• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yamaha 1700 - 2700 or 3800

dazzler9000

Established Member
I have the Yamaha rx-v2600 and have been looking at second hand 1700, 2700 or maybe a 3800 (although there is a big price hike) to replace my 2600 down stairs and then moving the 2600 up in to my bedroom.

My question are, have there been any major sound quality upgrades on the later amps or should I just pick up a bargain 2600 for the bedroom.

To me it looks like the 2700 and 3800 and the same but the 3800 does the HD codecs. I'm not really willing to pay loads more just the HD codecs, but I would if there was a considerable increase in sound quality for both music and movies.

I'm not massively worried about the network connectivity as I already have squeezebox and I can't see the amp doing half as good job anyway. I've also read that the 2700 seems to have a few issues also.

Any advice? How would the 1700 compare to the 2600 (which is older but a higher end model)?

dazzler9000

Established Member
Anyone?

donington

Established Member
Hi well ive had the same problem same amp the 2600. I put it on ebay for £475 got lods of watchers but no one bid on it after a ten day a acution so i spoke to my local hi fi dealer and he said to keep it and when i get my blue ray player later in theyear i could just use the out put leads to send hd audio and see how i get on.

donington

Established Member
the 1700 is just the same as the 2600 it replaced the 2600 but they took of the thx so i bought the 2600 for £700 instead. the 1800 is the replacment for the 1700 but i carnt see their been any sound improvment only for hd audio codec i myself think that only having the 2600 for 18 months it realy isnt worth unless you really want an amp with hd audio codecs but as my hi fi dealer pointed out the blue ray player can do that for it instead. So ill save me more money and get a good blue ray player instead. Some people will tell you that a amp useing its own hd codecs is better than the players but some will say that aint true. So it really comes down to your own ears hope this helps.

donington

Established Member
Hi again forget to say the 3800 is a lot more up the price scale to the 2600,1700,and the 2700 so should sound better but it will cost so if it was me, to make any worth while up grade the 3800 is the one to go with.

donington

Established Member
2600 Rrp£900 Came Out In 2006
1700 Rrp£900 Came Out Winter 2006
2700 Rrp£1300 Came Out 2006
1800 Rrp£1000 Came Out 2007 Hd Audio
3800 Rrp£1400 Came Out 2007 Hd Audio

dazzler9000

Established Member
Thanks Donington,

I do like the look of the 3800 but It would be nice to hear from somebody that has one, and to know how much better it is than the 2600 performance wise, or are Yamaha just getting greedy and increasing their prices because they know that us Brits will pay them. Obviously I know it has better video capabilities and network, but it's the sound I'm after....

donington

Established Member
Yep greedy is what they are when compared to what the yanks pay for the same amps/dvd ect.But im on my 4th yamaha amp and dont think i would ever buy any other. See if you can get a demo or you will be buying blind. Glad to help.:)

TheHobbit

Established Member
I got the 1700 last month, new from Peter Tyson AV for £400 and am very pleased with it.

dazzler9000

Established Member
Yep greedy is what they are when compared to what the yanks pay for the same amps/dvd ect.But im on my 4th yamaha amp and dont think i would ever buy any other. See if you can get a demo or you will be buying blind. Glad to help.:)

I know what you're saying. On ebay you can grab a 3800 for about £540 from the US.

Got to admit I do love the sound of my 2600, but always in the market for something better!

dazzler9000

Established Member
Anybody else got any of the above amps and fancy commenting?

chrissyman

Established Member
I got the 1700 last month, new from Peter Tyson AV for £400 and am very pleased with it.

Me too and the 2700 dvd also, and am also very pleased with it, the 2700 was an amazing buy, but it all comes down down to how much you are willing to spend' if you bought the new 1800 i am sure you wont be disappointed.

monga

Standard Member
hi to all

i am new to this forum

i can see this is the best forum to be :thumbsup:

i have rx1800 i am not no wer is the problem i am not getinng the 7 channnels on it works on 5 channels only i used PS3 .and sumsang bd-p1400 blu-ray .
one more problem dvdblu-ray the move goldencompess after 20 minnut it make load sound like its going to bloaup my speckers this is the second dvd i have changed twise?

speckers B&W , 7 CHANNELS , STRATA SUBWOFER , HDTECHNNOMATE COMBO6900,

BD-P1400 SAMSUNG ,PS3 SONY ,LCD 50 INCH LG,

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom