Yamaha 671 owners club !!!!

hype_male

Prominent Member
Reaction score
First of all apology if there is already owner thread for the yamaha 671 but i searched and searched the forum but couldn't one to help with the issues am having setting up my yamaha 671. This is why I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread for owners of the 671 to share experiences, problems and so on.

First of many problems am having is that at the moment I have my sky+ hd connected to hdmi 1 and optical from sky box to av 1 on the yamaha. When in hdmi 1 i get picture but when I switch to av I get dolby digital display on the display pannel but I don't get no picture. Can some one help me with this .

Got my 671 on monday , just spent hours reading the supplied cd instructions on my laptop to set my amp up including a 15 minute software update which has improved things . Sounds awsome ! Why you using optical ? Im not

He is using optical as Sky boxes don't pass dolby digital over HDMI - yes I know it's unbelievable.

hype_male, you just need to set the amp so that it uses the HDMI feed for video and the optical feed for audio. At the moment, HDMI is taking precedence for both. I'm not sure how it's done on the Yamaha as I don't have that receiver but you'll find it somewhere in the input/output assignment no doubt.

Optical is required for Sky+HD if you want Dolby Digital. Sky only outputs stereo over HDMI.

Have you checked that the optical input on the amp is correctly assigned to the same input as the HDMI? Most amps assume that the sound is over HDMI as well, so you usually have to tell it to use another input for sound.

Should be explained in the manual.

Got my 671 on monday , just spent hours reading the supplied cd instructions on my laptop to set my amp up including a 15 minute software update which has improved things . Sounds awsome ! Why you using optical ? Im not

Looks like you are miles ahead of me properly setting up your 671. Did you managed to get your speaker distance all the same from the listening position. I used the mic thing to measure my speaker and didnt manage to get the same distance for all my speakers.

He is using optical as Sky boxes don't pass dolby digital over HDMI - yes I know it's unbelievable.

hype_male, you just need to set the amp so that it uses the HDMI feed for video and the optical feed for audio. At the moment, HDMI is taking precedence for both. I'm not sure how it's done on the Yamaha as I don't have that receiver but you'll find it somewhere in the input/output assignment no doubt.

There is no indication of how to do what you are suggesting in the instruction cd of the yamaha 671. Do you how how i can go about doing that.

Yes finished setting up , just need to set up the scenes on front for each of the hdmi ports im using . I used the mic at first to set up speakers but then done it manually and changed speaker independence to 6 instead of 8 default .
I originaly kept pressing the 4 scene buttons on the front thinking they were the inputs like on the onkyo lol.
How you getting on ?

Yes finished setting up , just need to set up the scenes on front for each of the hdmi ports im using . I used the mic at first to set up speakers but then done it manually and changed speaker independence to 6 instead of 8 default .
I originaly kept pressing the 4 scene buttons on the front thinking they were the inputs like on the onkyo lol.
How you getting on ?

Am getting on like a baby just learning how to walk in terms of setting up my 671. Since you have finished setting yours up hope you can provide me with some assistant in setting mine up properly.

I have managed to get video and audio with sky on hdmi 1.

If you mean you get audio via HDMI then yes, but you will not get Dolby Digital or discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI alone from a SKY box! SKY boxes only output PCM stereo via HDMI.

If you mean you get audio via HDMI then yes, but you will not get Dolby Digital or discrete Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI alone from a SKY box! SKY boxes only output PCM stereo via HDMI.[/QUOTE

What i ment was am able to get dolby 5.1 on the same hdmi input. Wasn't able to get both before.

Mines sounding better as the days go on ! Did you do software updateor changed speaker independence yet ?

Mines sounding better as the days go on ! Did you do software updateor changed speaker independence yet ?

I did a software update after i got it out of the box but no i have not changed the speaker ohms yet. How do i change the speaker ohms and does doing so add to the sound quality.

I did a software update after i got it out of the box but no i have not changed the speaker ohms yet. How do i change the speaker ohms and does doing so add to the sound quality.

Leave the impedance set to 8 ohm regardless of the actual impedance of the speakers ;)

Default is st to 8 and my diamonds are 6 so changed it . Depends what your speakers say on them . Let me know if u need to alter and i will tell you

Default is st to 8 and my diamonds are 6 so changed it . Depends what your speakers say on them . Let me know if u need to alter and i will tell you

Just checked back of all speaker. My surrounds are 8 ohms, front floorstander are 6 to 8 ohms, only the speaker speaker is rated at 4 ohms

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom