1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha A1 .... Upgrade Advise

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clack, Jan 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. clack

clack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although i rate the A1 as a very good amp...and ive been more than happy with it for the last couple of years...im looking to upgrade basically for the need of EX, DPL2 capabilities on the more up to date amps available. Now i would love the latest Yam amp Z1 (or whatever it is) but the pennies dont stretch that far...well actually no where near that far ! so.......mayby someone can suggest a good amp say around the £600 mark which will add the extra channels but wont compromise on the sound quality of the A1....note= home cinema use not so much on the music. Yamaha would be probably my first choise but who am i to know ! mayby another make might be better. suggestions ?...speakers in use are the Kef 2005.2 eggs. All the best for the new year. :smashin:

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yamaha currently have a huge gap in their range between the DSP-Z9 and the receiver RX-V2500, which is a notch below the DSP-A1 in terms of category but still pretty good from the impressions (I've had mine for only a few days and am quite happy so far). They may or may not have more models coming up in the next few months to extend the range.

One thing that's apparent though is that things have evolved quite dramatically in the last few years, probably thanks to the increased demand and competition as well as improvements in digital processing. For £600, you may well get something that isn't going to feel like a downgrade from the DSP-A1, and have pretty much everything you may want in terms or sound formats at this time.

Maybe you should have a look at the Yamaha RX-V1500, which you could probably get for £600 if you look around (Yamaha's RRP is £699.95). The only downside in terms of sound format versatility that I can think of is that you don't get any i.Link inputs from Yamaha in this price range yet, but if that's not an issue, it definitely looks to be a good candidate.

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Agree with Zacabeb,

And if you would consider buying from Germany you can get the 1500 for £424+delivery and the 2500 for £535+delivery. Sources see here - thread

Wasabi