1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 530 and center speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cribeiro, Dec 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi!

I have discovered something strange this weekend, and I have the feeling it has always been like this:
    when I set the center speaker to "None", there is still sound coming from it, and it is non-negligible, so to say... In stereo no sound comes from it, but if I set the prologic II in "movie", there is... I didn't try other possibilities, like DD, DTS or PLII-music.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks.

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When looking at the schematics for another Yamaha receiver, the RX-V1500, I found that downmixing of channels to phantom mode is done in the analog domain after digital-to-analog conversion and volume adjustment. So when you set the center speaker to none and have selected a mode that produces a center channel output, it's possible that the center channel is still active even though it's mixed into left and right as well.

Ther reason they mix down the channels in the analog domain and not the digital is presumably that this way, they won't have to reduce the levels in the digital-to-analog conversion to make the necessary headroom for the downmix.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks. I am impressed.
    Well, thanks to that answer I also feel relieved, because I am planning to sell it, and I was expecting good money. I simply cannot be dishonest, so it is good that this is normal.
    Merry Christmas!