1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 620 or Marantz SR5200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by akasja, Feb 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. akasja

akasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant get to see these two models, so I'm checking as many sources as I can for info.

Which do you reckon out of these two are the best (or indeed similarly priced alternatives).

Thanks

2. gz5ztg

gz5ztg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It is a shame you can't hear from them yourself really but most people seem to like the sound of the Marantz, both on these forums and on TheDVDForums too.

There have been a few problems reported with some of the Marantz SR series of amps but I have an SR4200 and have experienced no problems whatsoever. I also love trhe sound, very good for music too which was important for me.

At the end of the day I think the number of problems vs. number of happy marantz owners is low and certainly I am very happy with mine.

The marantz SR5200 being a newer amp also supports 6.1 and dolby pro logic II.

3. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually going to buy the Yamaha RDS620 but after hearing feedback saying the the Marantz was a better all rounder opted for the 4200. Certainly haven't been dissapointed although I can't say i've heard the 620RDS so maybe a bit unfair to say whether it's better or not.

If you're not bothered about audio then the Yamaha may be a better choice if you are going to use for audio then the Marantz is probably the one for you.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Marantz is not better than the Yamaha in my opinion. But it has 6.1 support and Dolby Pro-logic II so it would be the better choice.

5. DaleL

DaleL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`ve recently bought a 620 & I`m very pleased with it :)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The problem with questions like this is that in all probability not many people have had a serious demonstration of both amplifiers. Yamaha amps are always a safe bet and the 620 has been well reviewed in the magazines but I have never heard one.

I have had a Sony 1070 for a few months and now have a Marantz 6200 which I think is significantly better in moves and music.

This is not the comparison that you asked for but is the best that I can offer.

7. akasja

akasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.

Still confused though - especially by pointon saying 'But it has 6.1 support and Dolby Pro-logic II so it would be the better choice.
    '!!

Is 6.1 a widely enough used format right now?? Does pl2 not just allow for stereo to be played though 5 channels?? If you say the Yamaha is better in your opinion then does opting for 6.1 and pl2 make a suitable enough benefit for a loss in sound quality??

This is the worst of living in Northern Ireland where there are few, if any, places that hold these stock

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pro Logic 2 is suitable for any Pro Logic encoded material which now covers most television programmes and pre recorded videos. It is a half way house between the original Pro Logic and real 5.1 digital surround sound.

6.1 has the addition of a centre rear channel and whilst there are not very many DVD's encoded this way at the moment, the number are growing. The problem with 6.1 and 7.1 is that you need to have a suitable room to get the benefit. If you have a small room with your settee back against the wall you could end up with a worse sound and not better.

9. akasja

akasja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if thats the case (small room) would I be better going for the yamaha over the marantz?? Or just go for the marantz but use it in 5.1 mode?

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a fairly small room with the settee pushed up against the back wall so haven't bothered with the extra speaker. The Marantz sounds superb as it is and I would probably spoil the sound quality that I already have by trying to squeeze in that extra speaker.

11. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ian try the rear spkr,my room is 18 foot by 13 approx,if i pull my settee forward by about 18" and place the rear at the back of the sette its a marked improvement,Answering the other question if anyone was to get the marantz the extra Center rear is always ther for future use
    i use the 5200 marantz,and find dolby 11 brings normal tv alive

12. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ratmark, I'm thinking about the SR5200 as well but need some advice. What sort of speaker are you using for the centre surround. I've got mission 77DS rears, is it possible just to get one of a pair or another centre speaker. Any advice useful. Cheers.

13. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only had the amp about three weeks so i havnt bought a rear center yet,but at the moment,
    I use an old Gale center £30 from richer sounds! ( from my old setup,which is resting in my bedroom).This works really good but im led to believe that a std spkr is better ie buy a pair of "whatever make" spkrs you choose and only use 1 of them,A slight waste of money! im yet to convinced,as i said the gale centre works fine so at present i dont feel the need to spend any more cash
    But i have to say when i first tried the 5200 i was amazed how much better it was than the sherwood,wider sound stage,both in the front and rear and the increase in quality from the center,loads more ambiance/echos/depth etc,Then i added the rear center just to see really what it sounded like
    Everything just seems smoother,the attack on pearl harbour from the said film was pretty impressive from a surround point of view on 5.1,but the extra spkr makes a massive difference,id say have a look at some reasonable priced center spkrs or beg a bog std one of your mates hifi just to have a listen to see if you think its worth spendind a few quid on one in the long
    As for the amp cracking value,but its wasted if you dont try the cntr rear
    As i said try hifi junkies forgot to mention you also get 2 year warrenty not 1 as with some other sites !

14. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate,
    just tried them and they've got none left in stock. They're flying out the door at the moment. I've got a Sherwood 6090 at the mo so it sounds like this is the upgrade I've been waiting for. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers :)

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    scarfie,

You have to be careful putting another pair of Mission 77Ds as rear centres and I think that it is recommended that you mix bipoles and direct firing speakers in this sort of situation.

I have the same rears on my side walls and if I put another on the rear wall the drivers will all be firing at each other and the result will probably sound a mess.

16. mikenruth

mikenruth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to use this amp for music, DVD and analogue AV sources (TV, VHS satellite, etc), then the Marantz wins hands down (for me ;) ), but if you are going to use it for DVD only, then the Yamaha can be bought for less, and in 5 channel is on a par with the Marantz. Prologic II is a HUGE improvement over Prologic, but this is only a benefit if you use non 5.1 sources.

Me? I'd buy the Marantz. The 6.1 can benefit non 6.1 encoded software occasionally, too.

17. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. First I'll put an order in - no one seems to have it in stock, then I'll probably buy a M7C1 centre once I persuade the better half about the benefits ;)
    Cheers.

18. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look on here as of 11 o clock today marantz sr5200 in stock
    i think price was about 350 but you can get interest free credit on it on this site :eek

www.homecinemaheven.com

19. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about stepping up to the 6200 for £355 at QED ?

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=ZUSuY0Uw0sa0&bg=212&bp=6200b&v=8

Any comments on the diferrence between the two ?

BJ "Future Marantz owner ;-)"

20. bob69

bob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RX-V620RDS won this years What Hifi Award for that category so it must be pretty useful, has Pro-Logic Enhanced mode which is similar to Pro-Logic II

21. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both the RXV620RDS and the AX620 and i think they are superb, as well as winning that what hifi award picking the AX620 up now for £269 is a bargain not to be missed imo

22. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but no PLII, no receiver - I think the Marantz represents a better deal.