1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha 657 - how should i connect everything up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mystic_bertie, Sep 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just bought new av equipment consisting of

pioneer 575 dvd player
    mordaunt short premier plus 5.1 speaker system
    yamaha 657 amp/reciever

sony KV-32FQ86U existing tv

now i am used to an all in 1 system so i need advice on the best way to connect my equipment together.

1) should i connect the video from my sky box and dvd player to my amp or should i connect the video signal directly to the tv.

2) my dvd player has the following outputs - coax digital, optical digital, multi channel outputs, stereo outputs.
    which of these is the best way to connect my dvd player to my amp, my amp supports all connections.

3) my sky box is a thomson 4212, should i use the scart output from this and use a scart-svideo & 2 phone lead? or should i use the audio outputs on the back of the sky box or does it make no difference which ones i use.

4) when connecting my amp to my tv is it best to use rgb or svideo connections.

5) i need approx 23m of speaker cable, should i buy some decent speaker cable or is the cat5 cable good enough for my system.

6) i would like to buy decent cables can you please recommend what cables to buy and at what price, i really want to buy good stuff that will give me the best from my setup without paying silly prices for stuff that i wont notice any difference with.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    1) unless you run out of connections on tv, connect them directly
    2)either coax digital or optical will be fine
    3)scart to s video won;t work from sky box. use rgb scart from the TV socket direct to the RGB socket of TV. then use L and R phono outs.
    4) RGB
    5) wouldnt bother making that much speaker cable myself, it takes forever just buy some gale stuff from richer sounds it will be fine.
    6)www.tvcables.co.uk, don't spend over £20 on digital cable, £30-£40 scarts will easily be good enough.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    2/ If your going to use the dvd player to play cd's I would suggest you also use an analogue cable from the dvd player to the amp for stereo.

4/ If your not routing anything throught the amp you have no need to connect it to the TV (unless you have on-screen display option then just use any cheap svideo cable as it only outputs text).
    5/ Here I would disagree with Chedmaster. I would make up the cables for the front 3 speakers (left, right and centre) and buy cheap gale hyperlitz 250 for £2/ meter from Richer sounds for the surrounds. I used to use QED silver Anni and swapped for my home made cat 6 cables.

6/ For quality digital and analogue cables at :beer: money look in the cable power buys forum for Mark Grants cables.

4. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed with chedmaster for the points 1-3.
    About point 4, if you don't have any other video source, do as Dfour said otherwise agreed with chedmaster.

About the speaker cables, cat5 cable is DEFINITELY a bad choice! Good quality speaker cable is not very expensive. You don't need to buy super-top-quality-allstars-big-o-gold cables though ;)

One question for Dfour. You said:
    Why is that? I thought the D/A section of Yamaha 657 is quite good and probably better than the 575 anyway. As far as I rememeber, in the direct mode 657 turns off all digital processing circuits but D/A continues to work for the stereo inputs from the optical connections. So, can you please elaborate?

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OK Have you tried cat 5/6 speaker cable?? Also remember its only 40-50p/metre as well and produces good results.

I have run digital and analogue cables from my dvd players to my amps and found the sound from analogue is more natural. This also depends on the dac quality in the amp and in the dvd player.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    cat 5 cable takes forever to do, i was saying for convenience the gale xl305 (think thats it) is good for the money, im sure the results are stunning with cat5 ive never tried (having inherited very special linn cable from father!)

also if using for cd's def. connect analogue. the dac in the yamaha for such digital signals will be there cos it has to be really, im sure the pio will do a better job. ideally get a seperate CD player.

i misread point 4, but use RGB scart where possible if you see what i mean :)

7. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok guys, wait a minute. I'm sure there's something I don't quite get. You mean Cat5 cable as in network cables or you mean using Cat5 cable to MAKE your DIY speaker cables, like this? Logically you don't mean to use simple cat5 cable for audio and specially high-current connections like speakers, right?

About the analouge vs. digital connections for CD playback, chedmaster, I'm sure you've got a point but I don't quite get it. Maybe something is missing in your phrase: "the dac in the yamaha for such digital signals will be there cos it has to be really, im sure the pio will do a better job." Maybe a word or two are missing in this sentence? I suspect you mean the D/As in the pio are better than those in tha yamm. Personally, I'm not that sure (Yamm has got 24bits, 192KHz D/As). But maybe this is just a personal preference.

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    We mean home made speaker cable, using Cat 5 like in your link.

I'm sorry you couldn't understand my sentance, let me rephrase:

The DAC in the Yamaha RXV-657 is there because it has to accept Stereo signals and decode them, not so that it can "out-do" any other DACs. The 24bit/192kHz DACs are very useful converting Dolby Digital etc, but for stereo a quality DAC is needed, not just loads of bits and hertz's. The 657 is hardly a "music machine" and therefore the money has not been spent on a good stereo DAC, and its also surrounded by hundreds of boiling circuit boards and amps, which don't help the conversion process.

Trust me, analogue connections will likely sound far better in terms of stereo.

This is my opinion from experience, prompted by users on this forum (first of all Dfour :) )

9. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, thanks. I can understand if you say that you (or some other knowlegable guy) have directly tested the Yam 657 AND Pio 575 and concluded that the DAC in the 575 has a better quality. If this is the case, I accept as I trust experience more than any theories.

However, if the statement is theoritical and is just based on an assumption that 657 SHOULD not have a better quality DAC than 575 because it not an expensive amp, well, I tend to disagree. The point is that 575 itself is rather an inexpensive DVD player and I don't think audio DAC circuit quality is a main design goal in that class of devices. Also, as in the direct mode 657 turns off many of those "boiling" circuits (heck, even the display panel is turned off in direct mode in 657), I suspect the low-noise design considerations have been at least thought of when designing the DAC circuits of this amp. However, if you've been talking about something like 2810 vs. 657, I would by all means accept your argument.

(btw, sorry for my English; it's only my second language).

10. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    right guys manyt hanks for all the replies, i have read with interest and now know what i need but i would like opinions of the cables i intend to buy and see if these are quite sufficient for my system, i dont want to go mental on price but also i dont want to be letting my system down due to poor quality cables etc.

i will wait for now to get speaker cable as i am using some thin sony stuff for now which i have from my all in 1 system, will upgrade this once i decide on what cable to buy, if there is a bit of work in using cat5 cables ill give it a miss id rather just connect up speaker cables for easiness. What is the guide on buying speaker cable how many strands or how thick, richer sounds sell different cables but jumping from 99p to 1.99 makes a big difference in cost. whats the stuff liek tvcables sel although it is unbranded, not being an audiophle would i notice a difference between 99p cable and 1.99p cable.

one other thing i asked on the subwoofer section was i have 1 sub out on my amp and 2 inputs on the subwoofer, the replies i got suggest connecting 1 lead is fine but it might be better with a y splitter.

so heres links to the cables i was thinking of getting without going daft on price please give your opinions or suggest anything better at similar prices.

Profigold PGD481 1m Digital Coaxial Cable this will be my digital coax connection from my dvd player to my amp, do these cables only carry audio signals?

IXOS XHV601-075 0.75m RGB Only Scart Lead - 2 off these, to connect my thomson sky box and my pioneer dvd player to my tv using rgb, not sure if it is worth getting rgb only cables?

Profigold PGA4012 0.5m Subwoofer Splitter Cable my amp has 1 output and sub has 2 inputs, thought it may be best to use a splitter but please advise me if this is not required.

Profigold PGA4105 5m Subwoofer Cable not sure if a sub cable has any benefit over good phono leads, please advise me if i need a subwoofer cable or a phono lead, going for 5m but only need 1m, just incase i want to relocate the sub as its just sat next to tv for now.

11. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't believe that profigold cable are that much better than the others (considering their prices) but I can't say much as personally, I have all my setup connected using profigold cabels ;)

The only point is about those .75m SCART cables. Have you measured exactly what you need? That sounds a bit too short for many practical cases. Believe me, .5m more cable won't hurt anyone but even a 2cm short cable means returing back to the shop only to buy another one. (I did that mistake! I measured the exact distance between my amp and dvd player and only made a 2cm error! That hurt a lot because I could not return the short, high quality TOSLINK cable and yet it lies somewhere in my room, unused).

12. mystic_bertie

mystic_bertie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i think this cable malarky is confusing as their seems conflicting opinions on whether there is a difference between expensive and cheaper cables. :rotfl:

thanks for the pointer but i did measure today and as my amp and dvd player and skybox are under the tv on the tv stand .5m is barely enough so .75m will do nicely, however if i ever decide on an av stand i will be too short, i would prefer to keep things below the tv as its less clutter if i dont have a seperate stand alothough they do look cool, im a bit concerned incase the weight of the yamaha amp may break the glass shelf on the tv stand :rolleyes: