1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 650 setting ideal crossover point

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F G Evans, Jan 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the yamaha 650 and a set of Tannoy fx 5.1 speakers.

The Tannoy sub goes from 45Hz to 140 and the satelites from 140 upwards.

When i use the automatic calibration tool it sets the cross-over point at 160 HZ.

Ideally the cross over point should be 140 hz. However the system does not allow me to select a 140 cross over point. The next cross over point that i could select would be 120 hz.

Therefore should i leave the cross over at 160 or manually change it to 120.

It seems to me that by leaving it at 160 i may be missing some of the lower frequencies on the satelities.

any advice

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Unfortuantly the figures quoted by most manufactures are the extremes a system can go to rather than what they will comfortably handle. Ideally when buying seperate speakers and sub you should look to have at least some overlap between the two which allows for you to optimise your system.

Given your current situation I would experiement with listening to the same part of a film at different cross over points and decide which is the best for your own system as setting it at 140 will possibly leave both straining to reach the frequencies where as setting it higher or lower will mean only the sats or the sub will be having an issue.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set it to 100hz...that way, all frequencies below that will go to the sub and take some of the strain from your main speakers. At the moment, your sub is trying to produce frequencies it's not supposed to. Ideally, you should set it to 80hz (THX reccomended crossover frequency...)

Edit my apologies, i didn't read your original post properly. I doubt very much if 140hz is the lowest that the main speakers will go. As`already stated, manufacturers quote you the "safe" figures. If they don't go any lower than 140, then I would seriously consider changing them for something that goes down to at least 80...

Your sub will defo not be designed to produce frequencies as high as 140hz. Subs by nature are designed to produce low frequencies. 140hz is nearly mid range...

4. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Another question is why the automatic calibration set the cross over at 160 HZ

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The short answer...? because it's stupid!! My amp (an Onkyo) sets my THX certified speakers to 120hz - even after telling it I have THX speakers connected!! (The amp is THX certified as well - so it dosen't get any better the further up the chain you go...)

Auto set up is a relatively new technology to be honest. It's not perfect. High end kit (at the very high end...I'm talking Lexicon RV8 - £3300!!) - dosen't have it...my advice to you would be to run it again. If it does it again, check the distances it gives you using a tape measure (odds on the sub will be 4 or 5 feet out, given your having problems with it...). If everything is out by that distance, configure it manually...but then you'll need a sound pressure level metre. Which can be arranged if you don't live to far from me...(Epsom, Surrey).