thats interesting wookie, i have SUB set to BOTH at the moment and my front are set are large.[/QUOTE]

That will be why your amp isnt v happy!
    LFE requires sooo much power and current delivery.
    If you don't have a sub, set up LFE levels to -3db.

14. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, i switched all the speakers to SML and piped the bass to my Sub.
    It improved slightly... I get to a reasonable level now and then the amp cuts out.

I tried the test tones last thing last night and i noticed that one of my rear Linn's was a noticable higher pitch 'pink' noise.

I'll swap the rears over and see if the problem follows the speaker... it may well be the Linns after all.... as they are the same ones that were demo'd on the 2 amps that were cutting out in the shop.

I'll check em out when i can crank it up later this evening... ;)

15. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eureka!!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys... just discussing my problem has weeded it out.

After listening to the 'pink' noise test i swapped the Linns over in the rear. The higher pitch 'pink' noise followed the speaker!

So i disconnected it, cranked it up and tried the Ep1 Pod Race again (it shuts down my yamaha everytime)

The yammy didnt shut down. I think i have a dodgy Linn speaker! This explains why the 2 Yamaha's in the shop also cut out because they sold me the last pair of Linns in the shop... the ones they demo'd.

Mega! Am taking them back tomorrow!

Thanks again.

16. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    So I was correct in my assumption and advice of the problem. :)

It is good that you found the problem and can sort out the system.

17. kained

kained

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You were absolutely right Micb3rd.

I swapped the speaker over today, rushed back home and set the rears up again....

Put Ep1 in, went straight to Scene 20 - 'Race start' and pressed play!

The yammy copes with it perfectly... it hasnt cut out and i felt like i was going to blow my windows out.

Fantastic!

cheers all....