Yamaha A-U670 + KEF T101 for desktop (crossover question)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JPK123, Sep 7, 2018.

1. JPK123

JPK123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just picked up a A-U670 (DAC/2 channel amp) for a few hundred dollars. Purpose is to be plugged into a desktop PC to act as a 'soundcard' and will run a pair of KEF T101 speakers (wall mounted either side of monitor) and a KEF T2 Subwoofer under the desk.

This may seem a bit of random setup, but I ended up with a pair of spare T101s and the T2 subwoofer from a previous home theatre and I may still use the T2 in another room from time to time, hence why I am keeping it.

My question is this. The T101s shouldn't really be fed a full range signal (preferably no lower than 80hz), but I would presume if I turn the bass down on the amplifier this will also affect the subwoofer out? Is there any way to feed a signal above 80hz to the speakers? The subwoofer can be fed a full range signal and use its onboard crossover so no issues there.

It is highly likely I am missing an obvious solution here...

Attached Files:

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    You shouldn't have any trouble running the 101s with a subwoofer connected. The internal crossover of the speakers will cut out any signal that is too deep for them to handle which the amp will send to the sub anyway. Just use the tone controls to suit your own listening preferences.

3. JPK123

JPK123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you, that makes sense. I am still a bit new to this so thought a full range signal being fed to the T101s would cause distortion, I missed that they have an internal crossover.

4. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    The 101s are not a bad speaker and very popular for 5.1 use because of their neat wall mounting feature. A big step up would be a pair of R100s, much bigger as they are a bookshelf design but they are very musical. Something to bear in mind for the future maybe as you have a decent amp.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,128
    Kef T101 -

http://us.kef.com/t101

Running them full range should not be a problem unless you get excessively loud. Which really should not be a problem on a computer desktop were you are sitting very close.

Though this get a bit complicated, you can add High-Pass Crossovers to the speaker to eliminate low frequencies.

I don't have a link to a UK/EU site, but just to show you want I mean, here is a USA link -

80hz High Pass Crossover - 8 ohm - US$18 EACH -

"80 Hz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossover" from www.parts-express.com!

100hz High Pass Crossover - 8 ohms - US$15 EACH -

"100 Hz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossover" from www.parts-express.com!

Generally the T101 do not strictly need a crossover like this, but if you would like to be sure that low frequencies are eliminated from the Speaker, this is one way.

Steve/bluewizard

6. JPK123

JPK123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the assistance.