Yamaha 673 not using 7.1 fully

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pasqui83, Sep 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pasqui83

pasqui83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my very first surround setup and I decided to buy the Yamaha 673 and Wharfedale DX1 system setup.

I have been playing about with it but for the life of me, there are a couple of things I am not understanding and I can't seem to find answers in the manual or online so hope anyone can help.

1) The setup using YPAO is good with the speakers but with my sub, there is no authority, although it uses the sub, it doesn't feel like my breath is being taken away with films (Expendables, Batman both films, the impossible), the bass doesn't feel deep, I have played with the settings but it doesn't seem to do anything with the sub...

2) I have a smart TV, I have been on youtube, it puts my reciever into AV4 setting. I cannot change settings to use 7.1 or any setting, it will only allow me to use the TV Speakers.... Is this normal or is this right, I can't change setting?

3) I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, I have used the movie player on my phone and streamed it to the TV, again it doesn't allow me to change the speaker settings to 7.1. Is this right, I can't change the settings?

Any help will be much appreciated, I don't have much hair left from this...

2. Jan Pogonowski

Jan Pogonowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Try repositioning your sub.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871
    Your AV receiver cannot compensate for or make recompense for the inadequacies of a subwoofer. If you want a better sub then you'd have to go buy a better sub.

If wanting to output audio from your TV then you need to either configure both your TV and the receiver so that they utilise the ARC capabilities of HDMI 1.4 or you need to use a separate audio connection from your TV to the receiver. Settings on your TV determine whether it uses its own internal speakers or whether it outputs all audio to an external device. If using ARC then settings for this and HDMI control have to be turned on within the settings of both the receiver and your TV.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Where is your sub located in the room? Is it near a corner?
    What is the gain and crossover set to on the back of the sub? What is the crossover and sub level in the receiver set to?

5. pasqui83

pasqui83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks everyone. Ok so here it is. All of the issues sorted with all of your help. A massive thanks.

My HDMI cable wasnt connected into the ARC HDMI, so that rectified all of my streaming complications.

My sub is in the corner next to the tv. I adjusted my cross over frequency to 100 as aposed to what it was on (60) and also sorted out the DB. The YPAO put my sub to -7.0 so I put it to +3.0 to my liking and now it really does feel worth the money.

Thank you all so much. :)