Yamaha adds Auro3D

alebonau

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Good news with yamaha announcing auro3D that they are adding as processing. It is THE processing for music in my opinion as doesnt create a fake surround mix instead sticking to a more front biased presentation as you get in concerts and kind and the 3D audio adding a lovely ambience of being there.

press release below,

1621585291379.png

Mol, Belgium – May 20th 2021 –
Today, May 20th 2021, Auro Technologies is pleased to announce that our 3D-audio format AURO-3D will be introduced by Yamaha on its newest AVENTAGE AV Receiver platforms.
YAMAHA announced today their newest AVENTAGE AV Receiver Models RX-A8A and RX-A6A , offering 11- and 9- channels, respectively. The AURO-3D technology is a leading immersive – and fully backwards compatible – technology and format that creates a full, three-dimensional space around the listener and now also available on the latest Qualcomm QCS407 platform.
The magic of AURO-3D technology is found in its introduction of, and use of, the crucial third and final dimension – the height layer. With recommended speaker configurations ranging from Auro 9.1 to Auro 13.1, the AVENTAGE models can transform the listening room by transporting the listener into the virtual world of their selected content, regardless of the original audio format.
True to form, YAMAHA implements AURO-3D in the AVENTAGE AV Receivers combining the Auro-Codec decoder and world-class Auro-Matic up-mixer, enabling an Immersive Sound experience that accurately reproduces 3D audio providing a superior emotional experience. It feels like “being there” on the movie set or in the concert hall or at any sport event. To experience AURO-3D, the user simply requires an RX-A8A or RX-A6A , a Blu-ray player, and an AURO-3D configured speaker array.
“Auro Technologies is thrilled to see AURO-3D becoming enabled on the newest YAMAHA AV receivers. This announcement signifies another major milestone for the expansion of AURO-3D into more Home Entertainment devices and YAMAHA’s commitment to expand the availability of AURO-3D,” said Rudy Van Duppen, CEO of Auro Technologies. “AURO-3D brings to customers the truest to real-life immersive experiences for the Home.”
“We broke the mold when we premiered our flagship AVENTAGE series in 2010. Now we’ve reengineered it from the ground up, shattering expectations for what’s possible for an AV receiver to reproduce True Sound,” said Yoshi Tsugawa , Senior General Manager, Home Audio Division, Yamaha Corporation Japan.
Important to know is that AURO-3D capable speaker formations do not require ceiling speakers. Simply mount the speakers above the existing surround layer (to the walls) to enable AURO’s unique “vertical coherent stereo field all around the listener” which is a key component to get a natural immersive sound experience.
Here, the AURO-3D-equipped YAMAHA AVENTAGE models add a ‘height layer’ directly above the speakers at 30 degrees. Installing AURO’s speaker configuration has a few advantages; it is easier to install and it can perfectly playback all other audio formats within their specs.
When it comes to content, AURO-3D is available on many Blu-ray discs and the catalogue continues to grow. However, the majority of media consumption today is still is non-3D (surround and stereo). The AURO-3D technology also works with this ‘non-AURO-3D’ content. Whatever the resolution of the audio input, the YAMAHA AVENTAGE AV Receivers mentioned earlier, employ the Auro-Matic up-mixer to convert any and all content into the AURO-3D format, recognising existing mono, stereo, or 5.7/7.1 surround signals and transforming them into fantastic natural immersive sounding experiences. Therefore, regardless of the original format, the listener can always enjoy the thrilling effect of sound in real 3D.
With effect from fall 2021, AURO-3D will be available, also as an upgrade, to the YAMAHA AVENTAGE AV Receiver Models RX-A8A and RX-A6A.

Quite a significant announcement IMHO as Yamaha are likely the second largest AVR manufacturer after Denon/Marantz. Auro seems to be included and there is specific support for Auro 13.1 / Auro 11.1 (7+4) which is missing from some of D&M's 9/11 channel products (Likely due to the much newer DSP in the Yamaha).

Turbine have started to come good on their Auro deal too in Germany too with some decent Auro Native releases:
Dragonheart (The Auro track is significantly better than the Atmos track on this one)
Daylight
Twister (Coming Soon)

Quite a significant announcement IMHO as Yamaha are likely the second largest AVR manufacturer after Denon/Marantz. Auro seems to be included and there is specific support for Auro 13.1 / Auro 11.1 (7+4) which is missing from some of D&M's 9/11 channel products (Likely due to the much newer DSP in the Yamaha).
yeah id say older chips on the denons in question... on my marantz av8805 I seem to be able to pick up 11.1 auro3D native and upmix to 7.1.6 13.1 channels so pretty pleased about that one and has come some ways from VOG setup i ran for auro3D some 5 years prior

IMG_1744.jpeg

agree its pretty significant, am really happy to see yamaha go down this path. it will add weight to auro3D as Yamaha are a major player and it is well deserved for auro3D !

Dragonheart (The Auro track is significantly better than the Atmos track on this one)
Daylight
Twister (Coming Soon)
oh wow didnt know they were going to be in auro3D great titles too ... will be release day buys for me :)

and there is specific support for Auro 13.1 / Auro 11.1 (7+4)
at the moment the yam products seem to be 11.1 limited but I hope mention of 13.1 means there is more coming :D

as happens i have both the auro3D demo discs and having experienced what the format can achieve has only driven my thirst for more ... so really looking forward to more content on way ...

IMG_1757.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpeg
    IMG_1757.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 84
at the moment the yam products seem to be 11.1 limited but I hope mention of 13.1 means there is more coming :D

as happens i have both the auro3D demo discs and having experienced what the format can achieve has only driven my thirst for more ... so really looking forward to more content on way ...

View attachment 1515520

The demo discs are good. I'm referring to decoding Auro 13.1 or Auro 11.1 (7+4), both of these formats are Auro Native added to a DTS HD 7.1 base. Despite the Yamahas being 9.1 and 11.1 it is significant as it means they will detect these Auro tracks correctly and downmix (Dragonheart, Johnny Mnemonic and alot of the 2L releases are examples). Older Denon/Marantz cannot detect these Auro tracks at all (The 13.1 models can).

Dragonheart and Daylight are available now:

Both include Atmos and Auro discs. I found Dragonheart had a significantly better Auro soundtrack than the Atmos one but not much difference with Daylight. Turbine tend to release Atmos and Auro discs together first and then later on offer a cheaper Atmos only release.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom