Yamaha 630 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jackal2513, Jan 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got one, any reccomendations, any good ?

cheers

R

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I suggest you do your own homework and search these forums and generally on the net. Alot has been written about the Yamaha and how bad it is (acutally that last bit is a lie ... its generally reguarded well).

Victoria

3. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I can recommend that you buy one, I was happy with it when i first brought it, but then realised that the output from my dvd wasn't set quite right now it is i'm over the moon, the performance is great.

4. retriever

retriever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with TheBorg, got mine 2 weeks ago, well pleased with the performance

5. neilybealy

neilybealy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    just a shame it's not the same colour silver as the sony 1080

6. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I upgraded from an aging Yamaha DSP-E492 a month ago and I'm really pleased with mine. I use it almost exclusively for AV and the Pro-Logic 2 is really worth having - cable TV and video are noticeably better. I also added a centre rear 2 weeks ago (a loan of Lord Of The Rings special edition DVD was the catalyst) and DTS ES 6.1 is fantastic. I have a separate music system but the music performance is perfectly acceptable too. Highly recommended!

7. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Selectortone, I have the E492 as well and was wondering about getting the 630... I had intended to get the E800, but Yamaha don't seem to intend updating that with 6.1 and PLII.

Did you ever have the E492 setup with a 5.1 input, or just with Pro-Logic.... I'd be interested in seeing what your views if you ever compare DD5.1 on the E492 and DD5.1 on the 630... :)

8. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigAde, yes, I did have a 5.1 setup - I have a Sony DVD player with built-in Dolby Digital decoder and used the 5.1 outs into the 5.1 ins of the 492.

There is an improvement in DD5.1 performance - it's newer technology and it's driving all the speakers directly. It's easier to get it all balanced nicely, a much simpler set-up, no more fiddling with the hi-fi volume for the fronts. More 'casual user' friendly too (ie 'er indoors) .

Pro-Logic 2 is great. Really makes a difference with cable and videos.

I bought a set of Mission 702e's for the fronts - Richer Sounds are doing the beech ones for 90 quid at the moment. That's free'd up my audio system (Denon separates and Tannoy 2.5s) which I've moved to another room. Wonderful...I can now listen to my music when I want to.

One big bonus with the 630 is that the remote switches the amp on and off standby - woohoo - that always used to bug me with the 492.

Richer are doing well out of me at the moment, I got the 630 from them as well. I went for the DSP as I don't need the radio. It was £289.00 as far as I remember.

I have all the speakers set to small (which removes the boominess of the 702e's which is why they are so cheap I think) and run a Paradigm PS-1000 sub. With a Paradigm 3050 centre (excellent - really good speaker) it is a nice balanced, neutral system and is capable of earth-shattering volume without noticeable distortion. Not the Rolls-Royce stuff some of the guys have here but for TV and the occasional DVD it suits me just fine.

I've just fitted a centre rear, a Gale Centre 10 - special offer £19.99 at Richers (!!!) which matches the Gale mini Monitors I use for the l-r rears. DTS ES 6.1 is definitely worth getting the carpets up again for!!

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yes, being able to power on/off from the remote would indeed be wonderful! Annoying to say the least on the E492 :mad:

Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like the sort of thing I should go for...I still plan to use my own valve amp for driving the front speakers mind...:D