• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha 5830 - Speaker sets (lrg vs sml)

jeetendra

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Yamaha HTR-5830 Receiver connected to the Yamaha NS-P110 5.1 speaker set. I am rather unhappy with sound quality in Stereo mode (only front L/R speakers employed, for CD audio). Therefore I should like to buy floor-standing speakers and connect them to the "B" front speaker terminal as this unit supports switchable speaker sets.

However, here is the problem: when I run through the "Sound Setup" and set the Front speakers for Set "A" to "Small" (they are satellites), this setting is carried over to Set "B" as well. That is to say, I seem unable to get the receiver to realise that set "A" is small, while set "B" is large. I should add that I have not yet connected speakers to the "B" terminals as I wanted to test this out before making a purchase.

What are the consequences of this? I'd appreciate any help or feedback regarding this problem. Thanks very much!

H

HiFiver

Understand your problem though can't fix it unfortunately! I think there must be a way of programming it to your satisfaction.....you've read the manual?
Still, the obvious way to try it now is to stay on 'A' and switch to 'large' for the front stereo and 'small' elsewhere. You can adjust the tone for your centre speaker, making it more compatible with the floorstanders.... If the floorstanders sound better in stereo then use them for surround as well.

jeetendra

Standard Member
HiFiver said:
Understand your problem though can't fix it unfortunately! I think there must be a way of programming it to your satisfaction.....you've read the manual?
Still, the obvious way to try it now is to stay on 'A' and switch to 'large' for the front stereo and 'small' elsewhere. You can adjust the tone for your centre speaker, making it more compatible with the floorstanders.... If the floorstanders sound better in stereo then use them for surround as well.

Hi, HiFiver. Yes, I have read the manual but it makes no mention of this. I appreciate your advice and will consider buying floorstanders that match my front center speaker. Perhaps in future I could upgrade the rear speakers as well. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom