Question Yamaha 3070 and YPAO advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by killer10971, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    should I just blindly accept the results from YPAO as I am finding the results inconsistent on a 5.1.4

I have had advice before on here and read other information that the distances and levels are set via time delays taking into account room EQ

I think the room maybe a problem as its a log cabin with apart from a settee and blinds on the windows.

don't get me wrong it sounds good but if I check speaker level balance and distance they are out rerun ypao and the results change quite dramatically ie Fl and FR are 3.5m Centre will be 4.3m and all speakers are on the same plane, rerun ypao and all fronts come in at 3.5m ish.

the wildly different results are whats giving doubt in the results

I am experimenting with my atmos speakers hence why I keep rerunning YPAO

many thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,957
    Where is the mic being placed during the calibration and are you using a mic stand. The results can be inconsistent depending upong the placement of the mic, especially if placed upon soft firnishing as oposed to being mounted securely on a stand.

The fact that you are in a log cabin and the furniture within it should result is such varied results. The measurements should be relatively similar irrespective of how many times you run the calibration.

3. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    the mic is mounted on a camera tripod following the Yamaha layout starting at main listening position and measuring 6 positions including angle and height.

just wondered if its common the throw a bad measurement and regardless should I manually measure using laser rangefinder and spl to doublecheck

many thanks dante

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,957
    I'd suspect it simply being due to the multipoint measurements. It is very unlikely that you'd manage to attain all the measurements from the exact same locations so you would get some degree of variation each time.. Chances are that if you were to do a single point calibration then it would result with very similar results each and every time. I'd test this to rule out there being a fault with the mic.

Physical distances measurements cannot account for the delay processing may be having upon the signal so may not result in the correct delays being applied if you enter physical measurements manually:

Subwoofer Integration: Bass Management and Distance Settings Explained

There's no reason why you cannot manually fine tune the speaker levels though using an SPL meter.

5. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I thought distance and level were from position 1 and the other positions just gave EQ information. I have tried doing a single point measurement and the resulting sound was harsh.

if I want to use my spl meter do I turn volume to 0 and what should the test tone read 75 or 85db and should I put YPAO to through ??

many thanks

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,957
    If using an Audyssey equipped AV receiver then yes, the first position would be from where distances and levels are measured. Yamaha's multipoint calibration is more to do with dealing with multiple seating positions than it is about the accoustics surrounding one location so the receiver does average the distances and levels as measured from multiple locations.

I've always found Yamaha receiver to set their relative reference level to something closer to 80db than 75db, but I'd concentrate more on the levels being the same as opposed to setting them to an exact level. I think you mean the PEQ setting as opposed to YPAO when you ask about setting it to through? It shouldn't be in effect while running the test tone, but yes, set it to through just in case.

7. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i did check speaker level relative to each other and they were widely different with multiple measurements. I will use two at MLP and check from there

many thanks dante

makes sense

8. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I just did a another 4 measurements all local to the listening position within 30cm of the first and then tweaked with spl meter.

the result is much better

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,957
    I tend to just do a single point calibration with my RXA1050. I cannot say that the multipoint calibrations I've done with it were any better, but then again I'm the only person using my setup so there'd be little if any point to taking measurements from other potential seating locations.

10. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    like I said when I did a single point measurement ,which I have only tried once , the sound was harsh/brash

maybe a blip