Question Yamaha a1050 and 5.1 speaker advice

TheSparra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Im after a critique of my proposed 5.1 set up, if you please?

room is 5m x 4m with 2.4m ceilings - Glass doors run the length of one of the side walls, which i intend to put up curtains

Receiver:
Yamaha a1050 (although considering just going for the a850 - waiting to see how DTS:X pans out - also considered the Marantz nr1606/SR6010, but there's just no reviews on the 1606, and the 6010 design just isn't doing for me.)

Speakers:
FL/FR - B&W DM302 (these are a stop gap until i can upgrade to some MA Silvers)
Centre - MA Radius 200
Surrounds - MA Radius 90s
Sub - REL T5

Use will mostly be for movies, but some musicality is important to me, although this will predominantly be supplied through Sonos, so audiophile quality expectations are well and truly managed…

Aside from my legacy Fronts, does this look like a good combination? are there any specific elements you would tweak?

I understand that the speakers are perhaps 'underselling' the quality of the amp, but i can only sink so much cash in one go…i recognise there will be an ‘on going’ upgrade path, but thats the fun bit, right?!

Thanks for your help/advice
Sparra

You really want the front 3 speakers at least to be the same make and model hence I would either get the matching B&W centre or replace the fronts with Radius ones.
Instead of getting a REL sub why not look at the BK Electronics rage as they tend to offer better value for money.
Also instead of buying 'make do' speakers for now why not concentrate the available funds on less but better quality speakers and then add the other speakers as funds allow. This will mean you get to your intended system quicker and without having wasted money on speakers you will ultimately want to replace sooner rather than later.

Thats great - thanks for the fast response.

I'll look into the B&W centre speaker options. As well as the BK sub.
Although i didn't feel like I was buying 'make do', necessarily. My point was that I already had the B&W fronts although they were pretty old, and i'd replace them with some new MA fronts at a later date.

Additionally, you're saying that I can't just match the front 3 speakers from the same manufacturer, They should also be from the same 'series'?

thanks again
Sparra

AVR - look past the 'frills' and ensure the fundamentals are good, no sense over spending on Spks if the AVR is not of a suitable quality.

Spks - for all the millions spent on research, materials and marketing not a lot has changed in the last 5 yrs, don't expect miracles when you do eventually replace the B&W Spks.

Front LCR - as PSM1 says better to hold off until you can budget for a matched set, for now you can run without a Centre.

Room - glass wall does sound tricky and often they cause problems when it comes to speaker placement too.

Layout - is critical to get anything like the best performance out of the system.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom