Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yamaha 1400 from Germany

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vodder, Jan 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've enquired to www.hificomponents.de about the Yamaha 1400 only to get an email back saying

Hello,

we dont offer silver and black at the moment.

Sorry.

Best regards

even though the balck is listed on their website, so it may be true that they can't ship to the UK anymore (someone suggested this in another thread)

Does anyone else know of any reputable suppliers from Germany, any experiences?

Also if it is bought from Germany, is the manual and power leads etc for the continent and not UK?

2. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one just before xmas from a german supplier @ www.hifi-regler.de, paid about £570 inc delivery. For info, no problems with the deal, place the order on Sunday and received the goods on Friday. They also do accept credit card sales (which alot of them don't), but will require a photocopy of your passport along with the front and back of your credit card.

The manual is multi language, ie it has english as well as many others (its around an inch thick). So no problems with that.

The plug is obviously a EU plug, 2 pin. I recently purchased a proper converter that screws onto the EU plug and converts it to a standard 3 pin UK. Manufactured by power connections, but bought from CPC, costs under £2 + del. So this does not cause a problem.

I would go for it.

3. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That sounds good. Dunno if they've put they're prices up though. I got a quote of them of 850 euros for the amp and 74.80 euros for delivery which is £637 all in.

I've seen a couple of other German websites offering it at 669 euros, £125 cheaper, but so far they haven't responded to any of my emails.

www.electronica24.de and www.hirschille.de

Has any one had any dealings with these?

A guy from Sevenoaks advised me against it (although he would) not only because of the warranty but because some of the internal components aren't the same.

I've compared the German and UK manuals and the amps are exactly the same, except the german has 2 AC outlets and the UK one comes with and ohm converter for the am arial.

4. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't hold your breath for an email response from Electronica24. I bought a Yamaha DVD player but they wouldn't have stock or 3-4 weeks. Wrote them an email and got no response. Ended up having to call them to cancel it. What age are we living in where somebody has to get on the telephone to cancel something? ;)

Not sure if they speak English, but most Germans working in these places should be capable of answering your question if you take it easy with them and speak clearly :)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,370
    Internal components not the same? I find that very hard to believe...

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps the UK model is 'UK Tuned'?

7. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What do you mean by UK tuned? Like the little red badge that Sony stick on theirs? I thought that was just about the radio.

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm unsure exactly Vodder, I think quite a few products are 'tuned' before being set to the UK market.

9. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well whatever it is (if it has it) hopefully the £250 saving will be more noticable!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

10. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  11. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had dealings with both. All transactions were quick and reliable, the gear was in perfect condition. I don't know about their behaviour though in case of guarantee etc.

As you're trying to order from Germany to UK, you should be well informed concerning Yamaha's attitude towards imported gear. Otherwise, you'll have to send the amp back to Germany if anything happens.

For other reliable german online sources, check

www.gb-hifi-video.de
    www.hifi-edition.de

Regards,
    Gomez

12. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers Gomez,

Did you do it over the phone or online?

The bit that worries me is if you put this link through Babelfish, www.hirschille.de/homehifi/kaufinfo.php , it talks about product information - the translation I think means that you only get the product - no manual, leads etc and these have to be bought direct from Yamaha? As if its OEM?

I've actually got it in writing from yamaha UK that they WOULD honour a warranty bought in other countries - this is normally done as a gesture of good will, it states, but is also dependent on the authorised reseller you take it to!

i'll have a look at those other links - the first one has the 1400 at 699 euros!

13. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Vodder,

:eek: :laugh:

sorry, Babelfish often is not much of a help. In this case, it completely changed the sense of the link.

Hirsch-Ille reassure that they only deliver merchandise which was produced for the EU, they don't offer re-imported stuff.

Their products are delivered with all the accessories (i.e. leads, cables, manuals, remote etc.), just like the gear bought at a local hifi dealer.

You always get 2 years of warranty according to the recent EU laws.

At Hirsch-Ille, I always ordered via Phone. At electronica24, I ordered online, but then called a day later to assure that my order has been accepted by the system.

Referring to gb-hifi-video.de: They are well-known in Germany for their dirt cheap prices. They do the Pio DV 668 for less than 600€...

I got my Pio VSX D1011 there for 499€. I don't know if they care too much about after sales services, but as you're having a written statement by Yamaha UK, I would give it a try.

Regards,
    Gomez

14. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just another thought on this - Am I likely to get screwed by customs for importing it? Or am I ok under some EU directive or the 16% German VAT?

I don't really want pay the shipping / handling fees, get the amp cheaper but then get stung by another 3 figures import.

I'm not sure the item would just come in un-noticed either...

15. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I recomend you to look prices in www.preistendenz.de
    There, you can see the evolution of prices in the german market, it also links to search machines that offer you the best prices at the moment, which link to the corresponding shops.
    True:Hirsch-Ille has usually very good prices.

16. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers, I've seen that site it's very handy. I reckon I am going to go ahead and import, I just want to clarify the import thing.

If I remember I'll ring customs tomorrow, unless anyone knows in the meantime?

17. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy with confidence from other parts of europe - I have and never regretted it just saved a load of dosh.

Talk of english versions and grey imports is absolute b***ocks, they do not make stuff especially for the British market, for one thing it's not worth there while, we wouldn't buy enough.

I heard all this chat about grey imports etc etc and the horror stories about 5 years ago when I bought my Sony 32" tele. Every shop I went in came out with the same old rubbish and I was sucked into to what they were saying.

Anyway my tele arrived from Dixon's, I had a look at the back of it and where was it made - HOLLAND and the manual was in a million different languages.

You will find that these shop type people (we all know who the robbing gits are) will say the same about the box shifters over here. The only reason they say it is because they can't or won't do the price, that is the top and bottom of it.

Just make sure you have the pan european warranty.

Sorry for the rant but they do get on my pip.

18. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply Sneaky.

How do you make sure you get the pan european warranty?

Yamaha UK told me that they would honour they're guarantee - is this what you mean?

Have you ever had issues with customs, or is everything included in the price?

19. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WERE in eec so no customs,were also part
    of a " common market"
    whilst distributors here continue just to offer
    a 12 month warranty 24 month is common
    in mainland europe i bought a sharp proj.
    and would expect the 24 month warranty to be valid

20. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You pay the 16% german vat, no additional import duties and taxes are required to be paid.

EU law states something along the lines that the taxes are applied to the goods within the country of sale.

21. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    fama
    The 24 month warranty only applies outside the UK, so if you are willing to return the unit to Germany it will be valid.

The 24 month warranty is an EU directive that the UK government has again decided to delay implementing.
    If you take the unit to a dealer in the UK it will only honour the warranty for 12 months.

Steve

22. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like I can look forward to a new 1400!! Sure the neighbours won't though! :smoke:

23. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy with confidence from other parts of europe - I have and never regretted it just saved a load of dosh.

Talk of english versions and grey imports is absolute b***ocks, they do not make stuff especially for the British market, for one thing it's not worth there while, we wouldn't buy enough.

I heard all this chat about grey imports etc etc and the horror stories about 5 years ago when I bought my Sony 32" tele. Every shop I went in came out with the same old rubbish and I was sucked into to what they were saying.

Anyway my tele arrived from Dixon's, I had a look at the back of it and where was it made - HOLLAND and the manual was in a million different languages.

You will find that these shop type people (we all know who the robbing gits are) will say the same about the box shifters over here. The only reason they say it is because they can't or won't do the price, that is the top and bottom of it.

Just make sure you have the pan european warranty.

Sorry for the rant but they do get on my pip.

24. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technically the warranty is with the retailer, so you would have to return it to the shop if you had any problems.
    this means sending it back to germany in this case. though most manufacturers will try to make it easy for you, if you anoy them they can just turn around and refuse to deal with it.

25. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had an email from Yamaha UK saying they would honour as a gesture of goodwill, so hopefully that will do. More than that - hopefully I won't have to!

One thing I just want to check - Europe is on the same power settings as us? The only difference is the 2 pin / 3 pin plugs. So I don't need to change the voltage or any other settings on the power supply at all? I know this is rather stupid - but I don't want to be blowing things up if I've shipped it all the way from Germany! :clown:

Just checked www.hificomponents.de and they have it!! Only 665 euros! But delivery of 45 days!!??!! Not sure what postage is though, can't get they're price inquiry to work.

26. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    My pj is from Germany, works perfect in UK, its just the pin that is different.

Wasabi

27. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers Wasabi - did you just use a converter then on the power supply like DarT said or did you just replace the entire power lead with a UK one?