Yamaha 2600 fried my MS 902i'!

Kendalbeefcake

Established Member
Reaction score
Help!

I’ve just upgraded my Amp from a Yamaha 750SE to a Yamaha RXv2600 series and I’m having some major problems with the new amp, so much so I’ve had to pull it and swap back to my faithfull 750..

When plugging in the 2600 series I deliberately kept it simple and initially wired the front left, right, rear left and right and a single input source (my freeview box), leaving initially out the centre, sub and SBL and SBR speakers due to my paranoia of getting something wrong.

The first issue I came across was that the unit wasn’t turning on, it took and still takes about 10 attempts to press the “main zone on” button to get thing to turn on; push the button, the LCD lights, there is a click from what I assume is an internal relay or power cut out and the unit is dead again.

The first time I actually get the thing to power on and stay on, within a few seconds there is a fast “bang, crackle, bang, crackle” sound coming from the ONLY rear speakers which sounds a lot like someone shorting the speakers. In a panic I kill the power from the front switch and double check the connections; I’ve not crosswired it and the input is the freeview box via the optical (deliberately chosen as 1st input as there is no chance of a short) is not even on. I assume that there must be something screwed in the config, I dig out the factory reset from the manual, I triple check everything (including the manual) and try again.

Same result, Bang Bang Bang

My speakers are Mordaunt Short 906 at the front and 902i’s at the rear. I’ve only had the “i”s two weeks and just finished running them in on the old Yammy 750. Both the front and rears are rated between 4-8 ohms; the 2600 has two settings 6 and 8 ohms so in with either case I should be well within specification. On my 750 it had a wider specification and when I got it wrong the first time it just sounded bad and the YPAO wouldn’t function properly; I figured out the mistake, YPAO picked up and no damage done. My cables are QED XT350 terminated by QED with Airloc plugs and have worked flawlessly for 1 year plus.. They still work fine with my re-instated 750. The whole system is filtered by an IsoTek Mains filter (the mains isn’t particularly noisy anyway), held on an Atacama rack, is well ventilated and not in direct sunlight. I’m not bi-wiring or bi-amping.

The last set of bangs sounded bad. I pull the rears completely and just start with the fronts. Actually get as far as completing the YPAO, obviously only picking up the fronts. Fan runs constantly (even tho the sound is barely on and I’ve gotten no-where near HDMI up conversion yet). Sounds OK. Pull the power, disconnect the fronts and plug in the rears into the front sockets. I get some sound out of it but it’s not good. The tweeters are functioning, the woofers are not. I’m now pretty sure the internal crossovers are fried. I now have around a £1000 worth of Junk. I pull out the 2600 and hope that the rest of the system is not fried. I reconnect the 750. If I try and run YPAO with the sick sounding 902i’s, the amps internal trip kicks in and shuts the amp down. Not wishing end up with two dead amps I don’t try that again and connect the MS 302’s I was intending on using as SBL and SBR. YPAO works, I have a system.

This afternoon I setup the 2600 in the spare room to determine the precise pathology. I dig out my old “argos special” speaker wire and the set up speakers that I had with my old Sony Midi system. I start by plugging the single-cone Sony rears into the Front sockets; sounds tinny using my MP3 player a source but works OK. I plug in the old sony three-ways into the fronts, sounds better, still working OK. I plug in the sony rears into the rears sockets. Power the thing up and get a loud “crack” from the rears and then silence. I run YPAO, fronts are picked but the rears are silent. Something bad is defiantly happening to the rear outputs, but it still doesn’t make sense. I plug the rears back into the fronts, they sound tinny but don’t seem seriously damaged. I plug the Sony Fronts into the rear sockets, power it up and “Bang” Crack! Bang!”

It would appear that my “new” 2600 series can’t abide having a passive crossover on the Surround/Zone 2 connector. I’ve plugged the Sony fronts back in and they don’t sound two healthy. I now have £1100 of Junk. There is nothing in the manual to suggest that this out of spec and my trusty 750 could and can still handle it. I’ve seen other systems with KEF IQ9’s as SBR and SBL so I don’t see why this should be problem. Throughout all my testing over the weekend, the until has failed to come on properly at all first or even 5th time. I can only assume that there is a serious fault with the unit.

Given what I’ve said here, can anyone please offer any suggestion as to what my be wrong or anything that I’ve missed out? I’m going to have to go back to Richer Sounds and see what/if they can do with the 902i’s and obviously I’m try to get hold the of dealer where I bought the AMP, but so far they are not answering my mails.. :thumbsdow

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Kendalbeefcake

Sounds like an amp problem to me.
You did everything exactly as I would have done, as far as I can tell.
The impedances shouldn't be a problem :confused:
I'd take it back.
Getting compo for your speakers might prove to be a problem though :thumbsdow

Hi Kendal, quite a harrowing experience you are having with the v2600.

Certainly sounds as though you have a duff receiver there. From the sound of it your correspondance with the dealer is having to be done by email which doesn't sound good at all.

I am currently trying to locate a good used 2600 or ex demo model (currently have an ad in wanted section). This experience has made me even more cautious in my approach. Apparently Yamaha will not deal with purchases made through the internet and I don't even know if warranties are tranferable when buying 2nd hand.

Missed a couple of ex demo's on fleebay recently as well.

I rang 'purelygadgets' (after waiting for 8 previous callers to clear) and who have it on offer at around the £730 mark and when I asked about the warranty sales issue with buying from them over the net. They said they covered it themselves. Deffo looks like grey imports and enough said about their own cover (or lack of it) so I didn't bother.

My other option is to go for a new V1700 after Chrissie which I can get locally from a dealer at £800.

Without wanting to appear dis-respectful it would be helpful if you have an issue with a dealer to perhaps either name and shame or keep us informed of youir progress.

Hi,

I am so far (having fun and games), the dealer may just be busy..I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for now; the unit itself is an ex-demo box and is definatly UK stock from a "reputable" dealer and was one of a pair. Physically the box is in perfect condition; I can barely tell that it's every been used..However it was sent just it's orgingal packaging, however some of the shrink wrapping was missing and had been replaced with random other bits of packing. I'm just a little worried that 22kgs of solid steel AMP lost an argument with a parcel force fork-lift..

I was hopping that someone say "Did you forget to throw the magic switch on the back?" But alas not so far..

Thanks for the feedback

Kendal

Well some better news, the dealer has come back to me and offered to have the box picked up and sent to Yamaha, but looks like I'll be without it till the new year :-(

Once it's resolved one way or any other I'll let you guys know who the dealer is..

Thanks chaps for the support..

Hi,

I can't believe it's taken a month to get to this point but I thought I'd give post-script.

I took delivery of the 2600 last monday, to discover a perfectly working but now freshly dented AMP :( It had cleary been dropped on the front corner and the steel (Titanium??) fascia had an impressive crease. There was also a dent in the lid that could of only happened whilst the lid was off (and therefore under repair by the service centre!) and a dirty great screw-driver shaped gouge in the front. Needless to say, not happy with a bashed amp..

I rang the dealer and I asked if they would either part-ex or refund; they bit my arm off at the suggestion of the part-ex. I was in the area today (well, driving past on my way to doncaster!) and swapped the 2600 for a new RX-1700; if the marketing is to be believe is the replacement..I paid the difference between the ebay price and the peter tyson price for the rx-1700..Still not sure whether or not I should of insisted on the refund?

The spec seems slightly higher, most noticibly the support for 1080p (although my Sony v series only does 1080i) and the optional I-dock widget (which I won't ever get as I hate i-poos).

So, whats the opinion, am I a shrewd and savey consumer or have I just been stiffed?
:confused:

First impression is you've been done.
They should have compensated for the speakers (If I'm talking out of my butt, let me know, it's been a month).

Hi,

I forgot to mention, Richer Sounds replaced the speakers FOC under their guarntee; you really can't fault their customer services. I won't say I lied but I was economical with the truth; the phrase I used was "They have ceased to function.."! As RS sorted me out I didn't push the dealer for compensation for the speakers..

Thanks for your interest..

Kendal

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom