Yamaha a670 amplifier “remote” diy ideas?

Soundsgud

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post and question to you experts. I have just treated myself with a Yamaha A670 (stand-alone amp without the cd player) and Dali spektor 2 speakers.
Without streching long i come to the point. Although i was aware that this specific Yamaha amplifier will come without a remote (remote comes with the cd player) i was expecting to achieve this goal doing some sort of diy. What i find on amp is just the rear connection for cd player ie through 3.5mm jack (cable supplied). Now what I understand is that there is no infrared receiving facility within the amp, the cd remote sends analog signal through the aux cable to switch the amp on and off and probably few more functions, but i am only concerned about switching it on/off.
I have searched internet for universal conversion but couldn’t find anything. I remember i use to have a sony wired remote that i used on my car audio system for almost all the functions, and it was through 3.5mm jack. Would there be anything similar that incould connect through this jack and achieve the switch on/off functionality? A wireless option would be a deal breaker but as the this amp is placed in a very small room, I could manage with a wired option.
I attach the photo of rear of amp with system jack connector.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 404
For some devices, these yamaha system connectors are basically just a 12v trigger input to turn them on, however as this seems to allow remote control (volume, mute, input select etc), then I guess maybe not.

If I were to hazard a guess, stereo 3.5mm jack, +12V applied to the tip might turn it on (by powering a relay, so perhaps you could test with a multi-meter to see what the resistance is). I would guess the ring is probably a cleaned signal from the CD player's IR receiver carrying the appropriate NEC IR code sequences for volume, mute etc (I know some devices from various companies have used schemes like this).

But really I don't have a clue, and acting on this could well destroy your amp. The only way to find out would be ask yamaha who probably wont tell you or track down the service manual for it and see what the schematic around that input looks like.

If my guess as to how this works is correct, then controlling it from a raspberry pi could be done with a bit of basic hardware and software hacking around :)

Might be easier to just use a remote / wifi mains socket.

Last edited:
For some devices, these yamaha system connectors are basically just a 12v trigger input to turn them on, however as this seems to allow remote control (volume, mute, input select etc), then I guess maybe not.

If I were to hazard a guess, stereo 3.5mm jack, +12V applied to the tip might turn it on (by powering a relay, so perhaps you could test with a multi-meter to see what the resistance is). I would guess the ring is probably a cleaned signal from the CD player's IR receiver carrying the appropriate NEC IR code sequences for volume, mute etc (I know some devices from various companies have used schemes like this).

But really I don't have a clue, and acting on this could well destroy your amp. The only way to find out would be ask yamaha who probably wont tell you or track down the service manual for it and see what the schematic around that input looks like.

If my guess as to how this works is correct, then controlling it from a raspberry pi could be done with a bit of basic hardware and software hacking around :)

Hi, thanks for the very helpful feedback.
Carefully judging the accompanying cd player CD-NT670D, I think you are right, the aux carry the volume control signal. The rotary dial on cd player is only for input control and the volume seems directly controlled from amp itself. So this means its a bit complicated right?
Unfortunately I would not be able to experiment with software hacking etc, too complicated for a novice diyer 🤓.
I can solder basic circuits play around with switches and wiring.
I will later open the amp and try to do something with the main switch. I may duplicate the main switch by soldering the aux cable in the switch circuit with a similar momentary switch at other end, and I would then install it where i want.
Kindly comment if this can work?
Thankfully

also just found this device on amazon, I might need something similar available in EU
Amazon product ASIN B07QS89MZG

Last edited:
Why not buy a smart plug for a tenner from Amazon and control it from your phone?

If you don't want to use your phone, buy a smart button too and use that to turn the smart plug on and off.

Hi, thanks for the very helpful feedback.
Carefully judging the accompanying cd player CD-NT670D, I think you are right, the aux carry the volume control signal. The rotary dial on cd player is only for input control and the volume seems directly controlled from amp itself. So this means its a bit complicated right?
Unfortunately I would not be able to experiment with software hacking etc, too complicated for a novice diyer 🤓.
I can solder basic circuits play around with switches and wiring.
I will later open the amp and try to do something with the main switch. I may duplicate the main switch soldering the aux cable in the switch circuit with a similar momentary switch at other end, and I would then install it where i want.
Thankfully
Why not buy a smart plug for a tenner from Amazon and control it from your phone?

If you don't want to use your phone, buy a smart button too and use that to turn the smart plug on and off.
hi, thanks, i have smart plugs and that’s exactly what I planned too, but this amp can only be switched on from momentary power button after the power is switched on from socket. So either its the main switch at from panel or the aux input at rear.

Maybe, maybe not - I have no idea how they handle the switch, but I also think its a case of if you have to ask, then it is probably not something you should attempt as it is very easy to damage a PCB by soldering.

Personally I would find a way via the system connector or not at all.

Can't help with volume, but for power then use a Switchbot, stick it on the front of the amp (can get in black), control via an App. Even schedule it to come on in the morning!! - Amazing little things and perfect for this!

asset_157589_image_big_4aaa800e-3fe9-4092-abb6-f3ec007e9205.gif

You can also get an optional hub which then allows integrating to smart home stuff if you want voice control etc.. probably a step too far!

Can't help with volume, but for power then use a Switchbot, stick it on the front of the amp (can get in black), control via an App. Even schedule it to come on in the morning!! - Amazing little things and perfect for this!

View attachment 1611941

You can also get an optional hub which then allows integrating to smart home stuff if you want voice control etc.. probably a step too far!
Wow this is very innovative and thanks for sharing the link. I never imagined such thing. Whether it works or not (which i am sure it will), ill buy it and do something about it as a matter of interest.

Maybe, maybe not - I have no idea how they handle the switch, but I also think its a case of if you have to ask, then it is probably not something you should attempt as it is very easy to damage a PCB by soldering.

Personally I would find a way via the system connector or not at all.
Thanks again, sure i won’t try it as its a new amp. I probably can manage with current situation as i am enjoying the quality and sound its producing.

Wow this is very innovative and thanks for sharing the link. I never imagined such thing. Whether it works or not (which i am sure it will), ill buy it and do something about it as a matter of interest.
Been thinking to get one for my Nespresso machine! But the critical component there is remembering to put a fresh capsule in, plenty of water, and a cup underneath, all the night before or you're waking up to a mess!!

Thanks again, sure i won’t try it as its a new amp. I probably can manage with current situation as i am enjoying the quality and sound its producing.
I've got an A670 in my office setup which is within arms reach so lack of remote not a problem, but yeah great little amp for the money, I'm impressed with it. Needed a little boost to the bass tone control to warm it up a touch, but definitely a bargain. And I'm not in fear of it burning the house down like I have visions of with the plethora of really cheap amps and power supplies out there!

Been thinking to get one for my Nespresso machine! But the critical component there is remembering to put a fresh capsule in, plenty of water, and a cup underneath, all the night before or you're waking up to a mess!!

I've got an A670 in my office setup which is within arms reach so lack of remote not a problem, but yeah great little amp for the money, I'm impressed with it. Needed a little boost to the bass tone control to warm it up a touch, but definitely a bargain. And I'm not in fear of it burning the house down like I have visions of with the plethora of really cheap amps and power supplies out there!
Its the minimalistic design and purity of components that i wanted to just listen to stereo sound with sub out in bedroom. This is amazing little thing, best for desktops, works forever never get outdated, no updates with potential of bricking it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom