Yamaha 1500 Thx Issues

S

seresa

i have a yammy 1500 and pair B&W 603s3, pair B&w 600, pair B&W lcr60 and sub B&W asw600.

The THX mode plays well, but the surround enhanced mode ( in dts es or d. digital ex) plays much better than the THX mode and the surround its more real and strong.

I also tried several thx fims ( star wars ex.) but i prefere the enhanced surround mode than the so know THX mode.

Iam missing something ?. can anyone give me some clue of an eventual configuration needed to boost the THX mode?

Thank you

I had a 1500 on loan for a week and it is a very good amp for the money.

I dont think you are missing anything though as I too prefered normal dolby digital and dts to the THX mode and the enhanced mode seemed to add more openess to the sound which can appear initially more impressive.(IMHO)

In comparison I found the THX mode more subdued and less lively/interesting and didnt use it.

I prefereed the standard dd and dts but its all personal preference.

So I think everything is fine with your amp. Some may prefer the THX mode depending on setup etc.

I was using it with the AE evo 3b package.

If you like the enhanced mode - use it !

THX processing and Yamaha Cinema DSP processing differ quite a bit.

THX processing adds decorrelation to the left and right surround channels when they contain identical sound, essentially shifting the sound out-of-phase between them to spread the sound and reduce speaker localization. It also adds timbre matching to the surround channels to compensate for differences between surround and front speakers, and re-equalization to the front channels to compensate for the high-frequency emphasis (X-curve) in movie soundtracks.

Those are all pre-configured to THX specs and THX processing is not always appropriate. It assumes the soundtrack isn't already adapted for home reproduction, and you can't really ever know for sure if it is or not. When a soundtrack is sweetened for the home video release, I guess THX processing can actually degrade the sound. I'm not entirely sure though.

Yamaha's Enhanced Surround mode uses their soundfield processing to put an array of "virtual surround speakers" and acoustics into the soundfield instead. It basically tries to emulate the acoustic environment in a typical movie theater (albeit more modestly than their Movie Theater modes). So, it's quite a different beast than THX processing and may feel more spacious and inviting.

So, THX processing and Cinema DSP are almost complete opposites, sharing only that they're trying to improve the listening experience in a home setup. While the philosophy of home THX is to make the environment have as little effect on the sound as possible, as in THX certified movie theaters, and THX processing only to emulate the speaker setup used there, the philosophy of Cinema DSP is simulating the sound when the environment does have an effect on the sound, as in traditional movie theaters.

Personally, I feel that with vanilla settings, the Enhanced mode is a bit too active. The good thing is you can play around with it though, which you can't with the THX processing.

thank you for answering zacabeb and ukroadster.

Maybe it should be yamaha to certifie the THX processing and not the other way arround...

But THX isn't a DSP...it's a set of standards. Most of them derive from before the days of digital sound in the home. However, THX Ultra2 is geared very much towards the digital sound formats - to the point of reccomending direct radiating speakers for surround backs...the Tomlison Holman, who is widely regarded as having invented THX, is apparantly not to keen on that idea...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom