1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha 630 - analogue inputs question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Joe Pineapples, Jan 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Just about ready for connecting everything up to my new 630, but i'm unsure about the following

I want to connect my skydigital L/R phono output to the amp, and also the same from the VCR, but i'm not too sure which of the analogue inputs on the amp i should use for these? (or doesent it matter).

any 630 owners out there, found the best way?.

cheers

dean

2. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    1. Digibox L/R > Amp - Use normal good quality phono cable to connect Digibox L/R phonos to D-TV/CBL inputs on Amp 9ignore the mini-din s-video socket). Then Scart direct from Digibox to TV Scart for RGB input (effectively bypassing the Amp for the video).

2. The 630 has 'VCR in' and 'VCR out' phono jacks. I have my VCR Scart out to the 'VCR in' (using a Scart to s-video+ 2xphono cable) and VCR Scart in to the 'VCR out'.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    thanks for the advice Pegleg. The skydigital box will indeed be connected via scart, straight to the tv, on my setup.

With the above in mind, will it be ok to connect the VCR audio output (L/R) to the 'VCR1 audio in', and as with the digibox, ignore the rest? (video signal i prefer to go straight to the tv as well).

cheers

dean

4. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I initially had the Digibox connected to the amp for video too, using a scart cable to s-video + 2 x phono. This was connected to the D-TV/CBL input on the 630. Then I connected the 'monitor' out from the Amp to the AV2 (S-video in) on my Panny 32PL10. The only prob is that the Digi does not output s-video so I think it was reverting to composite (the picture was in B+W and I had to toggle the AV button on my TV remote to force it to colour). Actually - if it was composite - the picture wasn't too bad. But last night I tested RGB scart direct from Digi to TV AV1 RGB and the picture improved considerably (hence previous description). The above VCR setup posted earlier was ideal for this initial scenario. You can for instance set your Digibox to switch to a channel using the Autoview feature. Leave the 630 switched to D-TV/CBL. Mute the amp (if going to bed). Program your VCR to tape from its AV socket connected to the 630 VCR out and it will tape from the Digi box accordingly. This is a long winded way of saying that my current VCR setup is now not ideal since I've connected the Digi direct to the TV. Apologies if I've confused you. I will scart the VCR thru the digibox this weekend....all good fun (not). I may just get one of those JS RGB to S-video converters and revert to plan A. I can then feel that I am getting the best out of the amp. The forum opinion is that RGB is better than S-video but my (failing?) eyes can't distinguish the difference. Good luck. Feel free to share war stories...

5. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The way that I do it is to use fully wired scarts from the VCR to the Digibox's VCR socket, then scart the Digibox straight to the TV.

The Digibox's audio output is connected to the amp (doesn't matter which but I use the DTV connection).

This way, if I decide to watch a video, it will be displayed ok (and without further input switching) while the sound will be passed through the audio outputs of the Digibox to the amp.

This is a tidier way to do it as there are less cables involved and you won't need to switch the amp over from watching a video or Sky. Plus you won't need to leave the amp on all the time.

Alan

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    thanks for the tips guys - appreciated

think i'll try the VCR sound through the digibox, as suggested by ALSproject - i could certianly do without another phono lead around the back :)

cheers

dean

7. Pegleg2001

Pegleg2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Another tip: If you set your Yamaha RXV630RDS remote to control the Digibox, set it to the Pace Sky box code as listed in the back of the manual (1526 or 1529 ??). I have a Panasonic Digibox so set it to the code listed which did not work of course....had me stumped for a bit.

8. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    ok - ta for that, though i must admit i've always prefered a bunch of remotes than a 'one-for-all' - always a bit concerned i press the wrong button and stop the video recording, or switch the sky channel i'm taping - especially after i've had a few :)

dean