1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha A5 Prologic & Sub problem - Very odd

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AMc, Jul 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    My Yamaha A5 has started doing something odd. Analogue sound comes from the TV outputs (so it switches with source) and goes to the analogue DVD input on the amp. The DVD player's co-ax output is connected to the amp's co-ax DVD input so if the DVD player is in use it 'over rides' the analogue from the TV.

The problem is I get no sub output from analogue inputs using Dolby Prologic on any input?
    If I set 'effect off' (disabling the centre and rears) then the sub comes to life.
    If I run a Dolby Digital or DTS DVD then the sub works.
    So the sub is working and the sub output of the amp works for analogue and digital inputs.
    I've tried using other inputs and the problem is the same.
    The bass management is set with all speakers small, sub output at 0dB (loudest) and Bass>Subwoofer.

My only thought is the Prologic decoder has becme faulty but I don't even know if that's possible with DTS and DD are working.

Any thoughts would be very welcome as I'm tried every menu setting and cable and can't see anything wrong.

Can anyone suggest what's wrong or something else to try?

2. Easybourne

Easybourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    Hmmm well I've read all through that thread and I'm honestly not much wiser.
    I'm not convinced that my problem is exactly the same as there is _no_ output from the sub in prologic mode - not enough to wake it from standby anyway.

I'm fairly sure that I've had all this 'working properly' before but now I've been fiddling and setting/resetting everything 'properly' - fronts to small, bass to sub I may have inadvertently mucked up what I thought sounded OK.

I'll try setting the front speakers to small/large and/or bass to both/sub and see if I can make it sound better.

If I have to replace the amp, I will - if I damage the speakers in the process then I'm also resigned to replacing them they were very cheap to begin with. The whole lot is coming up to it's 5th(?) birthday so it owes me nothing for the pleasure it's given me. Indeed there's always the propsect of buying a better speaker set up and nicer amp.
    I'd love to use it as an excuse to bring my old floorstanders up from the basement but that's not going be sensible until the little'un is bigger.

Thanks for the link - did you ever satisfy yourself or are you still putting up with a compromise?

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    Well the sub now makes a thumping noise when you press mute on the amp and the right speaker is making a bubbling noise and not producing the full range in prologic
    When you click to 'effect off' then everything springs back to life (but still thumps on mute)

I got two very helpful responses from Yamaha over email which is a pleasant surprise.
    I've ordered a Denon 2105 to replace it from unbeatable - an open box for £299.

Anyone want to buy a faulty Yamaha DSP-A5?