Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha 750 vs Yamaha 650

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by thereserves, Mar 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. thereserves

thereserves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I can get the Yamaha 650 for around £245 and the Yamaha 750 for around £325 (really want the automatic set up feature but this is on both). Can anyone outline the main differences that would justify the extra £75 spend?

I will be running this with a Jamo 310.ADD system (already purchased, couldn't resist a bargain). I would probably be looking to upgrade the speakers in about 6 months. I already have a Arcam Alpha 9 amp / Arcam CD/ monitor audio speakers for music but will be listening to music through this system every once in a while so I don't want it to be musically awful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

2. darkeeboy

darkeeboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    can I ask where you can get the 750 for £325?

Cheers

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    learning remote, 7.1 sound, improved stereo performance.

your milage may vary!

4. thereserves

thereserves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    darkeeboy, digitaldirectuk.com do this for £334 + £10 delivery, my price was based on Richer Sounds price match which beats any price by £10, so this maes £325.

Mango Bob, thanks for the answer, i forgot about the learning remote (damn ugly though!)

I suppose in the long run the 750 is a wiser choice.

5. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shinecello,

These are the features that the 750 has over the 650 :

1) Front aluminium fascia
    2) Phono stage
    3) Learning remote
    4) Slightly more power (100W x 7 vs 95W x 7)
    5) Component video upconversion from composite or S-video
    6) Engineered and modified to meet the demands of British audiophile ears (hence, more musical especially in stereo)

The DSP750 is excellent in stereo for certain kinds of music - projecting a natural, detailed and punchy sound. Like you, I've also got an Arcam Alpha 9 amp which I'm using as a power amp for the front pre-outs from the Yamaha 750. I'm also bi-amping my Mission M53 front speakers with the Arcam driving the high frequencies and the 750 driving the low. The result is excellent - much better than either amps on their own, especially for acoustic, live, jazz and classical music - the sound staging and sonic depth is fantastic.

reservoir51

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can, listen to them both...and make your decision solely off that.

The learning remote is nice, but it's so ugly and clunky that I tend to use Sky remote and DVD remote anyway and just use that for the amp.

I'm planning on buying a more ergonomic and better designed one...I got fed up having to change remote "mode" to control different devices. It's quicker to just pick up the other remote!

7. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Richer Sounds match against other prices including any P&P costs so the £10 price beat will merely counteract the delivery charge, assuming of course that digitaldirectuk and Richer both have the 750 in stock on the day you try it...

8. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    The 650 is a receiver but the 750 isnt.

But..... you can get the RXV version of the 750 from Germany. Seen it discussed somewhere here.

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. thereserves

thereserves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for all your help.

reservoir51, You mention "Component video upconversion from composite or S-video"

Does this mean I will be able to switch video sources via the amp using different types of sources?

ie: Can I go s-video with my 'cable box' and component via my 'DVD player' and be able to switch these video sources on the amp?

Rich

11. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rich,

The component video 'upconversion' allows the amp to convert all input signals (i.e. composite, s-video or component) to component. For instance, if you have multiple inputs going INTO the amp (e.g. s-video from Cable/Satellite, component from DVD player, composite from VHS, etc.), all you need is a single component output from your amp to your telly (or plasma). Note that this feature is merely for convenience - the original quality of the input signals will be retained - which means composite will remain composite, and so on.

As an aside, if you end up getting the 750 I would ask you to try using your Alpha 9 as a power amp (internal switch is inside case) and connecting the 750's front pre-outs to the Alpha's 'Power amp in' jacks. Also, you can bi-amp the front speakers using both amplifiers. In my opinion, you won't be disappointed with the results.

reservoir51

12. thereserves

thereserves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks reservoir, that's pretty much what I thought about the video switching, nice move from Yamaha.

I'm not sure my current speakers (Jamo 310.ADD) would get the best from such an elaborate amp set up.

At the moment I'm going to keep the Arcam as my 'music' amp (it's in another room!) and keep the home cinema seperate. It's a very interesting idea though.

Would this mean that I could play music through the arcam amp alone and switch to the yamaha when watching movies?

Also how would you compare the Arcam to the Yamaha in direct mode? I assume the arcam will be better, but how much better in your view?

13. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you use your Arcam purely as a power amp for your Yamaha's front pre-outs, then you'll have to switch on both amps for music and for movies. Your CD player and DVD player will have to be connected to your pre-amp i.e. Yamaha.

The Yamaha's stereo performance in pure direct mode is excellent for certain kinds of music, especially rock, pop, etc - basically anything which is punchy, loud and bassy. However, it loses out to the Arcam for jazz, acoustic, live or classical music - anything which requires a solid mid-range and lots of detail. The soundstaging for the Yamaha may also be slightly better than for the Arcam. But, using both amps together in a pre-amp/power amp setup as I've outlined is clearly superior
    to either alone, especially if you bi-amp the speakers as well. Some of this superiority may be due to the bi-amping, but even without bi-amping, the differences are clear.

reservoir51