1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 757 or 1500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yoyogam, Jul 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

This is my first post altough I am reading this forum for quite a while now. Very helpfull. :smashin:

I am buying now my first system. I found a Genie speakers set for £500 (new, not used with minor marks) and am now ready to decide about the amp. My badget is £500.

I shortlisted the Yamaha 757 (£400) and 1500 (~£450) and can't make up my mind which one is better for me (apart from the one that leaves me with £50 extra in my pockets...).
    I couldn't find reviews about these pieces so I hope you guys can help me.

Here are my considerations:

I don't need more than 90-100 watts per channel. Will not use high volumes.
    I connect the TV with composite (the yellow one) because the scart is broken (hope to upgrade to flat screen next year) so video conversion is nice to have. I also tend to think that lots of connections means good value.
    I have high hopes for the automatic setup feature with the mic because my living room is not ideal for home cinema and I will be useless in installation.
    I will not use initially zone 2 but this can be helpful in a year time.
    I will use it mostly for movies but also some music.
    I don't care about radio so the receiver part is not crucial.

That's basically it.
    One more question: How much money should I spend on cables between the amp and the speakers and is there any consensus about which cable to use? I only want to spend on cables as much as will justify spending £1,000 on equipment...

2. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    £450 is a VERY good price for the RXV1500 (assuming it's from a UK source) A couple of months ago I had a Yamaha 750 (the 757 predecessor) on order and at the last minute changed my mind and got the 1500. My main reason was that there were extra digital audio inputs on the 1500 (one more coaxial and one more optical) plus an extra video input. It's amazing how the number of bits of equipment you start to aquire and want to feed through the amp grows :). My supplier said the the 1500 was in a 'different league' and indeed, the Yamaha web site lists the 1500 in it's 'pre eminent' range. Whether that makes a difference or not, I'm not sure. It actually cost me about £200 more than the 750 and I do not regret the decision one bit --- love the 1500 (the 750 was end of range and would have cost £330 and the 1500 cost £545). Hope some of that helps.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Where have you seen the RX-V1500 for £450? I'd love to get my hand on one at that prce myself.

4. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Again,

Pixmania is offering it for that price but coming to think of it... I am not sure that this would be a UK model.
    Does it make any difference???

5. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pixmania are doing it for 451 quid. I know they are french but hey i also know a lot of people who have had v good service from them.

Digital photos can be good value too if you get some of their voucher codes (10 or so for free!)

sorry about the advert for a french company - i wont do it again! sorry :D

6. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    I bought a yamaha 1500 from Pixmania for 450 quid - it's definitely a european model as it came with a 2 pin plug and a hastily attached UK 3 pin to helpfully put on yourself. Besides that I'm really impressed with the amp and the service from Pixmania was excellent. I've got no qualms about giving a french company a free advert if I get a THX certified amp for that sort of money.

7. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.
    I saw another recent post about buying from Pixmania and people were not very happy about deliveries and service. The price is very tempting but I will wait another week or so to see if another supplier comes with a similar price

8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The only units you asre likely to get for that price are grey imports from Europe which Yamaha service agents in UK will refuse to touch shouod anything go wrong. Now add the the cost of couriering the unit to and form the country of origin for any repairs.

9. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Yammy 1500 from Germany for about that price and it is covered by a full European warranty. Check before you buy.

As it happens had a fault on arrival and is being repaired by Yamaha UK with no grumbles at all. It has taken a while as they had never seen the fault before so have had to do a lot of investigation. The nice chap from Yamaha rang me yesterday to say they had solved the problem and I would have the unit back soon.

10. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer,
    Obviously I prefer to buy locally but it is not only the £100-150 price difference that puts me off but also the fact that I went to 3 shops (north London area) and although the people there knew the basics I didn't get the impression that I can expect any advise or aftersale support from them. I am not saying that this is typical but my personal feeling is that the extra cost in buying from them is not justified by their service.

Sillybeans - can you let me know which German retailer you bought it from and did you do it over the phone? I couldn't find any English on the sites that are advertised in this forum

11. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    If the yamaha 1500 goes wrong and you've bought it from Pixmania then you send it back to Pixmania. Seems a pretty simple concept.

12. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yoyogam - it was technikdirect.de you can get the black or silver for 599 euro approx £411. The postage was approx £15 (22euro). I would advise to ring to check in stock (The guy I spoke to's English was much better than my German!) You may also need to email a scan of your id and credit card to confirm you are legit. You can block of some of the digits on your card.

As I said, I did receive a duff unit, but decided to use warranty repair but technikdireck said I could send it back if I wanted.

Have a search in the forums about buying from Germany. Lots of people have done it.

13. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    www.hifi-regler.de/shop/av-receiver sell the 1500 for Euro 539.90 + Euro 49 delivery charge. I was going to get one from there - but chickened out and bought a 757 from Peter Tyson, who offered a good overall package (speakers etc.)

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A bit of topic but how about the 1015 for £400 and from a uk source http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/VSX1015S

I have a 2500 so like the yamaha, but i should think that that price is quite tempting. It is pioneers equivalent model (just this is one doesn't have firewire were as a more expensive one would) and has THX Select 2, if that floats your boat (compaired to yammys select 1, athough i suspect the 1600 and 2600 will have this).

The only down side is that the pioneer will havbe quite a different sound to the yamaha, which is more movie biased. It also has what is argubly the most customisable auto setup.

One more thing, it has 3 component inputs, thats the same number as the 2500 and one more than the 1500 (i believe)

15. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently acquired a Yamaha DSPAX757 and MS Genie system, which are linked to a Denon DVD2200 and Panasonic PWD7 screen. I am absolutely delighted with both the video performance and the sound both for films and CDs. I own a separate HIFI system - and whilst the sound is different (a little brighter, opener), I could quite easily imagine using this combination in place of a Hifi separates sysstem.
    The whole system is connected up with Mark Grant subwoofer cable + coaxial interconnect + QED PVC1 component cables + QED silver anniversary speaker cables - all of which work well together.
    I am still experimenting with the different settings on the amp and DVD player, so have not used the full potential.

The Yamaha1500 is no doubt another league higher in output/features - but to gain the full advantage, you would probably need to use a much more expensive speaker system. I think the Genies are a great match with the Yamaha. I hope this helps.

16. bin_man

bin_man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my RXV1500 from technikdirect.de last week, the service was excellent despite a problem with my credit card not being activated properly, I think it cost me £460 on my cc bill. I am very impressed with the receiver as it is so much better than my DSP AX620, however, I am currently struggling to get video up-conversion working properly from my Panasonic SVHS video recorder to component, the PQ is worse than S-video direct. If I don’t succeed later will post for help !

17. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If that were the case then the UK side of things would be breaking EU trading laws. Any goods bought within the EU are not a grey import with regard to warranties to any other part of the EU.

18. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all guys,

I just placed an order with Tachnikdirect for the v1500 (pixmania has only the black one in stock and wife prefers it as invisible as possible). Hope to receive it before the weekend.

A quick question, although this may belong to another forum: which cables should I use to connect it to the Genies? Maximum range to the most distant speak would be less than 15m (probable even less than 10m)?

19. Pianist

Pianist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    remember to give us you listening experience and reviews of the 1500 amp. :)

20. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update to let you know that I received the amp yesterday. So a good mark for technikDirect for a 2 days delivery to London.

Will open the box this weekend and try to connect everything together.