1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha A2 Setup advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jason_B, Mar 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have had a Yamaha A2 for approx 12 months now, but don't think I have really got to grips with the connections, and the setup. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. I'm bought my system based on HCC / Other reviews, but have never really understood the technical side of things. I'm keen to learn, but don't know where to start.

My system is :-

Yamaha A2
    Kef Q35 Fronts
    Kef Q95C Center
    KefQ15 Rears
    M&K VX100 Sub
    Pioneer 717 DVD
    Sony KV-32FQ75 U

I think I have set my fronts to Large on the Amp, but don't really understand what this means.

Thanking you in advance

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Hi,

I also have an A2 and have had many Yammies in the past.
    For set up go into the Set Menu on the remote.Go into menu 1 by pressing + and set all speakers to small.(front centre rears).
    Lfe bass out should be set to either Both or SW.It depends how you set the sub(if in THX mode then set to SW,if not then like i say personal preference).

You should now fine tune the sub to get the correct amount of bass so it compliments your speakers.This will take a few weeks of little movements to get right.

Any further problems then e-mail me and i'll try to help.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Jason,

Setting the front speakers to large will tell the amp to send all bass signals to the front speakers. If you have the fronts set to small, all bass signals (below 80Hz, or 100Hz, can’t remember) are sent to the subwoofer. Now, your KEF Q35, though good, really can’t produce the sort of bass present in some DVD’s. The lowest bass frequency that the Q35’s can produce is 45Hz, and if you have the fronts set to large, then the amp will be sending signals as low as 20Hz to the fronts. This means that some bass signals are being lost, as your Q35’s can’t produce bass that low. This is the same for the Q95C and Q15’s. So what you need to do is set all speakers to small and make sure the amp knows there is a sub present. Your sub should now be producing all of the bass in the system.

As for connections, you can connect the DVD player with a (some say, though I haven’t heard the difference) better coaxial lead if you want. Plug the DVD player into the CD input and engage the Auto Decode option. The A2 will recognise a DTS or DD signal and decode as appropriate. Just thought I’d tell you…

Russell

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Sorry "THX" but I appear to have repeated pretty much what you said. I was typing my post as yours went onto the board.

Russell

5. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thank to both of you for your advice. I will be checking the setup tonight. I don't suspose I could ask for some sub setup advice could
    i?

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Jason check your mail RE.sub.settings

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys I have had the same problems setting up my A2. Wow what a difference that makes. Is it me or does it seem as though every other person seems to have an A2 it's reassuring to know that I made a good choice, as there are few places to demo stuff here!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!