Yamaha 5600 soundbar and Samsung 8k neo tv hdmi arc issues

wattzat

Novice Member
I just purchased a new samsung 8k tv. My yamaha 5600 does not like it much. The soundbar works ok for sound via streaming or fta, however if I use anything else plugged via hdmi into the 1 connect box, the screen blacks out every 20 seconds. Blu ray and settop box. Retailer says I might have to go digital optical. Its plugged from arc into e arc and cec still on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you disconnect the Soundbar does the TV work OK with the external Sources connected via the OneConnect Box?

Joe

wattzat

Novice Member
Yes. With tv speaker. But the soundbar is fine with streamed and fta. Retailer says the tv is too new tech and is not decoding arc correctly.

outoftheknow

Retailer says the tv is too new tech and is not decoding arc correctly.
That must be Harvey Norman or similar…….

ARC is Audio Return Channel. It has no coding. Black screen every 20 seconds sounds more like content protection.

The bc may not passthrough some audio codecs to eARC/ARC.

wattzat

Novice Member
Yes HN. Both devices work fine through tv speaker. So is my only option using digital optical cable? Rather than Hdmi Arc?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried changing the HDMI cable which connects the TV eARC to the Soundbar ARC?

Which audio format is your external device sending to the TV when you have the Soundbar connected and ARC selected as the audio device?

Joe

wattzat

Novice Member
Tried numerous hdmi cables, currently new 8k shielded 2.1. Its a fetch set top box, dolby 5.1 I think, same for bluray dts dolby.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Try setting the Sources to stereo and if that works step it up to 5.1 DD.

Joe

wattzat

Novice Member
I am starting to think its a hdmi switching issue of some sort. The other thing I just remembered is ever since connecting the yamaha soundbar to the new 8k from my old samsung hd, I cannot get the setup menu of the Yamaha 5600 to show on screen, just says source not found. So cannot check any hdmi settings. I will try the stereo thing

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
There won't be many HDMI settings to tinker with on the 5600. It's the same as my older 4100, as I recall. Did the 5600 work before the arrival of the 8K box? If so, it's either a compatibility issue of some sort or a fault, possibly with the 8K TV. Trouble is, the 5600, like my 4100, is would be called a 'legacy' device. Although it's compliant with the bulk of the specs., it won't play with HDMI 2.1 sources properly, from what I've read. My 2019 LG TV and my 4100 don't always play nicely. My 4100 is 10+ years old. Things move on.

You should be able to get to the 5600's setup screen though. Just select the correct input the 8K TV with the 5600 powered-up. Having to revert/resort to an optical connection is utter nonsense. With the 8K TV such a new animal, I would suspect that. Good luck getting any decent support from Samsung!

One thing that I would definitely do is to set the Samsung's ARC port, to ARC, not eARC. The additional signalling and whatnot could be confusing things.

outoftheknow

The soundbar has an HDMI input doesn’t it? Plug the devices into that and make sure that works.

FTA and streaming from the TV means ARC is working for audio in whatever codec is set to output via digital audio. As above though turn off eARC and only set ARC.

Audio passthrough shouldn’t have an effect on video inputting to the TV. There is no “switching” as such. The audio and video go into the TV and the seperate audio output and video input settings route things. Do you get sound when there is a picture? Does audio drop when picture goes black?

Is video input on TV set to something other than auto? Are all audio settings set to passthroug? Again try settings other than auto.

wattzat

Novice Member
No sound, black screen. Originally my set top box and dvd were plugged into soundbar, will try that. Tech coming in morning. Will stipulate dont want optical,this should work, tv is a month old and we are also waiting for new screen, maybe its a lemon.

wattzat

Novice Member
The soundbar has an HDMI input doesn’t it? Plug the devices into that and make sure that works.

FTA and streaming from the TV means ARC is working for audio in whatever codec is set to output via digital audio. As above though turn off eARC and only set ARC.

Audio passthrough shouldn’t have an effect on video inputting to the TV. There is no “switching” as such. The audio and video go into the TV and the seperate audio output and video input settings route things. Do you get sound when there is a picture? Does audio drop when picture goes black?

Is video input on TV set to something other than auto? Are all audio settings set to passthroug? Again try settings other than auto.
I tried to do it this way as this is the way I had it set up with my previous Samsung HD tv, which worked perfectly, grrr. When I plugged the blueray player into the soundbar, I got sound but no pic through the tv. Much the same as no menu for the soundbar on the new 8k tv. Had a tech out today and he said everything was setup perfectly and the issue was very intermittent and random and had no real clue. So its back to Samsung. A month old tv and cannot use the HDMI ports for anything. Mind you when I switch to free to air, and streaming, taking out the 1 connect box the yamaha soundbar works perfectly, using tv-arc also. So the panel of the tv is getting replaced as the some of the small led lights have failed and another tech said this is what is causing the interrmittent black screen when connected via HDMI - but I do not think so, the tech today said the 1 connect box. Geez

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
8k is bleeding edge tech. If the 5600 worked with an older TV, it might be worth trying that combo. to ensure that everything still works, just in case the bar has somehow been damaged (unlikely).

With a screen failure on a new piece of kit I wouldn’t accept a repair, I’d be asking for a replacement.

I don’t buy the “tech’s” answer either. Utter twaddle.

outoftheknow

With a screen failure on a new piece of kit I wouldn’t accept a repair, I’d be asking for a replacement.
Indeed and over there you might get one. Here the Warranty rules and consumer laws are a bit different and it is possible the OP paid for third party warranty that retailer pushes.

Anyway I agree the panel is a furphy for the issues. One Connect box main suspect for sure. The soundbar passes 4K60 and ARC is working from TV sources.

Could just be settings but tech said all good - not that that means much of course …….

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I didn’t appreciate the location of the OP. Sorry, my bad.

It might be worth dropping both Yamaha and Samsung emails to see what they say, checking things like firmware being up to date and so forth. I do know that the US 5600 firmware is a later version than available elsewhere, which might be worth looking at. It might also be worth trying an 8K-specced HDMI cable (if such a beast exists) between the bar and the TV.

If the bar worked previously then my money’s on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom