Yamaha AirWired and laptops...

NickL

Novice Member
Hi,

I've pretty much settled on getting a Yamaha MCR-140 (found a new one for £180), but I'm concerned that it doesn't have a proper aux input (just a 3.5mm jack). That's not an issue most of the time, but occasionally I will want to use my laptop as an audio source, especially for watching films, and it seems a bit of a shame to use my laptop's DAC when Yamaha's one is so much better.

Is there something I can use between my laptop and the wireless transmitter that tricks it into thinking the signal's coming from an iPod? Or even a separate AirWired transmitter that plugs into a USB?

Thanks!
Nick

juggler

Either play audio via iTunes on the laptop or use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil software - which is around £30, iirc.

juggler

NickL said:
I will want to use my laptop as an audio source, especially for watching films, and it seems a bit of a shame to use my laptop's DAC when Yamaha's one is so much better.
Nick
Just reread this bit - getting audio and video synced when using a wire for the video and wifi for the audio is going to be a significant challenge. I think you'll need to stream both; there's a whole forum on here dedicated to that kind of behaviour.

NickL

Novice Member
Thanks, Juggler. Yeah, it looks like correctly syncing using wifi is going to be beyond my patience/ability... Yamaha market AirWired as the solution to that though - there's an advert with somebody playing a game on an iphone, and the sound and video are perfectly synced, while the 'competitor' product has a delay (it's an awful video so I won't link to it...) It seems a bit short-sighted to only provide that functionality for iphones/ipods when a USB transmitter should do the same for computers, and I hoped there might be a way to use their technology. Perhaps I'd be better finding an (unofficial) Yamaha forum somewhere - any ideas?

Thanks again for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom