Yamaha 757se - 5.1 to 7.1 - Worth it??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by blicky_1, Mar 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Hi all,

I have replaced my old Yammy amp last week (5.1) with a 757se and just wondered is it worth me adding an additional 2 speakers to the rear to make 7.1?? Does it make an imrovement and if so what type of speakers/cable to use for this?? Please see current speaker set-up in sig..

Thanks......

2. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I have also recently upgraded to a 757SE from a 5.1 amp.

I think a lot depends on how you have your room setup. My TV is in the corner of my room with the 2 sofas at an angle opposite. This meant that people sat on one of the sofas had all the surround effects to one side of them. Having 4 surround effects speakers has allowed me to correct this problem. It's not perfect, but it is a big improvement. It has allowed me to spread the sound more evenly to all the listening positions.

I have Monitor Audio Radius setup and I use R180's for rear and R90's surround. I would have used R90's for rear but got the R180's for a good price from ebay.

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    IMO, not worth it..

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    moving up to 6.1 or 7.1 is dependant on the room its in, the equipment used, the location in the room etc etc......so asking if its worth it isnt an easy question to answer.....the best thing you can do is borrow a pair of speakers from somewhere and try and if you like it go buy some, if you dont then dont.....not difficult ;-)

i personally find it more than worthwhile in the room i use now, whether the source is only 5.1 or 6.1.........in the room i was in a while ago it wasnt really necessary.....5.1 did the trick the best, 7.1 just got a bit too pinpointable....

try it and see, only you can say if you'll like it......

5. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    IMO its not quite worth it (and yes i do run a 7.1 arrangement), I have an almost perfect room for 7.1, but dont find that the extra rears add all that much to a soundfield. I honestly think that a well setup 5.1 will be better, but try it for yourself.

6. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Many thanks guys, I think I will give it a miss for now....5.1 sound much better with the new 757 anyway!