1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 750se - Buzzing

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by clarky78, Dec 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Has anyone got one of these and noticed a quiet buzzing or humming from the centre channel? It's only noticable at night cause of how quiet it is. It doesnt matter weather your watching an AV source or just audio, It's even there in pure direct mode. It's really bugging me now, and i hadnt noticed it at first.
    I'm wondering whether it has gained a fault? If so i need to take it back obviously.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    Is the Centre close to your TV? If so, just try moving it away and see if the buzz is still audible.

3. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i have now realised that the fronts buzz aswell, though not as loud. maybe its my setup or something. my ps2 is sat on the amp, and the amp is near to all the mains in 2 4way power supplys (with 3 doublers aswell!!)
    Just wondered if anyone else could hear it on theirs?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +896
    I wouldn't have anything sat on top of the amp to be honest as they can quite hot and need plenty of ventilation. The buzzing could be caused by the adaptor plugs etc but the only way to find out is to unplug everything and then just have the amp connected to see if the buzz is still there.

5. shane_uk

shane_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've found that audio cds make a clicking noise when played through my 750. I've tried cds in both my Xbox and Pioneer 575, so i'm pretty sure it's an amp problem. Does anybody have any ideas as it's driving me mad! Also, how do I reset the 750se? :lease: :)

6. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i cant here any buzzin from mine (i have se model). but you got me paranoid!

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No buzzing from mine either - can someone more qualified confirm this - but it sounds maybe like an earth problem? Either that or interference of some kind, clarky I'd hazard a guess that your attempt to reduce the european plug mountain is probably contributing to the buzzing. 3 doublers and 2 4-way sockets might cause a problem.

It's probably worth getting a decent filtered gang-plug if you haven't got one - the Belkin 8.way PureAV is a great bit of kit (it's £60 from Amazon and eBuyer), I have one and think it's worth the money. It surge-protects all your AV gear but also isolates the phone lines and satellite/cable line, also includes power filtering that might solve the problem. I've heard people on the board who've got power noise from fridges etc elsewhere in the house coming through on the power lines and causing humming.

If £60 is out of budget there's a cheaper 7-way Belkin one with power filtering, but it doesn't surge-protect satellite/cable and might not have the unlimited electrical insurance on your AV gear.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    No buzzing form mine either

9. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    No buzzing from mine.

While we're on the subject of the 750, I have a question.
    How do you guys find the amp volume? I've just changed over from a Pio 912 and the 750 seems to be a lot quieter. There seems to be a good -15db of difference. With the Pio, I would listen to Sky at -50 and DVD's at -35. To achieve the same level of volume with the 750, I need to crank it up to -35 and -20db respectively.
    Is it just the way the 750 is or do I have a problem?

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I think it's just the Y750, I've only had mine setup since Sat night but I have to have mine between -30 and -18 (for movies) to hear it properly.

Tbh I haven't even messed around with the settings yet (or done the automatic setup) so I'm probably not the most qualified person to ask yet!

11. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    So why post? :hiya: :rotfl:

How are you finding it so far? I've only had mine since yesterday and had a quick fiddle but only with my front pair of speakers connected and it sounded OK bar the 'higher' volumes.
    I'll have to wait a bit now to properly set it up as I've just sold my speakers and not sure when I'll get my new ones.
    As you may know, seeing as how we seem to be posting in same threads of late, I'm waiting to get my hands on a set of Kef Q's.

PS. Sorry to OP for going slightly OT and hijacking your thread.

12. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks, if and when you do the auto-setup, check it doesn't take -5dB off your levels in stereo mode! I actually prefer the sound I get with the fronts on +3dB, it doesn't seem to be a straight volume increase, the sound is a bit weighier - more midrange and bass...that goes for stereo and multichannel which have independant levels.

It must depend on speakers and room size also - I listen to TV at about -40, movies at about -30 and music anywhere up to -25 in pure direct. Oh, and I turned the Sky box volume up so I didn't get deafened when switching from it to a DVD :laugh:

I've been playing with settings for more than a month now and am just about getting it where I want it :D .

13. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i have considered the belkin as i really dont like the multitude of adapters i'm using and have come to suspect this to be part of the problem. I dont need the cable filtering thing so maybe i'll look at the 7 way.

As for the volume question, i mentioned this at testing as it seems you have to crank the volume a long way before anything seems to happen, it is logerithmic and starts to get louder quicker the further up you go. It just seems to be the way it's designed which i like as my old yam was to touchy and, with one touch of the remote was to loud, then another touch to quiet. At least now there's much more control. But, what do numbers matter? If you have to turn it up more does it really matter, it WILL go loud enough.

14. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think getting something with filtering may well help you out...I'm sure the sound in my system improved when I changed from :censored: multi-plugs to the PureAV, although that could be my wallet telling my ears what to hear :D . On the other hand, if The Beekeeper is using it happily it's good enough for me!

15. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I would've thought the smaller the room, the less volume you'd need.
    My room is only 3.5 x 3.5m and I was using MS908's so not exactly small speakers and I still had to crank the volume up to -20 for movies :confused:

Just to add. When I got a demo of the 750 with Q4's, the room must have been about 5 x 5m at least and I noticed the amp was at -20 and my ears just about burst. When I turned the volume up at -20db at home, I felt I could keep going before my ears went

16. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    depends on the sensitivity of the speakers, the Q4's probably have a higher db rating.

Thanks Mango bob - i'll try the belkin out and let you know.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    To give a bit of moral support :laugh:

It took me all of Saturday to set up the Kef Q series, I even had to get the wife involved! As I'm sure you know by now I've got the Q4’s; Q6c; Q-compacts and PSW-2500. I’ve got them in dark apple and they look gorgeous, even the wife loves them!

I didn’t do the automatic setup as the rear stands got delayed from superfi, so currently they’re sitting on the floor - oops! I should be getting the stands this week though and then I’ll do everything ‘properly’!

I’m looking forward to fiddling around with the settings tonight, I just played the system straight ‘out of the box’ in the weekend! :blush:

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    By the way (sorry going off-topic) but when I switch the amp on and the surround speakers kick-in the tv speakers still work, isn't there an automatic cut-off?

Over the weekend I had to turn the tv volume all the way down. I'm sure the answer is in the manual somewhere, but have you seen the size of it :eek:

19. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    no you have to turn you tv down, they are seperate so the amp cannot control this only the picture it switches. Leave you tv down permenantly and just switch with your amp and use that for volume, then it won't matter.

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Ok cheers Clarky :smashin:

21. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, i finally got hold of a proper 8 gang extension cable. And the buzzing is still there. After a little more listening, it doesnt seem to buzz in pure direct mode through the centre speaker, though i didnt hear if the buzzing was coming from the fronts still.

So again, as it's been awhile, has anyone else noticed this problem...?

22. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre won't buzz in PD mode as the amp sends no signal to it - the centre channel amplifier should be off in that mode. To be honest at this point if the extension cable has filtering on it I'm out of ideas, problem with the amp maybe?

The other possiblility is you've got power cords near your speaker cables and are getting RF interference? Can you move the speaker cable away from all other cables (with blu-tack) just to check?

23. spuddler

spuddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mi First Post!!!,got Belkin Pure AV (8 Socket one) from Curry's £40,price on large package is not a instore sticker,so should be nationwide(bought last week,i could only find it on web for £60)Curry's alway's lowering Price's!!!
    Spuddler :)

24. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm going to be after one of these soon.

But if it's easy enough have you tried getting it replaced under warranty ? You could just have a duff amp...we know it shouldn't happen but it's always a possibility :cool:

25. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    With me it's almost a certainty! :( Almost everything i buy is faulty or aquires one...

The 8 way is not a belkin one cause they were expensive, but it does have filtering for RF and phone etc, so i guess it will be as good? I still had to use 2 double adapters as i needed 10 outlets!! To be honest the adaptor is still near the amp/tv/centre speaker because the area and cable lengths didint allow it to be moved away.

I'm not convinced this is the problem though as when it buzzes it comes out the front speakers too, which are nowhere near the mains or the cable.

I might go to the shop i bought it at and see if i can here the buzzing on there demo unit, may be a design fault, failing that i'll take it back, though being a few months old no doubt it'll have to go for repair :(

26. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If it's under warrantly it's worth getting it checked out as from reading this thread and other places I've never heard of the problem you have with buzzing so there could be a badly earthed component or something ?