1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha A1 sub standard problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alanjp, Dec 30, 2001.

Tags:
  1. alanjp

alanjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Yamaha A1 which I am very happy with. I would like to use a sub with my system for all sources EXCEPT CD. However, the sub setting for the LFE channel seems to be standard across all sources.Is there any way of setting the amp or rewiring the connections so that the sub WILL NOT operate only when I select
    CD as the source??? The manual isn't very helpful...can you rescue me????

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to listen to CD in normal two channel mode (ie no effects) then you should be okay, the LFE will not be active. Doesn't the Yamaha 'remember' the last effects setting for each input and reverts to that setting when you change input ?

Allan

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you not want to use a sub when listening to CDs? Do your front speakers go down to 20Hz?! I personally find that using the sub when listening to CDs improves the sound quite dramatically, it's fuller easier to listen to and as many sub manuals will explain by using the sub for music you start hearing much of the low frequency information that would be lost otherwise and can have a very beneficial effect on the sound. To get back to your question is you just listen to CDs with the Effects off (ie normal stereo) then the LFE channel won't be used. If like with my REL Q100E you also have the sub wired to the front speakers then the sub will take care of any low frequencies that the main speakers can't reproduce which as far as I'm concerned has to be a good thing.

Andy

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Assuming your sub is connected via line level only you will have a bit of a problem unless you seperate AV and music but not all sources but CD, this won't work with the A1:

Set the front speakers to LARGE and the Bass/LFE out to SUB, then all DD/DTS sources will send the LFE to the sub (and the bass from all other speakers set to SMALL will go to the sub, too) while other sources will send the bass to the fronts only, i.e. CD, Tuner etc., effects must be OFF.

5. alanjp

alanjp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help. I ended up following Reiners advice and my system now excludes the LFE output when playing CD. I have just received a REL 200E subwoofer and it works a treat with this new configuration. I have surfed far and wide for AV advice but this site is by far the best. Once again, thanks for all your good advice.

AlanJP
    Belfast