1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 1400 RDS - 7.1 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scotty Boy, May 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey folks.

I'm recently set up my room for 7.1, but i'm very confused when it comes to using the amp for what sound options I should choose.

For Music, I use Stereo 7 Channel, which sounds awsome.

But when it comes to DVDs, i'm not sure what I should be using. I normally just put it on THX, but is this not the best option for it?

Where I bought it from said I need to find the sound option with the flags (what the ****)

I can't find a 7,1 sound option anywhere on the amp. So i've just been putting it on THX, or Surround Sound Enhanced (Just 5,1, right?) When I choose THX, sometimes, it says on the amo screen. "THX + 5.1 ES" And stuff like that.

Cheers for the help lads and lasses. Hope you can help a confused soul.

Scotty

www.digitaldistractions.co.uk

2. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you won't find a 7.1 option as that would be rather misleading given that there are no 7.1 soundtracks on DVDs!

The flags thing referred to is probably a reference to the digital 'flags' ecoded on DVDs that your amp can pick up on - the flag basically says "I'm a 5.1 disc" or "I've got a matrixed rear channel so use 5.1 EX" etc.

have a read of the manual?

3. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ah ok, I kind of get you.

I thought though, that the Amp can create 7.1, not true obviously, but a 'mock' 7.1 from a 5.1 source? Would that be why it says "THX + 5.1 ES" sometimes?

I've lost the manual, so i'm stuck there.

Also, i've just been told that an Xbox game I have has 7.1. Which i'm shocked about. So I don't know which audio option to choose still.

Cheers for your time.

4. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you won't find a 7.1 option as that would be rather misleading given that there are no 7.1 soundtracks on DVDs!

The flags thing referred to is probably a reference to the digital 'flags' ecoded on DVDs that your amp can pick up on - the flag basically says "I'm a 5.1 disc" or "I've got a matrixed rear channel so use 5.1 EX" etc.

have a read of the manual?

5. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Same reply to the last one. :p

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    This link is for the rxv1400 page. On the bottom of the page is a link to a downloadable maunal in PDF format (adobe acrobat) for the 1400.
    http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receivers/rx-v1400rds/
    :rtfm:

ALso try this. On the remote, at the bottom right corner is a button marked EX/ES ENTER. If change the remote to AMP then press it once it will showAUTO:=== . If you press the button a second time it comes up AUTO:===. This tells the amp to use extended formats ie 6.1 or all 7 speakers for all things playerd through it on dolby/DTS modes.

Hope this helps as the amps is :censored: superb :thumbsup:

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I see no Link...

The manual is huge though, and might not help me for what i'm asking.

Thanks all the same.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It says owners manual, just above the word downloads in the bottom of the page.
    :oops:
    sorry had to edit the post because i realised i hadent put the link in :suicide:

9. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "ALso try this. On the remote, at the bottom right corner is a button marked EX/ES ENTER. If change the remote to AMP then press it once it will showAUTO:=== . If you press the button a second time it comes up AUTO:===. This tells the amp to use extended formats ie 6.1 or all 7 speakers for all things playerd through it on dolby/DTS modes."Aha. That might just be it.

Thanks alot dude!Ok, last question, ish. Which sound mode do I need to actually put the amp on for it to detect the ES EX etc. Obviously not stereo, it has to be one of the modes. Like Surround Sound Enhanced?

Sorry for sounding so noob. :)

You like this amp then? It's giving me awsomesound, I just wished I understoof it more!

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :oops:
    sorry got it wrong again. it should say
    EX:=== not auto.
    You will need to be in any of the dolby digital/DTS or THX modes but not using any of the DSP enhanced modes I think. I really do suggest you take the time and download the manual as it does explain this easier than me trying.

Yes its a fantastic amp.:thumbsup:

11. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for double post - connection seemed to go dead...

as for which mode to be in, my own experience of Yammy amps suggests that you can toggle between surround sound and stereo using the stereo effect button. Give it a go and see what comes up.

As for an xbox game having 7.1, well maybe, but i really doubt that any games developer has the sound tools required to create a soundtrack in a non-existing format... still stranger things happen at sea!

I think what it does is split the rear channels from the soundtrack and plays it through the rear four...

12. scooter

scooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Just like to add that to get PLIIx active (matrixed centre rears) then you also need to toggle the sound modes with the right cursor key after you've used the EX/ES key. PLIIx:movie (or game or music for that matter) will be displayed. I run in PLIIx:movie for all DVD use, find it really effective.