1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 3090. Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BadAss, Feb 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Had my Yamy 3 years now but was wondering if its worth upgrading. The 3090 first came out in 1996 when Laserdisc was still king, but now DVD has taken over I was wondering if my Poineer 737 would sound better on a new amp.
    Just comparing the two, Laserdisc and Dvd, Laserdisc still sounds better on this amp.
    Why? Is it because the compresion on Laserdisc soundtrakes are less than that on Dvd?
    Two new Yamys have been released since the 3090. Has anyone else made this upgrade and was it worth it?

------------------
    Is he the one?

2. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the 1070 from yamaha.
    I just replaced it with the sony strdb 940.

To tell you the truth the yamaha has much more power and looks cooler than the Sony.
    But the sound of the sony with my Kef Qserie speakers sounds better, not as aggressive.

Anyway i wouldn't have thought to replace my yamaha, IF the 1070 had a 5.1 input.
    Without it my yamaha wasn't capable to deliver DTS and DD.
    If your 3090 is capable in delivering DTS/DD (have 5.1inputs)i wouldn't replace it.
    I can't believe the newer amps will be better suited to DVDs than the older models.

I heard that people with LD is not that impressed with DVD. Mostly due to it's compressiontechniek. Still uncomparable to LD.

But maybe a reason to upgrade now is the new DTS/DD ES sound.
    I know for sure that your amp doesn't have this possibility and maybe a good reason for a upgrade

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 3090 does not have 5.1 input but still can deliver DD (=AC3) 5.1 sound via the digital inputs.
    An upgrade/modification is IMHO too expensive and not worth it though possible.
    When I was about to purchase my first AV amp ever I was looking closely at the 3090 but since I did my homework (and figured there is no 5.1 input) I waited a bit and purchased the DSP-A1.
    I did not compare the soundquality (pretty much impossible down here) so I leave it to yourself to find out.
    If you want to go for DTS or even DD Ex and DTS ES / DTS ES Discrete (6.1) I think you will have no choice then replacing the 3090.
    Should you wish to upgrade perhaps start looking at seperates, too.

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Have you looked at www.videotec.co.uk to see what they can do at what price for your amp? It should still be a good amp. If you can get what you want cheaply, then maybe your money is better spent on something like better speakers (?) or so rather than upgrade an amp which is possibly ok for some time yet.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why Bother upgrading...well not for a while.

I have the 3090 and it is still one of the best sounding DD amps around and as for DTS, 6.1 and 7.1 how much software is available to listen to??!!

I will wait until there is a good selection before spending more money

Kirbz

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just recieved an email from Yamaha which stated DVD's should sound just as good as LD's but its down to the software involved.
    So I will keep the 3090 for now and maybe upgrade to a power amp in the future.
    Thanx for the reply.

------------------
    Is he the one?