1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 630 or 640 or something else?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BigAde, Jul 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Apologies if this one has already been answered - although a quick search didn't reveal any conclusive answers...

I presently use the Yamaha DSP-E492 with a decoded DD output from my LG DVD player into the 5.1 inputs on the back. Front channel amplification [and stereo music] is handled by my valve amp. It works fine, but would like the added capability of DTS and PLII.

Since I only need a processor (i.e. valve amp will still do the front amplification), should I consider the AX630 (which I can get for £199), or would the £320 AX640 offer that much better performance? Alternatively, I could fork out £499 for the Denon 3802, although I really don't want to spend that much cash, unless I will REALLY see some serious performance gains (remember I won't be using the front channel amplification of it).
    Of course any other suggestions would be highly welcome (second-hand AVR200?) - I don't go much on raw watts, I would rather concentrate on decoding and sound quality...

Thanks in advance.
    :smashin:

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Stick with the Yamaha sound which you know already. Get the 630, it's a big step up from the E492. Personally I'd avoid the Denon with a valve amp. The 3802 is a bit bright for my tastes, very unlike Yamaha.
    I have the Arcam and reckon the Yamaha 630 is better in surround with films (my mate has one), but not even close in stereo.

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers Nobber22 - many thanks - I guess that's what I wanted to hear. :)

Not worried about the Yamaha's stereo capabilities since I won't be using it for that. Now... just need to convince the missus that I "need" to spend £200, now where's that florist? :suicide:

4. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So anyway, out of interest, what ARE the differences between 630 and 640????

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just about bugger-all IMO. I think the 640 has a bit more power and er.....?

6. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigade

I upgraded my E800 to a 640 a couple of months back. I thought the difference was quite noticeable in all types of surround sound. I particularly enjoy Prologic II on Sky stuff which the E800 lacked.

Stick with Yamaha, I’ve got no complaints at all with the way it integrates with my Meridian system.

Cheers

7. Lister

Lister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got my rx-v640 receiver from germany for £300 incl. delivery, just over a month ago. For that price you can't go wrong. Also comes with a two year european warranty.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I just bought a Valve power amp to try out the 'valve' sound.

It's running on the main channel pre outs of my AX630 and.. it doesn't match well at all :(

Stereo is nice with the valve amp and 5.1 films are just about OK but DPL2 in music mode is a disaster. It's been an education to me that matching amps across the soundstage is pretty important.

The decoding on the Yamaha I have found to be very good, just as usual avoid the sound field enhancements.

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers guys - thanks for the info.
    Have so far failed to persuade the missus that it will be £200 well spent :( "The old one works just fine..." etc etc

...The chances of getting approval for the Panasonic 6-series plasma does not bode well. :rolleyes: