Yamaha A3070 dolby atmos with KDLINKS A400

sikanaw

Novice Member
Reaction score
I use a 5.1.4 setup connected to a Yamaha RX-A3070. My TV is a SONY A1 55" and got a KDLINKS A400 dolby atomos capable for movie plays. I use the below setting on the KDLINKS:
HDMI output: RAW
SPDIF output: Close
HBR Degrade output: Raw 7.1

on the Yamaha AV receiver; I want to be sure I am receiving and outputting dolby Atmos, since all my setup is atmos capable.
If I run for example AQUAMAN (I have it as complete Blu Ray on my KDLINKS) and using the "STRAIGHT" program on the Yamaha, I got DTSHD with 7.1 channel as shown in the attached picture, however if I changed the program on the Yamaha to 9ch stereo for example, I am left with ATMOS/ DTSHD with no channel display (before it is 7.1). Can someone advise which setting to go? bare in mind there is a lot of program you can choose from the Yamaha Receiver. I want to experience ATMOS at its best. Appreciating your feedback.

Attachments

• 20190322_191049.jpg
    20190322_191049.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 255
  • 20190322_191307.jpg
    20190322_191307.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 197
Careful with your wording. You are receiving DTHD which is Dolby TrueHD. How you are wording it is DTSHD, which had a I not looked at your attached files would lead me to thinking that you were receiving DTS HD, a completely different format. So, just put DTHD, or better still Dolby TrueHD.

As for which is right it is your second photo showing Atmos/DTHD. Atmos is metadata within the Dolby TrueHD sound track. The receiver indicating Atmos shows that that is what is being decoded. I have absolutely no idea what a KD links thing is but your receiver is showing Atmos as being decoded correctly.

If getting DTS-HD Master Audio then the likliehood is that the source material you are playing doesn't include an Atmos soundtrack. Even if not decoding the associated Atmos metadata you'd be getting TrueHD and not DTS-HD Master Audio. Atmos metadata is packaged with either TrueHD or DD+ and never with audio formats priginating from DTS.

DTHD doesn't indicate DTS-HD Master Audio and represents Dolby TrueHD. This is what the Atmos metadata is being packaged with when it is bitstreamed to the receiver. What is being shown in the info panel is that Atmos metadata is being detected in association with a Dolby TrueHD audio stream.

I'd suggest you are mistaken as to what SUR DECODER modes you are applying to the signal. 9ch STEREO would not result in you getting Atmos and the Atmos metadata would be ignored in favour of the receiver applying the 9ch STEREO mode to the TRueHD audio. STRAIGHT would and should however result in you getting Atmos as would the PURE DIRECT mode. You'd also be assured of getting Atmos if present if the DOLBY SURROUND upmixing mode is engaged. The receiver would bypass this mode if it detects the presence of Atmos metadata.

Your particular model and the 2 models below it do also allow you to apply DSP PROGRAMS to Atmos and or DTS:X soundtracks. You may want to experienment with this ability?

Last edited:
I do apologize for my typo mistake. yes it is DTHD and not DTS-HD. Bottom line, choosing the correct DSP program on my Yamaha RX-A3070 is the verdict. I will try the pure direct mode as indicated and advise my finding. In fact there is lot of DSP program options, and would like to know based on your experience which one to choose if I want the best Atmos experience.

Use Straight.

I do apologize for my typo mistake. yes it is DTHD and not DTS-HD. Bottom line, choosing the correct DSP program on my Yamaha RX-A3070 is the verdict. I will try the pure direct mode as indicated and advise my finding. In fact there is lot of DSP program options, and would like to know based on your experience which one to choose if I want the best Atmos experience.

I'd suggest youb try STRAIGHT as opposed tp PURE DIRECT. PURE DIRECT bypasses the receiver's bass management and YPAO PEQ room correction. The STRAIGHT mode simply disengages any additional DSP or upmixing modes being applied to the audio and should result in you getting Atmos without any additional modes applied.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom