1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 630/730 - experiences?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dali, May 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. dali

dali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Yamahas new receivers RX-V 630 or 730? I'm building my first HT and the only (vital) thing missing right now is the amp, Yamaha always seem to get good reviews and the new 630/730 specs (e.g. real 6.1) look very good. Considering the price range, £400-£500 here in Sweden, they have few contenders. But I've also looked at Harman Kardon 4500/5500, Onkyo TX-SR 600 and even Rotel RSX 972 although it is around £1000 in Sweden.

My speaker setup is as follows:
    Fronts - Linn Ninka (4 ohm, 90 dB)
    Center - QLN 600 (4 ohm, 91 dB)
    Rears - Linn Index II (8ohm, 87 dB)
    No center rear, but a new 6.1 receiver might trigger a purchase :)

I listen to a lot of music, so I want a receiver that is good at both HT and music.

I've thoroughly searched the 'net for reviews but have so far come up with nothing (OK I've found one, but that had almost no useful info) ... So, if anyone has some real experience with a 630 and/or 730, please reply.

/dali

2. dali

dali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noone? Does this mean that they're crap or that there are no 630/730 users out there?

Better go with Harman Kardon then, their users seem happy with both hifi and home theatre ... or maybe Arcam AVR200, costs more but is good at hifi for sure.

/dali

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Yamaha's just came out in UK, so I don't think that many have bought it yet.

There are some other threads about Yamaha's.

4. dali

dali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

That explains why there were no replies ... :) The new 630 has been available for a few weeks here in Sweden, so I assumed that it had been released in all of Europe.

I'm almost sure that I'll go for Harman Kardon 5500 instead of Yamaha 630/730. HK lacks true 6.1, but I'm under the impression that the HK's music performance is way better than the Yamahas, which I personally think is more important.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

/dali

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree that HK's music performance in stereo is very good and I have had Yamaha receivers to compare it with, although a couple of years ago.

A friend who also reviewed a number of receivers and tried my HK AVR500 £600 came out with the following results

Denon 3802 not as good in stereo as my HK
    Nad possibly a bit better than my HK
    Arcam (£800 model?) fantastic but expensive
    Marantz poor
    Yamaha poor

Can't remember all the models, but i've never heard anyone say that HK aren't excellent in stereo :)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Brox is HK's number one fan on this forum but it is probably true that the current range are more musical than Yamaha as stereo performance has never been one of Yamaha's strong points.

7. dali

dali

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

The HK does seem to get good reviews both for music and HT. Had it been a true (no "simulated" 6th channel) 6.1 amp I probably never would have started this thread ... :)

I just talked to my local Onkyo dealer, he's getting the new TX-SR 600 in a couple of weeks. That one is true 6.1 and Onkyo also has a good stereo reputation.

This is getting more and more difficult ... :)

/dali

8. 18j

18j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been told by sevenoaks that the new yamaha's have been delayed untill mid june!! maybe thats why there's not been much reply......still waiting for my 630.
    wayne

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I listened to both the Marantz 5200 and Yamaha 630 at my local 7oaks. The Yamaha seemed much more dynamic and cinematic, the marantz sounded a little restrained and unexciting.