1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha-1400 + Pioneer DVD, no S-video output. Need help please...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alexleung, Jun 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. alexleung

alexleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just brought a Yamaha 1400 and connected it with my Pioneer 667A DVD player via component video. For some reasons I need to use a TV with only a S-video input to watch my movie, so I connect the 1400 S-video output to my TV. The connection above refuse to show image of DVD player, except the 1400 menu in grey (normally it's in blue colour).

Now if I connect my DVD S-video directly to my TV, everything works fine. Any idea what the problem is please?

Cheers.

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is the DVD connected to the Amp via S-Video, or component?

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I wouldn't actually bother connecting through the amp and just connect directly to the tv witht he s-video cable. Then connect the sound out put to the amp and go like that. Do you not have a spare scart available as it will give better pictures than the s-video?

4. alexleung

alexleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah my TV has a spare scart that has S-video, I just want to figure out why it doesn't work connecting through the amp. BTW, my DVD is connected to the amp via component cable. Any idea what went wrong?

Also, more questions here:

1. If I connect the DVD player to my TV (Philips 36PW9525) via the front S-video, everything seems fine. But if I use the scart connection with S-video, the DVD screen will become black and white. Ain't those two S-video suppose to work the same?

2. How do I show Closed Caption on my DVD? Does it got something to do with my TV?

Cheers.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Alex,

If your is amp is being fed a component signal, it will try to output one. It won't down-convert the signal to S-video. Can your DVD player output RGB from it's Scart socket? If it can, this will give the best picture on your TV presuming you connect it to an RGB-capable Scart - beware, as not all are. You will probably then have to go into the DVD player's menu to disable component video, and allow RGB to be output. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. alexleung

alexleung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion Steve.

Someone said 1400 amp can convert S-video to component but not the other way round.

Any idea on how to toggle the Closed Caption on the DVD though?

7. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic 36 TV and had a similar issue when using S-video with the Playstation. I have to select the av source I want to use twice, this makes the TV toggle between S-video and SCART. Suddenly you get colour rather than B&W. Maybe the same with your Philips, maybe not, but probably worth a go.