1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 630-Is this it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bob Mitchum, May 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a lot of discussion over sound levels in a recent thread, I can't help feeling that my Yam is not giving me the power and drive I crave for. Previous Yam users say they get a decent level of sound at -40db. At this level watching DVD's, I feel severely underwhelmed and unimpressed.

-25db and then I get some impression of being immersed in a movie. Go more than -20db and the speakers start to hiss.
    I admit I've done the speaker levels by ear. (My nearest Maplins don't have any spl's in stock atm), but I've made sure the dynamic range is kept to max.

The yam is connected to my Nak AV8 via preouts to drive the front speakers( the Nak is set to 10'oclock-go any higher and the front pair take the sound away from the rears).

Can anyone explain this lack of sound? Is it my speakers, or the size of my living room (6m by 3.5m).

The yam should be knocking my Toshiba tv's dolby digital sound for six. Once Maplins get some spl's in stock then I will purchase one. Will you be able to get an accurate reading when measuring speaker levels, as the Yam test tone goes from speaker to speaker in 2.5 seconds?

Yam 630
    Nak Av8
    Tosh 32ZD09B
    Sony DXP850
    Mission 70c1-centre
    Mission 701-fronts
    Mission 700- rears
    Paradigm PR8:lesson: :rolleyes:

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what you are saying, it sounds like the AV8 is supplying a fairly low level preout signal to the 630.

The dynamic range setting probably has no effect on the 630 - presumably you have the preouts from the AV8 going into the multichannel input on the 630, and not a stereo input, such as CD etc. Connecting to the multichannel input should bypass all internal processing on the 630 - leave that to the AV8 (which is where you should set DR to max).

Not familiar with the AV8, but you could try lowering the levels of the centre and surrounds on it, and then turning up the AV8 master volume to compensate. This will increase the level of the front L&R preout signal to the 630 - you'll then need to recalibrate the volume setting on the 630 so it matches with the centre and surrounds. Once set, you shouldn't be using that at all, the main volume level should be adjusted on the AV8 (as the processor for your system, this unit becomes the master volume controller). Also, make sure your speaker setups are correct on the AV8 - not sure what options you get to play around with on that model, so can't be more specific, but things like Small/Large, crossover settings, bass redirection....blah blah!!!
    Finally, do the fronts sound a lot better on the 630 than they do on the AV8?

As for test tones - it may be tricky to get an accurate reading on an SPL meter with only 2.5secs of signal per speaker - you may also have to invest in a setup disc like Avia or Video Essentials.
    Either that, or trust your ears. With a bit of concentration and perseverance, most people should be able to setup the levels reasonably well by ear!

3. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops I've seem to misled you. Teach me to write the post half asleep. The Nak AV8 is connected to the yam. I have done this by connecting phono's from the yam L/R preout to the the Aux input on the Nak. Therefore the Nak is only driving the front speakers while the Yam is driving the rest.

Does any fellow 630 users have a problem when using a spl meter due to the short time periods (for each speaker)of the test tone ? My ears are totally unreliable.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Bob
    I used to have a yamaha receiver htr5540 rated at 65 watts .When i listened to movies it was always round -20 -25 to get good dynamics from the films,-40 was not very high at all so i shouldnt get too worried. my room measures 16'x 14' hope this helps.
    Gonzo.

5. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear u r using the same levels as me Gonzo. Did you use a spl for speaker settings and is your Yam's top volume 00db?

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Bob
    No i didnt use a spl meter and yes 00db was at max volume.
    The nad t752 which i now have goes past 00db to +18db its all rather confusing somtimes i think its better to have volume at max on 00db thats why when you read about other peoples volume levels you start to get confused i think quite a few other amps go past 00db you then get the idea that somthing is not quite right with the output of your own amp.
    Gonzo.

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    just to add my say:
    my 630 is seriously loud at -30db with cd's and dvd's. not so loud with my pc, but my soundcard doesnt output a particularly high signal.