Yamaha 763-any reviews?

ALIEN1X

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is the Yamaha 763 as good as or better then Onkyo 606?

Is the HDMI 1.3?

I noted the other new versions like 573,473 and 373? do not have all the good features

Regards
Alien1x

Hello, im looking for reviews too lol. cant seem to find anything, maybe due to the amp just recently being released.

what amps hav u looked at so far?

im looking to purchase an amp, So i went to practical hi fi over the w/e, heard the RX-V1700 sounded amazing. but iv got my eye on the 763 which ill pick up v soon. most likely the yammy will live up to what im expecting from it.

from wat iv heard i wouldnt touch the onkyo, iv been advised by a few people that musically its rubbish and looks really cheap n tacky and it has few other issues. yammy will be better than the 606

anyone using the ax-763?

Last edited:
This looks like a good spec amp, have also been looking for a review. Anybody got a link, or bought one??

I posted my review of the 663, a foreign version of the 763 with a tuner in a thread here. Ultimate HT online has a review of the 663

I posted my review of the 663, a foreign version of the 763 with a tuner in a thread here. Ultimate HT online has a review of the 663

Petetherock, was reading about the Harmon Kardon 255/355, and how better it sounded than any of the other amp for the money.

Have you heard a HK255/355, and if so what were your thoughts on the comparison.

I really like the look of the Yamaha, and have a DSPA1000 which still sounds great to me. But the argument for the HK is pretty strong!

Cheers,

Sorry mate, I don't
The last HK I had was a AVR 25 from 10 years back

Petetherock, was reading about the Harmon Kardon 255/355, and how better it sounded than any of the other amp for the money.

Have you heard a HK255/355, and if so what were your thoughts on the comparison.

I really like the look of the Yamaha, and have a DSPA1000 which still sounds great to me. But the argument for the HK is pretty strong!

Cheers,

I have got a 763, only had one evening to play with it and only had 2 speakers plugged in but it was awesome. I had tested the 863 in the shop which was fantastic but the price difference was too great to justify (for simple - not brilliant upscaling, an extra 10w and one extra HDMI - £400 - no deal noel).

I shall post a full review once i have my speakers and sub set up for 5.1 but i am going to be away for the next 2 and a half weeks (gutted) ive been going through the manual as bedtime reading, and i cant wait to get it all set up.

It is a vast improvement on all the amps i have had before and even just listening to low quality mp3s wirelessly from my laptop via my airport express gave an amazingly thick and warm sound (2 speakers set up with dynamic stereo mode). With TV (i watched a the germany semi-final - well the bits that the BBC actually aired) and it wasnt amazingly impressive, again with only 2 speakers, but generally it was a good sound.

Cant wait to get it set up with a central speaker and my surrounds + sub and have it all set up to the shape of my room.

Basically what im saying is im very impressed and i have not even scratched the veritable surface with it yet.

How is this compared to Yamaha RX-V1800?

It seems Yamaha has 2 kind of models ... The DSP ... and The RX-V ...

Anyone know whats the difference?

The simple explanation would be the DSP are the budget range and the RX-V is the higher end stuff. I wish they would have a model line up like Denon or Onkyo as you pretty much know where each model ifits in. Pioneer are just as bad. This only affects Europe for some reason, our American cousins get a nice easy model line up, I think all the Yamahas are RX-V over there.

Any model that starts DSP has no internal tuner. Any model that starts RXV does. Hence why some years ago there was a DSP and an RXV 620.

Thanks for clearing that up! You know this, I've never noticed the lack of tuner before, namely as I have never once used one on an AVR. I have a separate tuner and now a SB3 for internet radio so it's not a feature I've ever bothered with.

has this been reviewed yet in any mainstream magazines?

i've had mine for a few weeks now, and i find it amazing, i replaced a 750se with it and to me its better.

as i have a PS3 so it decodes the TRUE/DTS HD and send via pcm, and i noticed a big difference from normal DD/DTS.

i have the full 7.1 (it does have 2 sub woofer outputs though for 7.2),
but sadly no discs to hear the full 7.1, but i have just orderd 3:10 to yuma, so looking forward to that.

the only gripe i have (as with all my previous yammy amps) is the remote, it the same cluttered brick as usual. but i'll get used to it.

I think most AVR remotes are the same. Yamaha are especially bad but I've always used a universal to control my kit even if the AVR remote is a learning job. I started with a Pronto and then moved on to the Harmonys. Definitely recommend them for controlling an AV setup over even the best AVR remote.

i've had mine for a few weeks now, and i find it amazing, i replaced a 750se with it and to me its better.

as i have a PS3 so it decodes the TRUE/DTS HD and send via pcm, and i noticed a big difference from normal DD/DTS.

i have the full 7.1 (it does have 2 sub woofer outputs though for 7.2),
but sadly no discs to hear the full 7.1, but i have just orderd 3:10 to yuma, so looking forward to that.

the only gripe i have (as with all my previous yammy amps) is the remote, it the same cluttered brick as usual. but i'll get used to it.

I sampled 3:10 to yuma on 5:1 (just a dvd, not blueray) and it was the reason i bought the amp!! AMAZING!!

Any model that starts DSP has no internal tuner. .

That's one of the reasons I've always liked the DSP range (I have a DSP-A5). Putting a tuner in an AV amp is such an archaic concept.

I'm certainly going to keep an eye on this new range presuming it has all the HD bells and whistles that seems to have been the main selling points of the Onkyo.

The closest to this right now is the review on Ultimate HT on the RXV 663.
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/avreceivers/608yam663/

Wait for a UK rag to write something up...

That's interesting - In that article they slag off the YPAO auto setup, much preferring the Audyssey system.

I've recently been into my local Sevenoaks where they thought the Onkyo 606 Audyssey system cut out too much of the sound by not emitting those frequencies which caused resonance, whereas the YPAO system measured the resonance from furniture et al and used it rather than ignorring it, giving a much fuller sound. Apparently the biggest difference between the 763 and the 606 comes with music playback where the Yam outperforms the Onkyo

I haven't spent enough time comparing the two to judge that, but I demoed the DSP-AX863 whilst waiting for the 763 to come into stock and even with the little KEF 2005.3 speakers it sounded awesome. R.E.M.s Low played out with a subtlety and crispness I didn't realise was possible from a sub-sat system and when it came to watching Will Smith chase mutants in I Am Legend there was plenty of punch and drive.

Well I now have my DSP-AX763 set up and it sounds fantastic with my PS3 and 5.1 DD/DTS (Haven't watched any BluRay Discs as I'm still waiting for a big TV) and even sounds great with V+ using it's 7-Channel Stereo enhancer.

I've got mine hooked up to some KEF 2005.3 speakers which aren't positioned properly yet as they're awaiting wall mounting, this Amp does a truly amazing job at correcting this, two of my speakers are on the floor and one of those is right beside a sofa pointing in the wrong direction!

Last edited:
Ive been running my 763 for a wee while now and ive got to say its fantastic.

Appologies for the lack of anything tech, this is the everyman's review

I bought the Ipod dock too and aside from a few wee niggles, its amazing. Ill start off with a little review of the dock.

It is an excellent quality piece of kit, looks great next to my amp and suits my black classic ipod as well as my flatmate's purple nano :confused: (he seems to like the colour). It plugs into a designated port on the back of the amp and therefore does not take up an alternative input. You can control your Pod with your Yamaha remote which is great. Its not quite as easy to use as the actual ipod menu system but its good. On the downside it can take a while to pick your track if its high up in the alphabet but its not a chore to do.
The sound quality is fantastic in 2 channel stereo enhanced mode. (i ran it in 7 channel enhanced and it does sound great but i personally feel that 2 channel is perfect when listening to tunes). I personally dont notice any poor quality from the mp3s which are mostly 256kbs. The enhancing facility combined with good speakers and a good sub make the sound amazing!!

The bad points -
1. If you pick a track on the pod and then put it into the dock you have to stop the track if you want to get the menu up on the screen (its a small point but its annoying when trying to show off my amp)
2. There is no playlist making facility within the Ipod control software on the amp
3. There is no random shuffle on the Ipod control software menu either.

The good points -
Everything else :clap:

Ok so now to the amp:

Well for everyday use, its excellent, I have my sky HD and Xbox plugged in to the HDMI inputs and one HDMI output going to my TV. The sound for games is just amazing!! The enhanced 7 speaker set up with games like Grid and Battle Field really make you feel part of the game. Cars crashing behind you, in the racing game is an excellent experience.

Movies on sky HD, although not 5.1, seem that way with the enhanced settings on the amp. I have used the Mic to set up my speakers and required a little bit of manual tweaking for a perfect set up.

Switching between my Sky and my Xbox is simple, button 1 is the xbox and button 3 is the sky. I can flick betwixt the two no bother. Its fast and easy system. My TV remote control is now totally redundant as i control the whole lot with my yamaha remote and the sky remote.

In terms of listening to tunes with the amp, it also has great results. A full fat sound is obtained from crappy sources on 2.1 and 7.1 modes. The different sound modes (classical/ club) are also great, although i rarely use them. The hall in munich pre set, for example, really makes you feel like you are there if you close your eyes with some beethoven on.

Power:

This thing is a beast!! I have had it up to full on only one occasion. And my ears were ringing for a day. Its insane. Granted i have some good speakers but, holy shi* its powerful.

Anything above -30db is going to be upsetting my neighbours (i predict - living in a second floor flat with neighbours above and below)

If anyone has any questions about the amp, fire them my way, this is just a quick overview of what i have been using the amp for and how happy I am with it. £500 well spent. I am aware that it can be aquired for less than that but that doesnt bother me as i am so chuffed with it.

On a final note, its probably worth saying that two days after i got the amp, new sub and speakers set up, the people upstairs put their flat up for sale, in such a flat housing market, we can only assume that they are trying to sell because they are so jealous of my amazing system. That and the bass has killed all their goldfish.

Last edited:
I've recently visited my local Sevenoaks store and asked to set the Yamaha 763 with a PS3.

When trying to select cinema DSP, multi-channel or any of the surround modes during CD playback through the PS3, it was unable to do this through the HDMI connection. All the settings on the PS3 were ok and this was very worrying as this feature should be standard. The Yamaha kept on displaying the 'Straight' setting on it's screen and when you try to change this, 'Not Available' kept appearing.

When connected using a panasonic Blue-Ray player via HDMI, the amp then allowed for these features.

Any ideas? Yamaha are working on why this is the case.

Have you tried playing audio tracks via HDMI on the PS3? Does the amp allow for all the surround effects to be used, i.e. Cinema DSP, multi-channel etc.?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom