1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 757se or Arcam AVR250 - please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by OneDesi, Aug 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hi

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place :( - I cant decide between the above 2 amps!

Having read a recent review in What hifi about the 757se which can be had for about £400 (I know I shouldn't trust it too much but its a starting place) they state it sounds like a £1000 amp which is what the Arcam AVR250 is.

The reason I want one is mainly for home cinema (I may choose to sell up my MF gear one day and then consolidate into one amp but not for a long time I hope) and I will probably go for the Monitor Audio Radius package to please the gaffer! (I was tempted by the Kef eggs due to price but not by M&K or B&W - look ugly IMHO!).

Does anybody have a view as to what I should do (I have also looked at a Harman Kardon DPR2005 - looks great but no video upconversion - I probably wont use it but maybe I'm just being a snob - don't know!).

All advice greatfully received!

2. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only advice to anyone in this position is have a listen, I think mags like to upsell things on the odd occassion!. You may find that in av mode the 757 is plenty good enough for your needs and the extra cash can be spent elsewhere. Try to find a decent dealer and see what they can set up. If you have the budget for £1000 and mainly want AV there are a few good contenders. Might be worth trying the new Marantz 8500 and the denon 3805/3806, Yamaha 2500 as well as the Arcam. Probably only scratched the surface of the good av amps at this point, again try to get a listen of a few. Happy hunting.

3. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for the advice - I was kinda hoping somebody hear could tell me the difference as listening is the ultimate test but I wonder if anyone compared £500 amp to a £1000 amp and said yup, thats worth the extra £500.

4. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to a few, Cheapest was the Denon 2805 then went to the 3805 and then the Arcam 250 then the Arcam 300 finally. For me it was a noticeable step up each time although the Arcams were very similar. Also had a listen to the Pio AX5, but didn't do it for me personally. All were good for the dosh but, my emphasis was on stereo music and the Arcam was way out in front with my speakers. Arcam, for me, had a slight edge in Av mode to the 3805 too. May well be different for different ears. There is a difference in amps at the price points, if it's worth the extra £500 is up to your ears and your wallet.

Only advice I can offer is strip out the features that you actually need / want then listen to a few. I got carried away 'on paper' with all the extras that I could have had (but would never have used!) and ended up going for the amp that sounded by far the best and has all the features I need.

Hope this helps a little :)

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    It's a hard one - where you to compare an £500 amp to an £1000 one from the same brand it would be easier - but across brands you're never too sure cos' some money usually goes for the LOGO on the 'box'. Having said that i would pick up the Arcam, but it all really depends what you've spent (will be spending) on your speakers & sources really!

6. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Thanks for that :smashin: - when you say noticeable step what do you mean? COuld you explain a little about what happened (I am thinking of pairing with some Monitor Audio Radius speakers).

7. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hiya, why the Arcam - is it down to experience or the reviews (I too am thinking about getting the AVR250 but just wonder if I can get similar performance for AV from the Yamaha?)

8. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Arcam i've heard a couple of stereo amps & sure sounds fine!

Wait a sec: why not split the dillemma in two and spend £800 on a Yamaha 2500!?

9. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tricky one to explain, particularly as i dont want to sound like a mag reviewer twit that hasnt actually heard the amp they're reviewing!. sounds become clearer and a little 'wider' for want of a better word. you get involved in the sound (music / film) more and it sounds less restrained. On stereo you can make out instruments / backing vocals that are less obvious on some models which sounded quite muffled - As far as I'm concerned that will get passed onto a film too and you hear more on the soundtrack. No experience with these amps and the MA's though - sorry.

The Arcam, due to cost, was not at the top of my list from the reviews I was all set on the Denon 3805 but listening changed all that! I actually went with an amp that wasn't on my shortlist! :rolleyes:

I'm not an expert I just went with my ears. Also consider the dealer / manufacturer support you might get if something does go wrong.

10. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    iv'e heard the arcam's when i was looking to buy my last system. I was very impressed with it, music sounds amazing, but was a bit on the bright side. There didn't seem to be a lot of weight to it.(mind you I am using a Arcam player)
    Av was as good as any at that price.
    At that time i bought a rotel pre & power amp because the extra umph with movies and music. That combination was out of this world. However i have had to sell the rotels to fund a wedding and have replaced them with the yamaha dspax757.
    All i can say is That this amp is a little corker. Bags of power, as good as the rotel's/arcam's with movies and is soo much cheaper. of course the down side in the music (or so i thought).
    Ok i'm not saying that it's as good as the rotel/arcam, but for the money it's pretty darn close. id' say it has a warmer and heavier sound than the arcam so suits indi rock and such. but it's not as defind, instrument seperation is not as clear, Also clarity at high volume is not as good as the rotel, but that's down the very powerfull 120watt the power amp.
    i'd say go with the yamaha if you can think of anything else to spend the money on.
    if however your minted or got nothing else to buy, go for the arcam.
    mind you the rxv4600 looks fairly tempting

11. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    CLANCOL - thank you very much (that was the kind of comment I hoped somebody would be able to make). Is the 757 really that good to give the Arcam 250 a run for tis money on the AV front (I want to buy a rel quake and monitor audio radius speakers you see and funds aren't unlimited but not bad - I just dont like to over spend !!!).

My 2 channel is run by MF gear and I was hoping to use the AV amp as backup if I ever sell the MF gear - what do you (or anybody else) think?

12. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're thinking of selling the MF kit then be aware that the Arcam 250 has no pre-outs so you wont be able to use power amps as an upgrade option. This was one of the reasons I went for the Arcam 300. Also if you do sell the MF kit then music may become important again so would be worth considering, the Arcam will sound a lot better IMO for this.

13. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the yam 750, which is not as good as the 757 but it won't differ too much and i find it very good for movies, i know there might be other receivers better, but i think you'll have to spend a LOT more to get a good improvement. You gotta draw the line somewhere, and i'd rather spend it on some nice speakers and my stereo gear.

For stereo it's not too bad, but not great either, my NAD 352 beats it very clearly with far more dynamics and detail...but it's even more expensive then the yamaha and has nowhere near the futures and drives only two channels.

It just depends on what you want: great home theater movies or more stereo music... i want both, but i think you'll get great movie sound a lot cheaper than good stereo sound especially considering the great price/quality of the yamaha receivers

14. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Hiya - does anybody else have a view?

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :offtopic:

Why not buy a BK XLS200 instead of the REl and save yourself some money there? If you want something bigger then they have the Monolith as well. If you want info on either look in the sub forum as there are loads od owners of both subs.

www.bkelec.com

Why are you comapring the £400 Yamaha against the £1000 arcam? Would it no be fairer to go for the 2500(£800) or the 4600 (£1000)?

16. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have been wondering about the BK's and have read a lot of good things about them on the forum - I'm just not totally convinced that the XLS200DF will be as good as a quake (probably me being silly and snobby)

The reason for the "unfair" comparison is I wanted to try and understand whether the law of diminishing returns means that last years £1000 amp is now only as good as this years £500 amp (also trying to convince myself that the 757 will be great and so save my self £500 which in real terms is a set of Kef eggs!!)

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Why not save yourself some more and look at the Canton special offer in the speaker power buys section.

The xls has 2 advantages over it as well as price. A bigger driver and much bigger amp.

18. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    For me and my house the Cantons just don't have the aesthetic appeal (sad I know!) - do you think the XLS is musical - the bigger amp just make it lose tightness does it?

19. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the canton karats are more aesthetic looking that the cd, gsrai, have you considered the range?

Alex

20. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have heard the xls in my flat and can happily say that the sub is very musical and the extra power will give it more slam.

21. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The MA Radius speaker package is biased towards AV so if thats what you want then I dont think the sound quality of the Arcam will get enough of a chance to shine as warrants the extra expense. The spend vs SQ thing is down to you though.

22. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    PWOOD - I was thinking about this and I was trying to convince myself that I could use the Arcam/MA set up and over time replace the MF gear I have with an "acceptable" alternative - what do you think?