1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 650 - does this sound right?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F G Evans, Mar 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have yammy 650 amplifier and have one question relating to volume.

Can anyone tell me what sort of volume they are using.

I seem to use mine on approximately -15db to about -10db.

I have heard comments that people are using them at around the -25db mark and that the sound is load at that level.

Mine is very quiet at that level though.

I confirm that i am using it with Tannoy 5.1 fx speakers.

2. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seems strange. My 640 is extremely loud at -15db. If I had it past this level it would be very uncomfortable. It may be worth while checking all you speaker connections (at both ends - amp and speaker). Make sure you turn the volume down first though otherwise you could fry your speakers.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :nono:
    :lesson: Better to turn your amp off before messing with the speaker cables, or with any other cables, don't want to risk any damage.

4. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the fact that i am connecting 5 speakers plus a woofer to it have any bearing taking into account that it has to power all those speakers.

5. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: Obviously I didnt mean for him to mess with cables while the amp was ON. What I meant was make sure to turn the amp down before turning it off - when the amp is powered up again, he wouldnt want a sudden blast of high volume damaging his speakers :nono:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :D heh heh, just thought it best to be safe rather than sorry :)

I used to work in support, and some of the calls we used to get with regard to PC's were horrifying.....example: woman thought her monitor needed a clean........................cleans it by putting it in washing machine :suicide: :rolleyes: :eek: So, better to clarify in case any newbies reading this try to fry themselves :D

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Shouldn't really. But don't forget, what one person deems loud, another may feel it to be rather quiet :). Check your wiring is correct, and in phase (black connectors going to black (negative), red connectors going to red (positive)).

Size of room could also be a factor, a larger room will need a higher volume output to reach the same levels. What speakers are you using? Difficult to drive speakers can also hinder output levels.

8. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 5 relative heavy speakers, and i practically never have it below -30db, though with dvd's i put it up to around -20. What mode do you have it on? Pure direct has to be crammed up a lot more in comparison with prologic II.

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    -15dB seems very very loud - I've got a 750 not a 650 btw but I doubt there's a huge volume difference. I listen to TV about -40 and DVD between -35 and -25, never louder than that.

Would the ohm selector on the back make any difference? I've not noticed it make a big difference on mine.

F G, as Kaz says, check your connections and make sure nothing is out of phase (there's a THX setup on Star Wars/Pixar discs that can help with this).

10. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 650 has an automatic set up and everything checks through as normal after it goes through the set up.

The Tannoy speakers take 6ohms and therefore the amp is set to the correct level.

The amp does go very load when the volume is set to 0 to +5db however below this level is very quiet.

For example i will watch an action film in DTS at nighttime at -15db without hearing it upstairs.
    Even with the tuner on the amp has to be set to a level at least-15db for comfortable listening levels.

Is the amp broken?

11. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 2 month old yammy 650 connected to 2 gale gold monitors @ 6Ohms are very loud once I go above -25db. I listen to music at -35, and DVDs sometimes at -30/-25, and that's already quite loud... Actually I never go above that level... My room is about 2.5m by 4m, and there's not a lot of furniture. Also, the speakers are not correctly positioned (one is on a chair for the moment...ugh!). So I would suspect your speaker to have a problem... except you run it constantly in silent cinema mode, but I doubt that :)

12. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the auto set up settings, it can do strange things like dropping speaker levels by -5db etc.

13. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless your amp is downstairs in your nuclear bunker I'd say there is a problem somewhere!
    Seriously though, my 640 will have the neighbours at the door if I go above -35dB for any length of time.

14. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a 640 and rarely go above -25 to -30dB with efficient speakers.

I recently heard a 650 as part of a setup in a shop demo and was suprised that the volume was up around -17dB. The CD player was the same make and similar model and therefore likely to have a similar voltage output. I don't know how efficient the speaker were but were probably not wildy different.

The 640 has a 0/-10dB switch around the back that makes me think it may have higher gain than the 650 (and therefore the volume would be set lower for the same output). I even wondered if the 650 was set to -10deB at the time of the demo. Does the 650 have this switch or an equivalent in the setup somewhere? Maybe yours is set to -10dB?

Maybe your speakers are not very efficeint, or your CD player has low output. I guess if you use digital input from DVD this will be standard level across all players.

Otherwise, either the setup is wrong, or yes, something's blown.

15. smirf

smirf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to find that on my 650, Sky (through optical) is between 42 & 50 depending on channel. DVD's tend to be about 32-35.

I'm running 7 speakers and subwoofer on this set up too.

I don't think that I have managed to get it past 25 without offending either the neighbours / kids / wife!

16. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm not convinced that you have a problem although -15/10 on a yamaha amp seems pretty loud by anyone's standards. It's more likely a setup issue on the receiver itself. Any chance you have inadvertently selected a "midnight" DSP mode or something? I've got a 650 (and have previously had a 595 and 620) and have NEVER run at anything less than -30, bearing in mind that I'm in a semi-detached house! Like someone else said, it's worth going through manual setup and checking the volume levels.

17. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I often listen to my Yamaha 2500 at -3db with movies, which is loud, but not unbearable. You cant compare your set-up to anyone else's. Room size, room acoustics (inc construction; solid / wood floor, plaster / brick walls etc), speaker efficiency, speaker positioning, equalisation etc all make a massive difference.

18. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good point actually, F G, how big is your room?

However, there do seem to be a lot of people that listen to TV >30dB and dvds >20dB; very few people that answered here listen at <10dB.

19. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just for your info.. i have a yamaha rxv-740rds. connected to B&W VM1`s and sub. i never have my volume above -50db anything louder then that is very uncomfy. I might have it at -55 for watching TV as they are quietier than DVDs.. my room is 13feet x16feet.. so not a really small room.. the room size can make a small difference to how loud films appear to be..

Let me know what you think.

20. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't even be able to hear my 2500 at -50db. A sparsely furnished room with a laminate floor will sound much louder than a heavily furnished room with carpet.
    I think comparing volume settings is like comparing chalk and cheese.

21. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I agree with the spririt of this, I think a 30dB difference in volume levels is fairly significant unless he's listening in a concert hall!

You'd expect a limited variation for furnishings, room size, speaker type etc etc etc...but we're talking about a big difference here...the amp shouldn't be inaudible across almost the entirety of its volume range.

22. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    -3DB is practically reference volume! In the past, I have driven large Tannoy (4ohm) floorstanders and a Paradigm 1000 sub (5.1) in a medium-sized room with a Yamaha 620 amp, both with carpet and without and at -3DB, my neighbours at the OTHER END OF THE STREET would have been complaining! :) I noticed that my other 6.1 Celestion 305 speaker/sub setup (with my 650) is noticeably more subtle at the similar volumes but I put that down purely to the speakers.

But yes, environment will make some difference but in most UK living rooms of you average UK house (mine's a relatively new semi with plasterboard walls), with an average-sized speaker setup and average furnishings (say carpet or wooden floor with rug) I would say that -20/-30 would be a reasonable-enough volume level. Just my opinion based on MY experience with Yamaha amps - your mileage may vary.

Can't hurt to get the manual out and make sure that everything's setup as you'd expect - the auto-setup, although useful, isn't perfect in every case.