Yamaha A8A zones

colinb4987

Novice Member
I'm considering an A8A or A6A as part of a whole house retrofit (beyond just AV).

The new receiver will supply the main zone with HDMI video, and 5.1.2 sound (front speakers biamped).

I've found the right page in the manual (RX-A8A | Multi-zone output) but am none the wiser to how HDMI and additional zones work in this setup!

Does anyone know:
1) If this biamped 5.1.2 setup works with either of these receivers?
2) If yes, how many additional 2ch audio only zones are supported, using internal amps only
3) As (2), but if external amplification available
4) if (1) is yes, and I make one zone out HDMI audio + video (to TV with Atmos soundbar), how many (if any) additional audio-only zones remain to me?

Thanks!

whitehart

Good questions that can only be answered in a manual at the moment as they, well certainly in the UK, haven't been released I will prob go for a A4A, or maybe the 6 just depends !

IntelliVision

Standard Member
I don't have time to check myself, but the manuals are available for download on Yamaha's site. The documents for the A8A can be found here.

colinb4987

Novice Member
Can anyone say how the 3080 (if I can find one and don't care about HDMI2.1) would deal with this setup?

tbully

Novice Member
I have a very similar question to the OP. The manual isn’t clear (to me). Sorry if I’m being dense.

I’d like to:
1) Run 5.1 with front Atmos
2) Bi-amp
3) Have at least one extra stereo zone w/ separate HDMI output (different source running than the main zone)

I think this is possible from my reading (only one extra zone) but I’m not clear. Looks like getting the RX-A8A allows me to do this without buying an external amplifier?

perhaps the “6” allows this as long as I have an outboard amp?

Thanks for the help!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Atmos would require a minimum of a 5.1.2 configuration so that means that 7 of the 11 available channels would be required to drive the 7 speakers needed for a 5.1.2 speaker layout. If you were then to bi-amp the front left and right speakers then that would require another 2 channels of amplification, bringing the totlal ip to 9 channels to power your 5.1.2 layoiy in the main room. This leave you with 2 spare channels of amplification.

After saying this. Yamaha AV receivers allow users to connect more speakers than they've the channels of amplification to power all at the same time. You can for instance still connect additional zone speakers to the AV receiver even if using all the available amplification to power a 7.1.4 setup in the main room. What the AV receiver does is switches the amp assignments on the fly depending upon the mode you engage or the audio format detented in the main room. If you were to for instance select STRAIGHT and if the incoming audio was only 7.1 in nature. THen the AV receiver wouldn't need anything more than just 7 channels of amplification in the main room. It would automatically free up 4 channels for use by 2 additional audio zones.

Whether you'd be able to add additional zone speakers powered by the AV receiver depends upon 2 things, the number of channels you've used to power the main room speakers and whether or not you've used the etra presence speaker terminals to orchestraye you main room setup. Neither would effect or influence the use of external amplification to fascilitate the additional zones though. THe A8 also includes a third pair of extra speaker terminals so that you can still have a second audio zone even if all the other 11 terminals are used up by the main room setup. AS said, this would only be of use in instances where not all of the main room speakers are being powered by the AV receiver. In these instances the AV receiver can switch amp assignments on the fly and reassign amplification not being used in the main room to power a a pair of second zone speakers with.

The HDMI Zone doesn't have to be used in association with the audio zones. You can simply pass the HDMI signal through and out to another HDMI device in another zone.

Bi-amping means that the 2 channels will remain permanently assigned to the front left and right speakers they are being used to bi-amp. I'd personally not waste channels of amplification bi-amping. The results associated with passive bi-amping are hardly noticeable and not really worth losing 2 channels of amplification for.

by default 2021-08-01 at 06.58.50.png

You can connect up to 13 speakers to the A8, but only power 11 of them at any one time without using external amplification.

So here are the combinations that are possible via the RX-A8's amp assignments. You can potentially have:
  • 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone
  • 7.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 5.2.4 Bi-Amp
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp
  • 5.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.4 +1Zone

As I've already mentioned, in some instances you may not be able to simultaneouly use the second zone speakers at the same time as the main room if and whenengaging all of the main room speakers.

