Question Yamaha Airplay 2 Support

checkyourmirrors

Novice Member
I've got a Yamaha Receiver plus a couple of the WX-030 speakers plus we are an Apple household. I've been wondering why Yamaha is absent from the list of vendor supporting Airplay 2? I get it "opens" their devices to various vendors in a household, but given the supporting vendor list, I figure it will hurt Yamaha versus help them by not supporting Airplay 2.

Anyone heard what's up and what Yamaha's plans are for Airplay 2?

xmb

When this question has been asked on their Twitter and Facebook pages they simply respond by saying they are looking into it. I suspect they will join the party eventually but the big question is which older products, if any, get updated firmware to enable this feature.

Nat64

Airplay 2 is not that different to Airplay 1. You will still be able to use Airplay , the only difference between Ap1 & Ap2 seems to be a few control functions which is neither here or there.
Its just my personal view, but we used to be an Apple household and have started switching. I don't like the fact that any music you buy , and I stress BUY here, as soon as you shove it on itunes you can never get it out of there and you don't actually own it.
I no longer make any choices in life to include anything Apple or its functionality.
I'm a bit sick and tired of apple, the fact they want to remain stand alone , think they are special and are so stupidly expensive.
As an example take the Iphone.
An Iphone 6s is £549 and an Iphone 7 is £649
I can get an Xiaomi Redmi note 5 for £156.29

It can do everything an iphone can do and some. it better than an iphone 6s and comparable to a 7.
The Iphone costs over 4 times as much. It shows you who is overcharging /profiteering and the other manufacturers dont release software to slow down your current phone so you end up having to buy a new one.

We are a family of 4. We can ALL have a new phone for the price of 1 iphone and its not even the latest iphone either. If you want that, then the cheapest Iphone X is £999, which some oik on a moped will steal off you if you ever venture into London.

Question..............who is the mug ? It used to be me , but not anymore.

I have digressed. I woudn't stress about Airplay 2 and Yamaha.
Yamaha have an excellent system , Multicast that works very well + there are other ways to stream to a Yamaha device.

Jamie

Airplay 2 is not that different to Airplay 1. You will still be able to use Airplay , the only difference between Ap1 & Ap2 seems to be a few control functions which is neither here or there.
I think the big difference is being able to do multiroom playback with AP2, I believe you can only playback on 1 device at a time using AP1.

I'm with you on not being in the Apple ecosystem BTW but I can see the advantages in it just working together.

Cebolla

AirPlay 1 can currently do multiroom from a Mac computer (configured on the Mac's audio output settings) and also from the iTunes desktop software (so includes from Windows PCs). However, AirPlay 1 can't do multiroom from iOS devices.

xmb

It can do everything an iphone can do and some. it better than an iphone 6s and comparable to a 7.
The Iphone costs over 4 times as much.
Not wishing to start an iOS vs Android rant but you are making a comparison similar to comparing a Kia with a BMW. Both will perform the same function but one will hold its value better than another!

The total cost of ownership is often forgotten, and given most Android phones will stop receiving security updates after a few years a typical iPhone will be supported much longer. So you may end up spending out the same if you value your privacy and security.

As always some will value different aspects of a device or ecosystem over another and we should be thankful of this, as diversity equals choice. Try not to condemn others for their personal preferences and choices.

Nat64

Not wishing to start an iOS vs Android rant but you are making a comparison similar to comparing a Kia with a BMW. Both will perform the same function but one will hold its value better than another!
I hear you and It was not my intention to condemn /deride/offend anyone for their choices . I was trying to illustrate cheaper / more effective options.
However whilst on the subject, I do have an issue with Apple and the relative short time their products are supported / obsolescence .( imho )
I still have every single Apple product from day 1 and most/all are no longer functioning/supported. My 1st generation Ipad is now used as a small chopping board as its of no use for anything else. Ipad II struggles to work properly and the Ipad mini is now starting to show the same symptoms. That technological premium priced brand has stopped working and the other brand products / stuff I have is still going strong. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
It does irk me , given most premium products I have bought are still doing what they say on the tin decades after purchase.
All I was trying to say was that today we have similar/better products at a much lower price point .
My apologies if anyone took offence.

Khazul

I do agree with you about iTunes, however, still stick with the apple hardware/software ecosystem because I think android looks and feels cheap and nasty even if some of the hardware these days is getting decent.

As for Yamaha, yes - I would like to see Airplay 2 support, but it isn't really a big deal for me yet.

vashkenazy

Novice Member
Hi I asked to Yamaha weeks ago, because I own a r-n803d network amplifier with airplay feature, and they replied that it’s a matter of license, so money, and actually they are dealing with Apple, who obviously asks for royalties to use their protocol.

I've got a Yamaha Receiver plus a couple of the WX-030 speakers plus we are an Apple household. I've been wondering why Yamaha is absent from the list of vendor supporting Airplay 2? I get it "opens" their devices to various vendors in a household, but given the supporting vendor list, I figure it will hurt Yamaha versus help them by not supporting Airplay 2.

Anyone heard what's up and what Yamaha's plans are for Airplay 2?

xmb

As Yamaha have already paid the licence fee to use AirPlay I am not aware there is an additional charge to use AirPlay 2. Given the likes of Libratone and Sonos have given AirPlay 2 upgrades on their products that can support the extra overhead of AirPlay 2, it should not be an issue for Yamaha.

If they fail to support it soon they will almost certainly suffer a loss of sales.

vashkenazy

Novice Member
I agree. Actually that was the official reply, but I read elsewhere Airplay2 is more hardware demanding than 1, because of higher band and buffer requirements. So I think is the issue is a little bit tricky...
And even if Yamaha has their own multiroom system, MusicCast, they surely won’t miss the airplay2 train

dannnielll

Its just my personal view, but we used to be an Apple household and have started switching. I don't like the fact that any music you buy , and I stress BUY here, as soon as you shove it on itunes you can never get it out of there and you don't actually own it.
I no longer make any choices in life to include anything Apple or its functionality.
I'm a bit sick and tired of apple, the fact they want to remain stand alone , think they are special and are so stupidly expensive.

The Iphone costs over 4 times as much. It shows you who is overcharging /profiteering and the other manufacturers dont release software to slow down your current phone so you end up having to buy a new one.

We are a family of 4. We can ALL have a new phone for the price of 1 iphone and its not even the latest iphone either. If you want that, then the cheapest Iphone X is £999, which some oik on a moped will steal off you if you ever venture into London.

Yamaha have an excellent system , Multicast that works very well + there are other ways to stream to a Yamaha device.
Hi NAT, there is a way of getting those tunes you have lost to iTunes, . The media go software , and I assume it's successor, from Sony, for use with their Walkman ,can read the iTunes directory etc and therefore free your music. It can be obtained from the media go website .

geraldine0112

Novice Member
I don't care if people like other platforms. We all have different needs. But your claim is just flat out wrong. Apple hasn't put DRM on their music in almost a decade: Apple Drops Anticopying Measures in iTunes

You are free to copy purchased music from Apple to any non-apple device. I've done it. It works fine. Movies from iTunes still have DRM, because it's mandated by the studios.

That's great that you can get a phone that satisfies your needs so cheaply. I want better build quality, better software quality (not that it's perfect) and more security than what I would get from a Xiaomi phone.

ebernet

Novice Member
I hear you and It was not my intention to condemn /deride/offend anyone for their choices . I was trying to illustrate cheaper / more effective options.
However whilst on the subject, I do have an issue with Apple and the relative short time their products are supported / obsolescence .( imho )
I still have every single Apple product from day 1 and most/all are no longer functioning/supported. My 1st generation Ipad is now used as a small chopping board as its of no use for anything else. Ipad II struggles to work properly and the Ipad mini is now starting to show the same symptoms. That technological premium priced brand has stopped working and the other brand products / stuff I have is still going strong. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
It does irk me , given most premium products I have bought are still doing what they say on the tin decades after purchase.
All I was trying to say was that today we have similar/better products at a much lower price point .
My apologies if anyone took offence.
I'm saddened by your continuing derision of Apple and it's products. I'm sorry you are disappointed that the 1st iPad was only updated for 4-5 years. It did not stop working, it just didn't get any software updates. The iPad 2 got updates for 6 years. The iPhone 5s, from fall of 2013, is still being supported in iOS 12 that ships in the fall of 2018. My Mac Pro was supported with free updates from January of 2008 through fall of 2017, 9 years. None of these devices stopped working, they have all continued to receive critical security updates - you CANNOT say that about Android, where software support is 1 year, MAYBE 2 years, 3 years if you buy a pixel... and good luck getting updates on time.

As for songs, as was mentioned by someone else, Apple was actually the first mainstream company to insist on DRM free. The others followed suit later. You were complaining about music being "Stuck" in iTunes - good thing you did not buy music from Microsoft, since when they ended their music there was NO upgrading to DRM free - you lost all your music. Their recommendation was burn the already lossy music to CDs and then rip them.

I don't know what they did to you personally, and it is fine for you to choose cheaper products, but we came here to ask about something that you obviously do not use or want to use, so take your complaints elsewhere.

I too am curious. There are a few features in AirPlay 2 that I would like. I have workarounds in the interim that I use - specifically I run an optical cord from my Mac to my stereo for audio out at 24x96, and I can use the DLNA server functionality to go higher with FLAC files, to 24x192 (this is with my RX-A3060).
One of the big features in AirPlay 2 is that it is not a real time streaming protocol - AirPlay 2 will buffer as much as it can faster than real time. It also allows direct connection to the source, so it will actually pull over the Internet (in a way that functions like a chromecast in that it sets up the stream from the internet to the device and then steps out of the way) I could see the support for the buffering more possible than the support for direct to device streaming, but I think they need to support both.

In all honesty, while the convenience of being able to cast from my iPhone/iPad to my stereo is nice, and works great for guests, I am spoiled by the higher bandwidth lossless workflow I currently use.

Last edited:

Dunners

The more I use other solutions, the more I have come to realise that Airplay is a weak solution, barely above Bluetooth...
If you're using Yamaha products, download the MusicCast app and go for gold, it opens up the world of easy sharing between Yamaha devices + allows you to play FLAC files etc, with far fewer restrictions.
AirPlay 2 will be a feature some 'spec hunters' will look for, in the way that people also look for 3D compatibility or Alexa integration... largely pointless features for most, but an easy way for people to attempt to decide between complicated devices like AVR's.
'Oh - it doesn't have Alexa? That's a deal breaker!'... even if they don't actually have an Amazon account.

Nat64

I'm saddened by your continuing derision of Apple and it's products. I'm sorry you are disappointed that the 1st iPad was only updated for 4-5 years. It did not stop working, it just didn't get any software updates. The iPad 2 got updates for 6 years. The iPhone 5s, from fall of 2013, is still being supported in iOS 12 that ships in the fall of 2018. My Mac Pro was supported with free updates from January of 2008 through fall of 2017, 9 years. None of these devices stopped working, they have all continued to receive critical security updates - you CANNOT say that about Android, where software support is 1 year, MAYBE 2 years, 3 years if you buy a pixel... and good luck getting updates on time.
Each to their own then. I completely disagree. Ipad 1 & 2 are utterly useless and yes they switch on and off so technically work , but in effect they don't. May as well use them as a chopping board .
My gripe was always about a premium product at a premium price.
Premium price delivered, but the product doesn't last long.
The new Ipad is £319 , a Fire HD10 £109. I can have 3 fire HD's for 1 ipad. Then every 2 years as technology advances I can buy another Fire HD, and 2 years after that another one. Meanwhile that ipad has slowed down or stopped working or is out of date or some other innovation such as the charging port from 30 pin to lightning. Every related device is now obsolete. So if you had a Zeppelin , Bose or any other device they are now scrap.
I didn't come on here for a row, but there again I am entitled to my point of view. If you love Apple, its your money,far be it for me to tell you how to spend it. Thing is I have Apple and am disappointed with it across the board so switching to other brands.
Apple used to innovate, now they just regurgitate the same products at ££££ and the rest of the world has caught up/gone past.
Yamaha Musicast is one, Media Monkey is another , Fire Hd.
A month ago I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 64 gb note for £170 all in . I can tell you is that its a lot better than my Iphone on many features. The battery lasts me days , not hours. It might not be an Iphone X , but then again its not £1000.
You pays your money you takes your choice.
I have chosen.

ebernet

Novice Member
...Yamaha Musicast is one, Media Monkey is another , Fire Hd.
A month ago I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 64 gb note for £170 all in . I can tell you is that its a lot better than my Iphone on many features. The battery lasts me days , not hours. It might not be an Iphone X , but then again its not £1000.
You pays your money you takes your choice.
I have chosen.
Again, my point was that this thread was not about alternatives. This thread is not about what NON Apple iPhone you may be purchasing, or tablet, or how Apple treated you... We know they are there. We know AirPlay is there, MusicCast, Spotify, etc. You obviously have no more skin in the game because you got rid of all your Apple products, but some of us are looking for an AirPlay 2 solution with our iOS devices allowing us to stream from them to multiple devices, or use some of the other features. I don't really care what you have chosen, what I care is you chose to talk about it in a thread that is asking about AirPlay 2 support.

ebernet

Novice Member
In the interim I am using an Apple TV 4 with an optical audio splitter and using the Apple TV 4 as my AirPlay 2 supported device on the Yamaha inputs. Like that I can have the HDMI input set to a surround mode, and the optical input set to one of the stereo modes. Of course sometimes I switch the HDMI Apple TV input to a stereo mode as well (watching a streaming concert, etc). Sadly the auto switch functionality always switched to the HDMI input and not the Optical input so it is not as convenient as when you send music to the built in AirPlay and it automatically switched to that input...

Darwinia2

Novice Member
Reality is;
There are many differences between Airplay 1 and 2.
1. Airplay 2 uses a much larger cache to minimize buffering.
2. Airplay 2 streams faster than real time but plays in real time also to minimize buffering.
3. Airplay 2 can stream directly from the internet not always needing to play from a device. For example when I tell either of my two sets of stereo paired homepods to play something it streams from Apples servers not from a device.
4. Airplay 2 does not require a hardware authentication chip. It is all done in software which is why so many existing devices can be upgraded to Airplay 2 or if they don't have it can be added.
5. Most important is multi-room audio with all sorts of devices at the same time. For example I can use Airplay 2 with my Homepods and Sonos devices that do Airplay 2 at the same time and also use Siri with both for home automation.
Airplay 2 is a killer app which is why so many companies are upgrading to it or adding it to their devices and why consumers are clamoring for it.
Yamaha is not doing themselves any favors by not being clear about what they are going to do with Airplay 2 and there is nothing on Yamaha's receivers that have anywhere near all of this capability. As far as Music-cast working well an awful lot of Yamaha's customers would disagree plus it requires their proprietary hardware.

It is very easy to get music out of iTunes. I routinely copy everything off to a NAS with a few clicks just to have it as a backup and it doesn't require iTunes to play it back because it is in a standard and open format.
I'm not going to get into the comparisons between years old iPhones and a cheap Chinese knockoff.
I favor Yamaha's receivers by the way and upgrade pretty often but I won't upgrade again until they have Airplay 2. Meanwhile Denon, Marantz, and Heos (same company) are getting it as fast as they can and widely publicizing it. There is no cost from Apple to implement it and they freely give out developer information on how to do so.
I also have the Kef LS50 wireless and like a lot of owners are bugging Kef about getting Airplay 2 in the next version. They told me it is their most requested feature.

fwerff

Novice Member
'Ebernet' just wondering, what Yamaha MusicCast equipment do you have?

In the interim I am using an Apple TV 4 with an optical audio splitter and using the Apple TV 4 as my AirPlay 2 supported device on the Yamaha inputs. Like that I can have the HDMI input set to a surround mode, and the optical input set to one of the stereo modes. Of course sometimes I switch the HDMI Apple TV input to a stereo mode as well (watching a streaming concert, etc). Sadly the auto switch functionality always switched to the HDMI input and not the Optical input so it is not as convenient as when you send music to the built in AirPlay and it automatically switched to that input...

ebernet

Novice Member
'Ebernet' just wondering, what Yamaha MusicCast equipment do you have?
I have an RX-A3060. Sorry for the late reply. When the AirPlay firmware update came this weekend I was hoping it was that but it just fixed instability errors with the current implementation. As I said earlier, using other solutions sound way better than AirPlay, but it would be nice to be able to target the Yamaha as one of my speaker outputs from iOS devices (and not the sole one). The AppleTV 4K as an AirPlay 2 destination solves it for now, but does require me to change DSP settings for the input depending on whether I use it to watch TV (surround) or listen to music (2 or 9 channel stereo). With AirPlay on the Yamaha I can have it always be stereo and the Apple TV always (or mostly anyway) surround, and ARC will not turn on the TV because no HDMI signal from Apple TV.

Last edited:

avjon

I wonder when they will get round to Airplay 2. It seems strange to release firmware 2.60 that enhance Airplay stability and not include Airplay2 support. I wonder what the stability issues were? Did anyone feel that their Airplay streaming was unstable?

ebernet

Novice Member
I wonder when they will get round to Airplay 2. It seems strange to release firmware 2.60 that enhance Airplay stability and not include Airplay2 support. I wonder what the stability issues were? Did anyone feel that their Airplay streaming was unstable?
Yeah I would have stuttering and dropouts. It started when my other devices started implementing AirPlay 2

Dunners

Apple's update to iOS and Windows versions of iTunes is noted to have caused issues, so it's pretty much up to companies who utilise Airplay to figure out why...
Re: Airplay 2, I will say Yamaha aren't the sort of company to tout any up-coming firmware updates. They tend to 'just release' things out of the blue. So who knows when / if we'll see it AND what products will get the update. I would guess that the products released after mid-2018 will be the lucky ones...

Gobears81

Novice Member
I just called and spoke with someone at Yamaha. He said he didn’t know anything about AirPlay 2 but that AirPlay (1) is perfectly fine. I really want that Costco Yamaha receiver right now cause it’s on sale but not if they have zero plans to support AirPlay 2. Too bad. :-(

toon10

The more I use other solutions, the more I have come to realise that Airplay is a weak solution, barely above Bluetooth...
If you're using Yamaha products, download the MusicCast app and go for gold, it opens up the world of easy sharing between Yamaha devices + allows you to play FLAC files etc, with far fewer restrictions.
AirPlay 2 will be a feature some 'spec hunters' will look for, in the way that people also look for 3D compatibility or Alexa integration... largely pointless features for most, but an easy way for people to attempt to decide between complicated devices like AVR's.
'Oh - it doesn't have Alexa? That's a deal breaker!'... even if they don't actually have an Amazon account.
I have to agree with this. I have a Zeppelin Air which I use with my iPhone and I only ever use docked as AirPlay always drops out. I have content on my iPad which I send to an Apple TV. Again, it drops out. My Yamaha amp can use AirPlay but guess what, it drops out. It's less reliable than Bluetooth. I've not tried anything with AirPlay 2 yet but I have little interest. Thankfully most of my music listening comes from Spotify connect on the amp. That just always works. As does using MusicCast for my USB content.

xmb

I have had a FaceBook message from Yamaha stating:

Hi, all our MusicCast products from 2018 will get an Update which includes the Airplay 2 functionality next year.​

So it looks good news for products released this year and a bit of a blow for those with high end products from previous years.

fwerff

Novice Member
I have had a FaceBook message from Yamaha stating:

Hi, all our MusicCast products from 2018 will get an Update which includes the Airplay 2 functionality next year.​

So it looks good news for products released this year and a bit of a blow for those with high end products from previous years.
That’s awesome! I’ll be buying a Bar 400 and Musiccast 20 later this month. I’ll have patience till next year for Airplay 2.

avjon

Does that mean products sold in 2018 or only products released in 2018 I wonder?
I am hoping that my WXA 50 will get an upgrade.