Yamaha 1500, Denon 2805 or Harman/Kardon 435???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arielshiran, Oct 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one of these models would you take for your home theater system if you would use it about 50% of the time for watching movies and 50% of the time for listening to music and you would use it with a 5.1 satellite speakers+subwoofer set (a good one-let's say M&K K5s, Energy Take, B&W MT, etc.)?
    P.S. Does the THX certification of the Yamaha give it any advantage for my needs?
    Any opinion will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Ariel.

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, I wouldn't go for satelite speakers in a music listening system. These speakers are simply aren't as good as floorstanding speakers in the same price (physically impossible).
    If you insist, I would pass on the Yamaha because it's mainly great in home theater and less in music, while the Denon does a good job at both. The HK has a very "in your face" sound that can mislead you to think its better than the rest but after you'll listen for a while you'll hear its flaws.
    In anycase don't buy the reciever without hearing it with your speakers.

3. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    the yamaha is mainly great in home theater and less in music?? have you heard one setup properly? i have the 1500 and i can say its sounds fantastic with music or movies

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think as many people would say the oposite too, it all depends on the model, settings and speakers and even enviroment (room).

Yamaha with pure direct certainly is an improvement over the standard stereo signal, my bass units on my floorstander certainly benifited, alot faster and punchier.

5. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually did hear a lot of setups with Yamaha receivers. All these setups weren't good for music for several reasons: a. Yamaha recievers add too much bass (more than the rest) and as a result the outcome is different from the original sound. b. Yamaha produces a very cold sound, somewhat mechanic.
    In home theather Yamaha does a great job because you don't need to hear the movie exactly as it was suppost to be, extra effects can only help.

6. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    well thats your opinion and your welcome to express it, i heard a denon when i got my 1500 and didnt like it, dont know why just couldnt put my finger on it. the only way to choose is to hear them and not go totally on what people say here

7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I demoed a H/K the other day as I was looking to get one and can honestly say that it performed fantastic, It has a clever device called logic 7 which envelopes you in sound when you are using it for music ( I was impressed ) but my main purpose for purchase was for home cinema and that swung it for me I was well impressed, I expected it to be weak in sound due to the low watts per channel but I was wrong it sounded more poweerful than my 100 wpc pioneer.
    Now I am not saying that it is better than any of the other amps in your list but dont count it out, I nearly did , Now I have one on order,, well I got the AVR335.

Good luck in your choice Oh and in case you were wondering what speakers the store was using it was the Mordaunt short premier plus ( I want these as well but no funds left).

Cheers Darko

8. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one will you choose? I live outside the UK and these 3 models cost the same as well as Pioneer 1014/1015 and Onkyo 603 (do you believe the Pioneer and the Onkyo are so expensive here???). Therefore, I have narrowed my search to these 3 models which cost more or less the same (the H/K is a little bit more expensive than the 2 others by a few 10s of dollars). Please tell me what you would take.
    Thanks a lot.
    Ariel.

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have a 750SE which was the first of the new breed of Yamaha amps with the pure direct, I also was on the verge of buying a similar priced dennon but the sound on the 750SE was so much better then I used to get on my older yamaha A5/A1/AX1 that I went for it and have not regretted it.
    Historically Yamaha have not had a decent musical amp, but that has changed as they received so much critisism for it!

Hope that helps, I would imagine with the better DACS and amps in the 1500 that it would sound much better, a few months ago What Sound & Hifi did a review of the new 757 SE and they said the new DACS made quite a difference all round.

Cheers
    Tone

10. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What speakers do you have?

All the mentioned recievers are good, the question is which fits best with your personal speakers. The way to match the receiver to the speakers is to hear personally all the combinations with your speakers.

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    My speakers are a set of B&W's 602s2 LCR60 601s2 Yamaha front effect and a pair of Dipoles for the surround back. I have an old Yamaha SW90 Sub.
    These speakers are not as bright as some I listened to but they work for me!

Cheers

Tone

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    What sort of sound would you say it had, as the MS speakers have metal domes they can be a bit forward, so i'm guessing the sound was more neutral than crass or was it fully forward in your face (although the speakers will have an efect on this).

13. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and now I have the 702, 2805, 1500 and 435 by Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and H/K offered for about the same price. I will connect these to a 5.1 Energy Take speakers (the new Take series). What receiver will be the best choice? Are there any new important features available in any of those which are not available in the others? Do the new models (703, 2806, 1600, 440) contain any new important features?
    Thanks people!

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The yamaha will have HDMI with upconversion (although you'd need 2600 for upscaling too) from well everything composite through to component.

15. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Is this correct? I thought that the 1600 upscaled as well. :confused:

16. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Th 1600 will take a 480i and turn it to 480p where as the 2600 does it all the way up to 720p and 1080i.

17. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Now I am getting confused. This is a section from the 1600 manual :-

The analog video signals output at the COMPONENT VIDEO jacks can be deinterlaced from 576i to 576p. Set CMPNT I/P to ON in
    MANUAL SETUP to activate this feature (see page 78).
    • The analog video signals input at the COMPONENT VIDEO jacks and output at the S VIDEO or VIDEO jacks cannot be converted to
    576p/1080i/720p.
    • When the analog video signals are input at the COMPONENT VIDEO, S VIDEO and VIDEO jacks, the priority order of the input
    signals is as follows where the analog video signals input at the COMPONENT VIDEO jacks have the top priority.
    1. COMPONENT VIDEO
    2. S VIDEO
    3. VIDEO
    • Component interlace/progressive conversion (see page 78) and HDMI interlace/progressive up-conversion (see page 79) are available
    only when V CONV. is set to ON (see page 78).
    VIDEO S VIDEO
    COMPONENT VIDEO
    Y PB PR
    HDMI
    Notes

18. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I think this may mean that the 1600 can turn an interlaced picture into a progressive one, but it cannot change the resolution of the picture.

19. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Blimey, it's one step forward, two back for me with all this upscaling lark, I think I am getting to grips with it then I lose it again :D