1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 750se probs!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phils_wicked, Apr 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all, Im having some problems with my 750se, which Ive had since November 04.

It started last night whilst watching a dvd, the sound suddenly cut out, and the amp showed only L and R on the display, where before it was showing L C R plus the surround channels and sub.

I put in another DVD and also tried a CD, but nothing worked through the coaxial digital input.

Switching the amp to the TV input (a pair of phonos) produced sound as expected.

Now heres the weird part, placing my hand on the top of the amp towards the rear right hand corner brought the digital input back to life and 5.1 contiuned as usual.

The sound dropped out a few more times at random intervals, but could be brought back by touching the lid of the amp again.

As far as I can see it can only be one of three things:

In order of likelyness

a) the digital input stage on the amp (dry joint maybe?)
    b) the coaxial digital cable
    c) the dvd player

Im reluctant to take the unit back to the shop simply because the problem is so random, Im betting that they will want to send it off for testing, and during that time it will work perfectly.

Has anyone had a similar problem? or any suggestions?

Thanks

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It certainly sounds like the lead could be the problem, doesn't it. Have you tried fiddling with it more, using a different one, optical, whatever.

3. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ive fiddled with it, checking the connection etc and it "seems" fine. Ive left a movie playing and have had no dropped sound as of yet, Im wondering if the amp becomming warm during use could be causing a problem with a dry joint?

Ill leave it playing and see!

Thanks

4. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to update:

The amp now seems fine, Ive left the amp on and played several movies through the digital input and have had no dropped sound. So Im stumped!

At least its working lol