Yamaha 7.1 configuration: Surround bank or front presence?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hubiedubie, Jan 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. hubiedubie

hubiedubie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Just ordered the following bit of kit: Yamaha Aventage A2010 receiver, 3 Monitor Audio Apex A40s (fronts and centre), 2 Monitor Audio Apex A10s (surround - slightly behind the listening position). I also have 2 B&W M1 speakers which I will use for either front presence or surround backs. Which would give a better movie experience?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,137
    There's one advantage to using front presence speakers as opposed to back presence speakers. You can use front presence speakers in combination with your centre speaker to lift or lower the perceived position of dialigue in relation to your screen. This is useful if your display or PJ screen is up on a wall and not close to where the centre speaker is below it. This may be useful if you've issues with getting the centre speaker to associate with your screen?

3. hubiedubie

hubiedubie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main thing driving me towards Front Presence speakers is that my to front speakers are going to be placed on either side of a screen about 1M apart which I don't think is ideal but I don't have a choice. The front presence speakers should widen the stereo image of the front soundstage which I think would be a good thing.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    The only issue I see is that the B&W speakers may not be a good tonal match to you new MA ones. This could upset the soundstage and result in a worse experience. Just because you have the speakers does not always mean you should use them.

5. hubiedubie

hubiedubie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An alternative is to use Monitor Audio Radius R45Hds. These are the only ones I can afford. I wonder would they be more appropriate?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,137
    The presence speakers don't need to be full range or large so the R45s should compliment the Apex fronts if using the R45 speakers as presence speakers.