Also note that when you set the following speaker settings in “Power Amp Assign” in the “Setup” menu, some outputs from the PRE OUT jacks are
limited:
  • ( 7.2.4 +1Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • ( 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone

Last edited:

jackyweb

Novice Member
I want to purchase Yamaha RX-A6A. I want to setup main zone to be 7.2 and ZONE 2 to be 2 speakers, and main zone and ZONE 2 play same content from HDMI input. Can Zone 2 of Yamaha RX-A6A (or similar models) play simultaneously same HDMI input source as main zone in stereo while main zone is in 7.2 surround sound (all 7 speakers working in main zone while 2 speakers in zone 2)?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I want to purchase Yamaha RX-A6A. I want to setup main zone to be 7.2 and ZONE 2 to be 2 speakers, and main zone and ZONE 2 play same content from HDMI input. Can Zone 2 of Yamaha RX-A6A (or similar models) play simultaneously same HDMI input source as main zone in stereo while main zone is in 7.2 surround sound (all 7 speakers working in main zone while 2 speakers in zone 2)?

Yes, the receivers can simultaneously play multichannel sources in the main zone while mixing them down to 2 channels for output to an additional audio zone.

It is possible to do this with the previous generation of the Aventage models so see no reason why it wouldn't be possible with the new models?

jackyweb

Novice Member
Yes, the receivers can simultaneously play multichannel sources in the main zone while mixing them down to 2 channels for output to an additional audio zone.

It is possible to do this with the previous generation of the Aventage models so see no reason why it wouldn't be possible with the new models?
Thanks a lot.

Yamaha Home Audio UK

Standard Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi there! date01 got pretty much everything into their answer, but we just wanted to add an extra clarification.

On the RX-A6A (and RX-A8A) Intelligent Power Amp Assign will allow a maximum of 7.2 (or 5.2.2) plus 2 Zones of audio, and a fourth Zone with bitstream HDMI, which would would look something like this:
Picture 1.png

In this example, surround back terminals turn off when Zone 3 is engaged. Again this also applies similarly to the RX-A8A, however Intelligent Power Amp Assign kicks in slightly differently due to the RX-A8A having 11 channels of power.

These are the controllable sources in each zone (pictured is the RX-A8A but the same applies to the RX-A6A):

Zone 2 (PCM 2.0 audio)
Picture 2.png

Zone 3 – (for HDMI sources audio PCM 2.0, use main zone sync)
Picture 3.png

Zone 4 (HDMI OUT 3 configured as Zone 4 - bitstream audio i.e. could be run into another AVR or Atmos soundbar)
Picture 4.png

Hope this helps!

Dobbyisfree

Atmos would require a minimum of a 5.1.2 configuration so that means that 7 of the 11 available channels would be required to drive the 7 speakers needed for a 5.1.2 speaker layout. If you were then to bi-amp the front left and right speakers then that would require another 2 channels of amplification, bringing the totlal ip to 9 channels to power your 5.1.2 layoiy in the main room. This leave you with 2 spare channels of amplification.

After saying this. Yamaha AV receivers allow users to connect more speakers than they've the channels of amplification to power all at the same time. You can for instance still connect additional zone speakers to the AV receiver even if using all the available amplification to power a 7.1.4 setup in the main room. What the AV receiver does is switches the amp assignments on the fly depending upon the mode you engage or the audio format detented in the main room. If you were to for instance select STRAIGHT and if the incoming audio was only 7.1 in nature. THen the AV receiver wouldn't need anything more than just 7 channels of amplification in the main room. It would automatically free up 4 channels for use by 2 additional audio zones.

Whether you'd be able to add additional zone speakers powered by the AV receiver depends upon 2 things, the number of channels you've used to power the main room speakers and whether or not you've used the etra presence speaker terminals to orchestraye you main room setup. Neither would effect or influence the use of external amplification to fascilitate the additional zones though. THe A8 also includes a third pair of extra speaker terminals so that you can still have a second audio zone even if all the other 11 terminals are used up by the main room setup. AS said, this would only be of use in instances where not all of the main room speakers are being powered by the AV receiver. In these instances the AV receiver can switch amp assignments on the fly and reassign amplification not being used in the main room to power a a pair of second zone speakers with.

The HDMI Zone doesn't have to be used in association with the audio zones. You can simply pass the HDMI signal through and out to another HDMI device in another zone.

Bi-amping means that the 2 channels will remain permanently assigned to the front left and right speakers they are being used to bi-amp. I'd personally not waste channels of amplification bi-amping. The results associated with passive bi-amping are hardly noticeable and not really worth losing 2 channels of amplification for.

View attachment 1549354

You can connect up to 13 speakers to the A8, but only power 11 of them at any one time without using external amplification.

So here are the combinations that are possible via the RX-A8's amp assignments. You can potentially have:
  • 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone
  • 7.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 5.2.4 Bi-Amp
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp
  • 5.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.4 +1Zone

As I've already mentioned, in some instances you may not be able to simultaneouly use the second zone speakers at the same time as the main room if and whenengaging all of the main room speakers.

Also note that when you set the following speaker settings in “Power Amp Assign” in the “Setup” menu, some outputs from the PRE OUT jacks are
limited:
  • ( 7.2.4 +1Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • ( 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone

Excellent explanation Dante!

I'm going to be rude and ask an :offtopic: question but I think it may help for both Yamaha and Denon models.

So, in many Denon manuals is says something along these lines (extract from x4400):

This system, which is based on a 5.1-channel system, plays back up to 9.1-channels at the same time.
You can connect speakers for up to 11-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 10 or more channels, the output speakers automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode.

This is similar to the topic being discussed. So, you can connect 7 floor channels and 4 heights.

From some research, it will run EQ for all 11 channels.

But it will only amplify 9 channels. How does it decide this? Can you force it to be 5.x.4 for example? If you change speaker settings, it will switch off EQ.

I guess this question applied to Yamaha as well!

gibbsy

But it will only amplify 9 channels. How does it decide this? Can you force it to be 5.x.4 for example? If you change speaker settings, it will switch off EQ.
You can't run the full 11 speakers with the 4400 without the addition of an external amp for a full 7.2.4 which would normally be connected to the rear height pre-outs. There is full set of speaker terminals to allow for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 which will be configured in the set up. You decide on the speaker set up, the Denon cannot do it automatically.

Dobbyisfree

You can't run the full 11 speakers with the 4400 without the addition of an external amp for a full 7.2.4 which would normally be connected to the rear height pre-outs. There is full set of speaker terminals to allow for a 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 which will be configured in the set up. You decide on the speaker set up, the Denon cannot do it automatically.
Yes, that's when it's in amp assign mode for 11.1 channel using an external power amp.

But, in this example for 9.1 channel mode, it clearly states you can connect more speaker and that it will automatically switch. But it doesn't say how, or what determines the speakers that it chooses to use.

Cannot find anything online with any details about it.

It doesn't matter if no one knows, I can just connect 11 and see what it does!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Excellent explanation Dante!

I'm going to be rude and ask an :offtopic: question but I think it may help for both Yamaha and Denon models.

So, in many Denon manuals is says something along these lines (extract from x4400):

This system, which is based on a 5.1-channel system, plays back up to 9.1-channels at the same time.
You can connect speakers for up to 11-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 10 or more channels, the output speakers automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode.

This is similar to the topic being discussed. So, you can connect 7 floor channels and 4 heights.

From some research, it will run EQ for all 11 channels.

I guess this question applied to Yamaha as well!

The AV receiver will first detect whether or not any of the additional zones are engaged. It would then analyse the incoming audio to determine the number of channels present and or its formatting. A combination of the 2 will determine how many channels it can free up in the main room and reassign to the second zone, but the application of modes to the audio will also influence this.

If the Audio format or a mode engaged utilises all 9 channels then you'd obviously have none free for the second zone. The AV receiver would reduce the setup to a 7.1 setup if the second zone is engaged or it would simply drive the 9 speakers in the main room if not.

mse

Novice Member

View attachment 1549354

• 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone
  • 7.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • 5.2.4 Bi-Amp
  • 7.2.2 Bi-Amp
  • 5.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • 7.2.4 +1Zone

limited:
  • ( 7.2.4 +1Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 +2Zone
  • ( 7.2.2 Bi-Amp +1Zone
  • ( 7.2 Bi-Amp +2Zone
This is a shame... i currently have the aventage 2080 with 2 external amps to run a 7.2.4 Bi-amp system... and this new flagship does NOT allow a 7.2.4 Bi-amp configuration in any which way.. i called Yamaha and spoke to their tech support to confirm this.. but it allows a 7.2.2 bi-amp with and extra zone.. why couldnt they also give the option of a 7.2.4 bi-amp instead of teh extra zone like they did with the previous flagships... really a shame.. now i have to switch to Denon after being a long time Yamaha guy... this is just mind boggling

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom