yamaha 671 just bought.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cooldad, Jan 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. cooldad

cooldad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy Onkyo 609, but after reading about the problems people are having with them, I went and listened to : onkyo 609, yamaha 671, pioneer 921 and Denon 2312. I felt the Onkyo was full of gadgets I would never use with the sound not as good as the rest. The Pioneer did not sound as warm . The Denon was very good but was dearer. I need an AVR that is good for watching TV ,movies and also I can plug in an ipod. The Yamaha fitted the bill as I felt the sound was better than the rest , they had not filled it with things I would never use but they had spent that money on producing an AVR that sounds fantastic for the money.
    This was a personal choice but I would recommend to go and listen to at least a couple of AVR 's before deciding solely on reviews.
    I have had it for 2 weeks so far and it just gets better . It replaced a 10 year old Sony .

2. Dr Evilest

Dr Evilest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks for that info.

I've had 2 Yamaha amps over the past 15 yrs & am currently looking at upgrading to one the amps in your list. The Onkyo has been my favourite so far on specs, but not listened to any yet. Where did you demo yours, and where did you buy from?
    Also what speakers are you using? Cheers.

3. cooldad

cooldad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Listened to them at Richer sounds at Cambridge through the same speakers .( cambridge audio speakers) I have Pioneer speakers at the moment but am looking to upgrade as soon as I can afford it. I also bought it at Richer sounds .The sales assistant was very helpful and not pushy towards the most expensive as is most often the case.

4. snapon

snapon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So if the denon was good was it not worth the extra £20 over the yam ? I got my 671 last week from rs too and as you say its sound gets better and better !

5. cooldad

cooldad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To my ears I could not tell the difference so saved my self £20. I would just like to say, after reading all the reviews ,the only way really is to listen to the ones in your price bracket .Make up your own mind which one you think is the best.

6. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    More expensive AVR's have better power supplies amp sections etc so thats what you're mostly paying for. Often times it's when you use them to drive 'better'/more awkward speakers that the extra money spent becomes apparent.

I would also point out that the 2312 is an £800 receiver and the 671 is a £500 receiver. Denon gear is on a large discount just now. Similar to how Yamaha were last year. If the two were at similar prices I would have gone for the Denon as neither comes with preouts to allow more more powerful amps to be used later if desired. So you want the most grunt possible. No such thing ass too much power.

All of that said if you are planning on sticking with the same speakers going for a more powerful model does then become a bit more pointless. It's only really if you are planning on upgrading the speakers when the extra power and better quality power supply etc becomes imporatant.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  7. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I just ordered the 609 and im wondering if the money would be better spent on the 671 instead. Yamahas are known for being a bit more reliable arent they?
    Thanks
    Scott

8. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    In general terms, the older Onks had a poor rep. The 609 has not been around quite long enough to tell yet. Have you listened to either one?

9. Sgoaty

Sgoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Im kind of remote for listening my nearest dealer for this sort of stuff is 40 miles away and they dont keep much of a stock

10. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    It's always worth demoing some actual kit, its like buying a car without test driving it first. Audio tends to be quite a personal thing and one combination of kit one person will love another will absolutely loathe. Until you hear the combination of audio source (more for analogue sources where the 'processing' is happening in the source), amp and speakers then you don't really know.

Ultimately you have to make your own choice and what you are comfortable with.

11. snapon

snapon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I never test drive a car , i just buy it lol . I couldnt demo anything as knowhere near me to demo so i went for the 671 as i know there build is good and music sound is better then the onk . Plus the onk looks huge compared to the yam !