Yamaha 640SE -> 2 yrs -> 757SE

rockhopper

Ex Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering whether anybody has listened to both the 640SE and the new 757SE?? Can anyone tell me whether there is a huge difference in sound quality / processing ability between the two?

I have the 640SE and can't decide whether it is worth upgrading yet?

I know these things get better and cheaper all the time, but the recent changes in the market seem unbelievable. For example, the Pioneer 1015 seems awesome value for money (THX etc). It just seems like over the last 6 months things have just gone daft. Not so long back I was looking at the Denon 2805 at £500 ish - but now Pioneer have released the 1015, and Yamaha fight back with the 757. These units seem dirt cheap. :eek:

What is your budget Rockhopper?

Rockhopper,

I'd hang on in there. I own a Yamaha 750SE, and have also noted the upgrades available for not much cash. Doubtless, there *may* be some improvement in sound from the new amps/receivers, due, if at all, to more sophisticated processing. However, if you are happy with the sound of your receiver, I'd keep it for the moment. Next year, and I'd expect the spec to change again, and the £400 AV receiver to include HDMI switching. That's what I will be waiting for before an upgrade.

That said, the Pioneer 915 looks very tempting. Has same processor as 1015, but cheaper amps and no THX Select 2. Price, however, is VERY tempting £250! However, once again, I expect its successor will cost a little less and have HDMI switching.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies..

Barzo, I think you are right in that I am probably better off waiting for even bigger better things. My 640 certainly isnt shabby, but I cant help notice all these tempting amps coming out!

I will wait for now, at this rate, 2-3 years down the line their should be some unbelievable equipment going dirt cheap :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom